1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The new Jaguar XJ

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by culverwood, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Damnit, they just messed up the best classic luxury sedan out there.

The 1996 and 2004 redesigns was brilliant, and this is just... UGH.

They should have followed BMW and MB with the evolutionary changes, not this ultramodern POS.

2. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Its funny how different groups react. It got a very positive set of comments from a luxury car forum I look at. I will wait until I see one in the flesh before I react to much but from the photos I am in the Oh No, No, No, group.

3. alan

alan Senior member

I think the front is what the XF shouldve looked like. I dislike the XFs headlights a lot. It does look Hyundai-ish but i could get sued to the front.

The back however looks plain ugly.

The XK looks like crap in pictures imo, but is a bit more imposing and attractive in person, so this might look better IRL as well.

4. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

It looks like a bloated XF - not bad, but the last generation was the pinacle of a never-to-be-repeated sort of panache IMO...

5. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

To my eye the 99-01ish XJ was the best looking sedan in recent memory. No idea why everyone was going for the Mercedes/BMW over those beauties.

6. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

I love the idea, and generally love this new design. There's a couple things that could be slightly different, but I think taking inspiration from the current Maserati design as well as the Maybach is a good look for a car that has had horrible sales now for a while

7. SField

SField Senior member

To my eye the 99-01ish XJ was the best looking sedan in recent memory. No idea why everyone was going for the Mercedes/BMW over those beauties.

Probably reliability?

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Probably reliability?

Kind of what I was thinking also..

9. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Well there is that...

10. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

Probably reliability?

That and lesser driving dynamics. All other considerations aside, I'd much rather drive a 740i from that generation than an XJ. I'd venture to say theres no comparison in their poise...

11. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I'm really disappointed. I've never been the biggest Jaguar fan, but at least they had the design competency to base the xk off of a good looking car like an Aston Martin. It looks like they're channeling Nissan for the XJ...

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I think it's a beautiful car in its own right. I guess the only thing to be disappointed about is that it comes at the expense of a classic model.

13. epb

epb Senior member

Longtime Jag fan. Not pleased.

Longtime Jag fan. Thrilled.

14. holyhotdamn

holyhotdamn Member

This is wrong, they did not base the new XK off of an Aston Martin. It was more of an incremental change from the last generation XK, which was an escape from the hideousness that was the XJS, which followed the XKE. The XKE was ruined in the series II and III incarnations, but the original '61-'67 models were (arguably) the greatest looking car of all time. Although I will admit that the new XJ probably has Henry Lyons rolling in his grave. I'd put money on the idea that within two years the taillights will be fixed, the grill will be less upright, and finally that stupid carbon fiber strip or whatever it is on the rear pillar will be done away with.

15. track309

track309 Senior member

Also, You will take a big hit when trying to trade it in. Jags have horrible depreciation.

Maybe the only British manufacture to consider would be TVR, atleast they have more creativity.

[​IMG]

Actually TVR's aren't available in the U.S.[​IMG]

16. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Also, You will take a big hit when trying to trade it in. Jags have horrible depreciation.

Maybe the only British manufacture to consider would be TVR, atleast they have more creativity.

Actually TVR's aren't available in the U.S.[​IMG]

Isn't TVR still owned by that rich Russian kid?

17. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Saw one live. Looks like a Camry.

18. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

Actually, I think of the British auto's as one of the more creatively designed cars, especially when compared to the average German, Japanese and American cars.

19. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ideo-and-pics/

A little more modern than the old one!

I looked at the new XJ today at the dealership. The interior is amazingly nice, one of the nicest I've seen apart from the likes of Bentley and RR. However, the exterior doesn't excite me. The transition from the front to rear seems off, and the faux wrap around rear window fools no one. The dealership had the cars in black, dark green, burgundy, and white. To me, it looks much better in dark colors rather than light, I really hated the looks of the white one.

20. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

Yep the new one is a real nice car. Interior is real nice. But it also makes me appreciate the old ones even more. On the hunt for a series 3 vanden plas right now.