• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Or when turtles ed pops out!

Diarrhea farts are the deadliest ones, no one wants to feel the warm waterfall going down the leg

Anyone want to buy my jeans?

uxmna7o3p5u21.jpg

dopeman

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Yorky, post: 10091779, no one swears better than a Yorkshireman.
[/QUOTE]
Try that one in Glasgow !

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s the turn up style I’m gonna try on the next raw/unwashed pair I buy.
Gets a nice look at the hem over time when the denim starts to fade .

@dopeman the look you describe when the denim begins to fade - is it like this? On the girl's jeans?

Daily Mirror 1969 Finchley Park.jpg

When I was younger, back at the same time these pictures were taken, that did tend to be the (cheap) way of turning up jeans.

But I got the feeling from what @Yorky said in his post that he was keen to avoid the visible line, which you (if I understand correctly) seem to favour?

BTW, I found this and other pictures from the set on Facebook - they seem the 'cleanest' versions I have seen.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Just my humble opinion but this kind of hem is very dated! I think i had flared jeans hemmed like that as a kid in the 70s... ouch...
Well each to his own etc.

Usually i don't need hems on Jeans as i find the correct length. When i need hems on Jeans, i usually go to the tailor, as like @Mr Knightley i prefer the 'original finish on denim' look, or sometimes to have sewn turn-ups.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That long turned in hem was the cheapo way our Mams did it as we were kids and they didn’t want to cut the length so turned it all in, allowing for gradual lengthenings as we hit growth spurts.
The theory is fine but with jeans you got those unsightly rings around the bottoms, which were bad enough at the first hemming but looked even worse when lengthening took place after they’d been washed several times (every week in those days, none of this rank wearing them for months then putting them in the freezer!!)

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
That long turned in hem was the cheapo way our Mams did it as we were kids and they didn’t want to cut the length so turned it all in, allowing for gradual lengthenings as we hit growth spurts.
The theory is fine but with jeans you got those unsightly rings around the bottoms, which were bad enough at the first hemming but looked even worse when lengthening took place after they’d been washed several times (every week in those days, none of this rank wearing them for months then putting them in the freezer!!)
I find the freezer thing weird and never tried!
TBH so far there is only one pair of jeans that I didn't wash for a long time (aforementioned Lees) i Did left them in a room close to a opened window sometimes, and also regularly sprayed on them a fair amount of Eau de Cologne !

Gradual lenghtening of jeans... i remember the principle but not sure my Mam did it often for the simple reason my jeans were quickly Ramones style and then binned !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads