• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Look goes on...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like it is just an inverted turn up as i cant see any sewing ?
I think it was @DonkeyJacket1 who used glue sometimes to do hems ?
I sometimes use a fusing web thing for casual cotton trousers but not jeans. Jeans normally go to the tailor as I like to recreate the original finishes on hems with denim.

@Yorky thank you. Your skills on the sewing machine sound impressive 😊

dopeman

Reaction score
That’s the turn up style I’m gonna try on the next raw/unwashed pair I buy.
Gets a nice look at the hem over time when the denim starts to fade .

Btw - Yorky, as regards to washing etc with raw denim . I tend to wear them infrequently at first and leave them outside on a cold (dry!) night or else put them in a bag and put them in freezer overnight . This kills any bacteria and keeps them clean .
If you wash them too soon the whole denim takes on a uniform fade which looks a bit weird with some denim . The aim is to get them creased to your body shape before the first wash ( cold with little or no detergent).

One thing I will say is watch light furniture when wearing- I once ruined a cream sofa lounging about with new jeans - lesson learned !

vdubiv

Reaction score

Btw - Yorky, as regards to washing etc with raw denim . I tend to wear them infrequently at first and leave them outside on a cold (dry!) night or else put them in a bag and put them in freezer overnight . This kills any bacteria and keeps them clean .
If you wash them too soon the whole denim takes on a uniform fade which looks a bit weird with some denim . The aim is to get them creased to your body shape before the first wash ( cold with little or no detergent).

One thing I will say is watch light furniture when wearing- I once ruined a cream sofa lounging about with new jeans - lesson learned !
Also watch what shoes/socks you wear as the dye will transfer to them as well!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
APC washing recipes

APC.jpg

The problem if you never wash them is that they tear easily after a while.

vdubiv

Reaction score
The problem if you never wash them is that they tear easily after a while.
I never heard of this before, care to explain why your jeans would tear due to not washing, I would think it would be the other way around.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I never heard of this before, care to explain why your jeans would tear due to not washing, I would think it would be the other way around.
Nope, they usually tear at the crotch if you don't wash them, it is well known.

It even became a game for the denim heads to say how many times they had them repaired.

Yorky

Reaction score

Thanks for the advice, I intend to wear them infrequently, not just an everyday pair of jeans, but will probably wear them a bit more at first to break them in.

dopeman

Reaction score
Also watch what shoes/socks you wear as the dye will transfer to them as well!
Yes ! No lighter suede footwear .
Jackets and tops too. Limits your choice of what to wear with them .
It’s actually a bit of a pain to live with the dye transfer issue, but worth it after a year or two and a couple of washes .
I have an indigo dyed sweatshirt type top which is also a pain to wear ( looks good though !) .

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, they usually tear at the crotch if you don't wash them, it is well known.

It even became a game for the denim heads to say how many times they had them repaired.
But surely Inspector that article is a send-up! If you crap your pants...if you want to become a criminal! Not aimed at people like us who look after our clothes and wear them 'lightly' and have enough in rotation for them not to need washing but very infrequently?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
But surely Inspector that article is a send-up! If you crap your pants...if you want to become a criminal! Not aimed at people like us who look after our clothes and wear them 'lightly' and have enough in rotation for them not to need washing but very infrequently?
At least Point 1 is very serious. :-D

I agree with Dopeman when he says :"If you wash them too soon the whole denim takes on a uniform fade which looks a bit weird with some denim . The aim is to get them creased to your body shape before the first wash."

The idea is also to develop marks and "honeycombs" that makes your jeans unique.

I waited six months before i washed my Lee Riders in Cone Mills denim, as it was a raw, unsanforized, number.

I will try to do the same with my LVCs 551 ZXX in Cone Mills.

But more than six months before the first wash and you risk the dreaded crotch tear !

An old poster from MtS had what he called his "Project Lees", a pair of Lee Riders that he never washed. He suffered several crotch explosions and repaired it several times. He probably still wears them when he rides one of his scooters. :-D ;)

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't remember any of this crap years ago. Just wash them, and shrink them before you wear them ffs.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Do you remember bleach then?
Another times another crap !

The jeans go on ! Ha ha

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.