• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Just found a MiE Merc 3b Jacket, in a mix of Wool & Mohair, in an outlet shop - i guess it was there for some time. (I have a nice 2b suit from Merc - yes yes i can see your eyebrows rising - in a silk & wool mix, from around 12 years ago. I think they only do polyester jackets now !)
Anyway, this jacket was reduced to €30. I just took it to the tailor for a few alterations and a bit of pressing, another €20. So it is a very reasonable price.
This is how it looks before the alterations. I like the cloth covered buttons.

Merc jacket.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The Merc jacket is back from the tailor. The shoulder pads were removed, the buttons secured, and it had a little pressing.

Merc J 2.JPG

The color is a tad lighter "in the flesh".
I tucked the ticket pocket in, as it's too long to my liking.
Anyway i always do that with ticket pockets on jackets, i just leave them untucked on Crombies.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a similar silvery sharkskin jacket in 1985 in Afflecks Palace in Manchester for fifteen quid. It was probably made in the early sixties and is made from ‘worsted and silk’. It still fits and I still get it out occasionally. Like yours, it may have been part of a suit at one time. I wear it with light grey strides. Looks like a good find Clouseau.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Guys, thanks to those of you who voted for me in the "Dress like a star challenge". My 4th victory… much appreciated.

The new challenge is up, and it is a nod to where we come from :

Cheers
Your Inspector friend

Yorky

Reaction score
I got a similar silvery sharkskin jacket in 1985 in Afflecks Palace in Manchester for fifteen quid. It was probably made in the early sixties and is made from ‘worsted and silk’. It still fits and I still get it out occasionally. Like yours, it may have been part of a suit at one time. I wear it with light grey strides. Looks like a good find Clouseau.
I used to love Afflecks Palace, I was only wearing the other day, a dark green cord Levis trucker that I bought from there about 25 years ago. It was second hand then.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Nigel Hall do some nice stuff, especially knitwear, they used to sell it in the Leeds Harvey Nics. I've had a few wool overcoats from there in the sales over the years. One was a Black Pea coat style and a Navy "Crombie" style, it's a bit scary as I wore one recently and found a coffee shop receipt in the pocket from 2005, I was sure that I had bought it more recently. At least they still fit.
I live between the Covent Garden and the Charing Cross Rd branches of TK Maxx... It's lethal. That said, I've picked up untold gear in there. Take care Yorky.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.