• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yorky

Reaction score
Good pick-ups @Yorky TK Maxx has had some real bargains lately in my area. I tried on a Portuguese-made PoloRL lightweight blazer down from £395 to £95. It should have fitted but suffered from that annoying PRL tendency to be tube-like and requiring gorilla arms to make it work well.

Italian-made Timberland and Anderson webbing belts for £20 (from £110) were another tempting prospect but the colours were highly suspect. I ended up just buying a Thomas Pink Italian leather belt in a dark blue / grey with a stamped fine pattern in the leather and a pair of PoloRL shorts for my coming hols. (pics to follow)

But your point about buying 'labels that I've never worn before' made me wonder if TK Maxx is a positive force or rarther one that can lead us away from the straight and narrow? I like your stuff very much having asked that question...
Had some great buys over the years, but not necessarily from the Gold Label range, my best was a Daks 3/4 length black belted coat, £45 found it on the Daks website for £1300, but very rarely wear it.
Fortunately we have several good stores York, Leeds, Harrogate, and my wife loves shopping as much as me.
I have about 20 Anderson woven belts from there some are difficult to match up but I'm a sucker for a bargain.
I think as long as the clothes are a classic style or an updated version you won't stray too far from our chosen path.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Only bought some Penny loafers at TK Maxx, 39 quids, normal price was more than a hundred.
Last time i went there, 9 months ago, they had different models of Bass Weejuns well discounted, not in my size unfortunately.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Fred Perry reissue : the original 1952 Tennis shirt, MiE, dark green laurel, and one (MoP) button placket !

19521.jpg

This is an original (exact year unknown), this one is two buttons :
m3-v4.png

The logo is slightly different (but they were probably hand (machine) made at the time) and the original clothing label is not the same, they should have reproduced it IMO, as the one on the repro is the actual one, otherwise what's the point in selling a 'repro' shirt if it is not totally true to the original ?

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fred Perry reissue : the original 1952 Tennis shirt, MiE, dark green laurel, and one (MoP) button placket !

View attachment 1236481

This is an original (exact year unknown), this one is two buttons :
View attachment 1236685
The logo is slightly different (but they were probably hand (machine) made at the time) and the original clothing label is not the same, they should have reproduced it IMO, as the one on the repro is the actual one, otherwise what's the point in selling a 'repro' shirt if it is not totally true to the original ?
Interesting, Inspector. I agree about reproducing the original labels too. That early label is especially attractive.

Good points about TK Maxx @Yorky I have heard people say that it is too much bother to search through all the crap just to find one potential bargain. Yes, it can be time-consuming but that is part of the fun really when, suddenly, among 30 horrible puffer jackets you find (as I did) a solitary MiE Baracuta G9 for £49.95 - and in the right size! Like you, I am lucky to have a couple of good stores in easy reach in Chelmsford and Ipswich. That G9 remains the best find but close behind is this Nigel Hall cardi, which is a firm favourite:
Marseille balcony.jpg

Last edited:

Yorky

Reaction score
Nigel Hall do some nice stuff, especially knitwear, they used to sell it in the Leeds Harvey Nics. I've had a few wool overcoats from there in the sales over the years. One was a Black Pea coat style and a Navy "Crombie" style, it's a bit scary as I wore one recently and found a coffee shop receipt in the pocket from 2005, I was sure that I had bought it more recently. At least they still fit.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t remember if I heard about them on here, but the Clarks x Beams+ collab desert boots are pretty great. Took the chance when I saw them after searching for a U.S. site that carries the Beams+ wool rugger.
I’m sure some purists might turn their noses up at a lug sole on a pair of dessies, but these look great to me. As a HUGE bonus, they’re Gore-Tex lined and have a bellows tongue. Pretty psyched on these. The rugger has been a style I’ve recently returned to, as I love the look and they also obscure almost all my typically-visible tattoos( I really hate the conversation piece that tattoos have become. “Hey bro, where do you get your ink?“ isn’t a conversation I like having. I used to be shunned for it; now they’re some pseudo subculture talking point I want nought to do with).

79004A73-FA43-4561-B807-3903D6D4FA8E.jpeg79004A73-FA43-4561-B807-3903D6D4FA8E.jpegA37234DA-6BBF-485E-B064-9B9621B08555.jpeg2146D490-8BA3-4995-B9EA-43DC52B7F91B.jpeg10AF63C4-D5C8-45CA-AB70-B2003F673A47.jpeg

11CC891F-9BFE-4242-AA34-BDC975E825CE.jpeg

Attachments

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, the voting thread for the Friday Challenge Dress like a Star has now been corrected (after earlier omissions).

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in the shop yesterday! I like the look of the cobalt blue check popover but not enough to buy it. I have a black watch tartan BD from their Ivy range of a couple of years ago, and I really like their ‘knitted’ shirts (“picque” as you gallics would say!!) and they had some tasty linens over the summer too but I just don’t have a need for any more.

Yorky

Reaction score
Discovered another TK Maxx store in Knaresborough at the weekend, some really good stuff in there. There was two footy casual looking blokes in there, who looked quite good, wearing mephisto shoes and cagoule type coats. To cut to the chase I saw one of them pick up what I recognised to be a Barracuta G9 in a Ochre colour and try it on, my heart was in my mouth hoping that he would put it back on the rail, which he did. I waited until they had cleared off, and quickly picked it up only to find it was a size 46, a shame as it was only 50 quid.
To try and mask my disappointment, I bought these trousers, Levis Premium 541 cargo pants. Thought that they were a modern take on jungle greens.

From the Levis website

IMG_7788.jpg

IMG_7787.jpg

Me wearing them

IMG_7793.jpg

IMG_7795.jpg

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discovered another TK Maxx store in Knaresborough at the weekend, some really good stuff in there. There was two footy casual looking blokes in there, who looked quite good, wearing mephisto shoes and cagoule type coats. To cut to the chase I saw one of them pick up what I recognised to be a Barracuta G9 in a Ochre colour and try it on, my heart was in my mouth hoping that he would put it back on the rail, which he did. I waited until they had cleared off, and quickly picked it up only to find it was a size 46, a shame as it was only 50 quid.
To try and mask my disappointment, I bought these trousers, Levis Premium 541 cargo pants. Thought that they were a modern take on jungle greens.

From the Levis website

View attachment 1243680

View attachment 1243679

Me wearing them

View attachment 1243681

View attachment 1243682
Your take on them is far superior!

Another great bargain.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I was in the shop yesterday! I like the look of the cobalt blue check popover but not enough to buy it. I have a black watch tartan BD from their Ivy range of a couple of years ago, and I really like their ‘knitted’ shirts (“picque” as you gallics would say!!) and they had some tasty linens over the summer too but I just don’t have a need for any more.
Yeah an interesting brand, agree about the popover, i also like the striped one.
Unfortunately Kamakura isn't sold here, and it's always a problem to order from USA (taxes, customs, etc), especially if you want an exchange or a refund.
So for US BD shirts, not much choice here apart Gant and the Occasional Gitman. BB closed their parisian shop several years ago.

On a close topic, did any of you tried the Ben Sherman OCBDs from the "Archive Collection" ?

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.