• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget to vote gentlemen!

Like your tie, madder tones seem to particularly suit paisley.

My paisley tie, one colour, very versatile, good for weddings.

IMG_20191027_204138.jpg

houselight

Reaction score
sorry as I'm sure this has been done to death:

anyone have a suggestion for DM 1461/1460 alternatives that are at just about the same price point? Brogued would be fine too in the 1461 type of profile and I'm a poor student so I don't have money to shell out for aldens or something of that nature. I don't like wearing shoes without a commando sole, trying to keep a bit of edge and not go full ivy (because contextually it's very easy for it to go that way for me).

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
sorry as I'm sure this has been done to death:

anyone have a suggestion for DM 1461/1460 alternatives that are at just about the same price point? Brogued would be fine too in the 1461 type of profile and I'm a poor student so I don't have money to shell out for aldens or something of that nature. I don't like wearing shoes without a commando sole, trying to keep a bit of edge and not go full ivy (because contextually it's very easy for it to go that way for me).
As you refer to DM do you want air soles?
I am very happy with my Grinders Percival that I bought online for half the price of 1461s. They have an air sole and are really boucin'

Grinders Percival.jpg
edit: @houselight of course you also have Solovair that does plains or brogues with air soles. They are a tad more expensive than MiE DMs.
George Cox does very nice plains (1461s) with air soles too, but they are only available at Britboot and the price is steep.

COX.jpg
George Cox

Last edited:

houselight

Reaction score
As you refer to DM do you want air soles?
I am very happy with my Grinders Percival that I bought online for half the price of 1461s. They have an air sole and are really boucin'

View attachment 1267873

those could definitely work. I guess I'm looking for something a bit more 'grown up' but also chunky. Air soles aren't a necessity. just something that fits into the harder side of 'the look' while looking at home with a heavy tweed jacket or something of that nature. wides and half sizes would be a plus too, since docs have always been slightly off for my feet.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
those could definitely work. I guess I'm looking for something a bit more 'grown up' but also chunky. Air soles aren't a necessity. just something that fits into the harder side of 'the look' while looking at home with a heavy tweed jacket or something of that nature. wides and half sizes would be a plus too, since docs have always been slightly off for my feet.
Grinders are wide but don't do Half sizes (and they run a bit small) but Solovair does.
Otherwise if you are looking for Plains/Smooths or Brogues with dainite or leather soles there are plenty of options !

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I guess I'm looking for something a bit more 'grown up' but also chunky. Air soles aren't a necessity. just something that fits into the harder side of 'the look' while looking at home with a heavy tweed jacket or something of that nature...
Chunky they are. :-D

Grinders 1.jpg

Grinders 3.jpg

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
If only they were still really British, eh?

This is an interesting remark Mr K. We all know that the stuff of most of the "big" brands we like is no longer MiE or MiUSA or MiF etc. Except when they do special items/collections, made in the country of origin of the make.
Now it is a bit sad when it's smaller brands, "house" of renown.
Last year i bought a very nice - and expensive, even in sales - Shetland Tweed Blazer at Cordings, London.
I asked the salesman if the jacket was made in UK.
He was a bit embarrassed.
He told me : "Ahem. The cloth is made in UK, but the jacket is made somewhere in Eastern Europe"...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Thank you! It was tight at the end and I was delighted to win. Thanks guys for your support.

I do have a couple of ideas that may open things up to SW&D posters but should be pleased to have suggestions.
Maybe you could start by telling us a little about these ideas ?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One idea is quite specific - Your Favourite Boots (which would have to be combined in an outfit).

The other more open - The Cut of your Jib. Here entrants would be invited to show us a typical fit - one that they feel defines their look.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Mr Knightley, both topics are interesting and very "wide". Maybe a bit too wide in fact (imho). If it's open to the Yin and Yang of the Forum you can imagine the differences between posters. It could be interesting but it also could be a bloody mess. I think (just my two cents though) that you miss a context.
For example : The cut of your Jib in smart casual, or your favourite boots in a country attire, etc...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads