• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Brooks Brothers

Enfusia

Reaction score
That makes sense, yes.

Though is diabetes associated with meat consumption? I understood it to primarily be associated with carbohydrate consumption.
Hi,
That's what most people think, because that's whats been pushed, but it's actually not true.

What really happens is that the individual cells get over full of fat from our high fat diets, with seed oils being the main culprit and animal fats being almost a tie.

The cell is gummed up and G-4 (the enzyme that opens the door for insulin to drop off carbohydrate) is inhibited because it can't push through all the fat.

So, you have high blood sugar levels, with adequate insulin levels to transport the sugar to the cells for use, but the cell doors won't open, because G-4 the key to the door can't reach the door.

The sugars just keep rising in the blood, you have an event and are labeled diabetic.

Go on a plant based diet with NO processed fats or oils of any kind, only from a few avocados, nuts, seeds etc. And within a week or so G-4 works, insulin does it's job and you are fine.

But wait a minute. Seed oils cause it too, and you eat seeds?

Yes, when you eat seeds the fat is released slowly. Plus, you would never eat the 2.7 pounds of canola seeds required to get 1 cup of canola oil in one sitting.
Yet no one thinks a thing about it when they add 2 cups to their fried potatoes and they soak it all up.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Archive Blazer
3/2 roll, triple patch pockets, hook vent, two button cuff, swelled edges. They could have made it undarted. :mad2: This guy clearly needs to size up.

6F87962A-9086-4B79-A099-9079DEA1D84D.jpeg

7973D481-7732-4958-8CA5-C5F09C496164.jpeg

Last edited:

Enfusia

Reaction score
The Archive Blazer
3/2 roll, triple patch pockets, hook vent, two button cuff, swelled edges. They could have made it undarted. :mad2: This guy clearly needs to size up.

View attachment 1850400
View attachment 1850401

This would not be a bad fit for off the rack. If tailored he needs the arm scythe's rotated a bit to get rid if that odd rear delt going on and he has some pooling in the back so the collar needs raising just a bit even though the collar is not standing away it is showing just a little to much shirt above it.

But, if this is RTW then not too bad a fit for that.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This would not be a bad fit for off the rack. If tailored he needs the arm scythe's rotated a bit to get rid if that odd rear delt going on and he has some pooling in the back so the collar needs raising just a bit even though the collar is not standing away it is showing just a little to much shirt above it.

But, if this is RTW then not too bad a fit for that.
I think the jacket is much too short on him. He needs at least 3 to 4 more inches in length.

Edit: What @TimothyF said. Beat me to it.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to say that too. But so long as it fully covers the buttocks I don't care and don't say anything because that's how some guys like their coat.
No, I'm going to say it. Covering the butt is a necessary, but NOT a sufficient condition for good fit. I hate that butt coverage has become the gold standard for correct length. Does a dress shirt need to cover your nipples to be a good length? Yes, but I really hope it covers more.

Enfusia

Reaction score
No, I'm going to say it. Covering the butt is a necessary, but NOT a sufficient condition for good fit. I hate that butt coverage has become the gold standard for correct length. Does a dress shirt need to cover your nipples to be a good length? Yes, but I really hope it covers more.
I agree. Maybe my statement was improperly spoken.

What I mean is that; if a guy only wants butt covering length and that's his preference I don't say anything. That's his choice, not mine. I come from a tailoring background and the customer is always right to an extent.

I mean, sometimes you have to advise them that their choice is absurd. But, other than that the customer is always right.

MY coats just cover the butt plus 1 1/2 inches because of my short stature 5 foot 6. I can't have too long a coat or my legs look short and stubby.

You may be taller and can get away with 3 inches. However, for me that would elongate my torso so much that it throws things out of balance.

Reaction score
I used to love the Elliot fit wide wale trousers.
Last year, in store, I tried on a pair and they were not what they once were.
Anyone got any recommendations regarding generous fit, high-ish rise corduroy trousers (similar to what Brooks Brothers used to sell).

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to love the Elliot fit wide wale trousers.
Last year, in store, I tried on a pair and they were not what they once were.
Anyone got any recommendations regarding generous fit, high-ish rise corduroy trousers (similar to what Brooks Brothers used to sell).
Paul Stuart has got some good stuff that I have bought. Single pleat though, don't know what Elliot is

Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m new to StyleForum, and I just discovered this thread.

The past year or so, I’ve been working at Brooks Brothers while in college. If anyone has a question you think I could answer, feel free to ask!

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently Ships acquired the Southwick brand but not the entire factory. They sourced a new factory in the US though it is unclear exactly how much of the old equipment was carried over. A subsidiary of Ships used to distribute Southwick's in Japan so they had a relationship prior to the acquisition. Keeping the MiUSA label is important for them as it embraces the Ametora philosophy. Pretty sure BB no longer carries Southwick though, at least in Japan.

Apparently the Southwick name carries some weight in Japan. Pre bankruptcy the BB Garland shirt factory was manufacturing shirts labeled "Southwick for SHIPS". I always hated that because I was buying seconds from them and the Southwick name carries little weight for US buyers.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m new to StyleForum, and I just discovered this thread.

The past year or so, I’ve been working at Brooks Brothers while in college. If anyone has a question you think I could answer, feel free to ask!

Are they going to improve the quality of their Golden Fleece shoes? Or bring back Peal & Co? Aside from being Goodyear welted, the GF shoes aren’t very appealing.

Reaction score
Are they going to improve the quality of their Golden Fleece shoes? Or bring back Peal & Co? Aside from being Goodyear welted, the GF shoes aren’t very appealing.

I agree the GF shoes aren’t particularly appealing. In fact, I generally dissuade people from buying them and send them over to Allen Edmonds.

Brooks has started a partnership with Rancourt. At the moment, it’s fairly limited, but we do have some oxfords, wingtips, and of course, loafers from them. Obviously the loafers are great, but the oxfords and bluchers have an odd shape.

Concerning Peal, the last I heard was that it would not be brought back for the time being. The ostensible reason was that the price was too high (weird?).

Ideally, we’d just sell Alden’s again, but I don’t see that happening. It’s sad that J.Crew sells Alden, but we don’t ):

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FitSpressCost