• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I am sure that is right, Inspector. I have found some odd examples of cut over the years at TKMaxx - in some cases ones that I could live with.

I don’t really have a problem with that tartan lining. Even a bit of controlled clashing with another check is alright in my book.
I quite like the Fraser tartan, especially if you compare it to the Royal tartan that is on most harringtons. But it's true i don't like to show it too much. I would like a Harrington with a blackwatch tartan lining for something more toned down.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I am sure that is right, Inspector. I have found some odd examples of cut over the years at TKMaxx - in some cases ones that I could live with.

I don’t really have a problem with that tartan lining. Even a bit of controlled clashing with another check is alright in my book.
Thinking of it "The Harrington" would make a great Friday Challenge !
Especially as it can be dressed up or down (thinking for example of @EFV or @macjedi)

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I don't intend to win this one ! !!
A few good entries...
The poll will be up tomorrow morning or at noon. With the jet lag it leaves today to our American friends if they want to post a fit.
22 entries so far...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny how polarising rhe lining issue is, but for people of our stripe the devil is in the details.
I have a royal blue FP Harrington with a grey prince of Wales check lining which I like but it’s set back from the zips so it’s not really visible when worn open or zipped halfway.

Attachments

• DC0352E3-1BA3-499C-9C76-29B0C632C6E8.jpeg
    DC0352E3-1BA3-499C-9C76-29B0C632C6E8.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 56

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cruelest thing about my recent experience is that the G9 looked perfect on the hanger with a lovely muted tartan on the outside and plain black lining. But that cut...
The cruelest thing about my recent experience is that the G9 looked perfect on the hanger with a lovely muted tartan on the outside and plain black lining. But that cut...
Black Watch seems to become popular every so often (like Paisley,Fairisle or Camo) and then dissapear again,it seems to be a bit of a traditional design for Harringtons,maybe something to do with golf ?
By coincidence I saw a female student wearing a full length Black Watch overcoat this week,she was very attractive,well made up and very smart,she stood out from the other students like a thoroughbred horse amongst a group of donkeys.
I was reminded of a 60s/70s air hostess/stewardess,I remember some of them wearing tartan uniforms,I came home and looked online and sure enough it was British Caledonian,I think that the ones who stood outside the plane with a clipboard wore a long coat or mac but I also seem to remember a cape (something else thats never seen now).

I like the Loden colour of the G9,I had a Sage one in the 70s that was very nice.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite like the Fraser tartan, especially if you compare it to the Royal tartan that is on most harringtons. But it's true i don't like to show it too much. I would like a Harrington with a blackwatch tartan lining for something more toned down.
The lining of my Navy FP MiE is very bright tartan (Stewart ?) but when the jacket is on you cannot see the lining even when the zip is completely undone.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of it "The Harrington" would make a great Friday Challenge !
Especially as it can be dressed up or down (thinking for example of @EFV or @macjedi)
I think that dressing up the Harrington is an interesting subject,I have worn smart shoes and trousers with a shirt and tie and a Harrington on nights out but only if I knew that I would be taking the jacket off once I was at my destination.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny how polarising rhe lining issue is, but for people of our stripe the devil is in the details.
I have a royal blue FP Harrington with a grey prince of Wales check lining which I like but it’s set back from the zips so it’s not really visible when worn open or zipped halfway.

I like the colour of that Harrington and I wish that FP did a MiE version in that colour,the sleeves look a bit long though which is odd as the shoulders and chest seem to fit well.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the colour of that Harrington and I wish that FP did a MiE version in that colour,the sleeves look a bit long though which is odd as the shoulders and chest seem to fit well.

That’s a fair comment C - in a perfect world I wouldn’t have the sleeve wrinkling and I thought about getting them shortened but it doesn’t bother me that much and it doesn’t get much wear anyway, as ‘casual jacket season’ is very short here and I have other options too including a red MIE FP harrington (featured on this thread a few months ago) and a white MIE FP tennis bomber. I’m really not that bothered about the country of manufacture but of interest the red harrington has set in sleeves rather than raglan sleeves on the blue, and it has royal stewart tartan lining also set back from the zips.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Watch seems to become popular every so often (like Paisley,Fairisle or Camo) and then dissapear again,it seems to be a bit of a traditional design for Harringtons,maybe something to do with golf ?
By coincidence I saw a female student wearing a full length Black Watch overcoat this week,she was very attractive,well made up and very smart,she stood out from the other students like a thoroughbred horse amongst a group of donkeys.
I was reminded of a 60s/70s air hostess/stewardess,I remember some of them wearing tartan uniforms,I came home and looked online and sure enough it was British Caledonian,I think that the ones who stood outside the plane with a clipboard wore a long coat or mac but I also seem to remember a cape (something else thats never seen now).

I like the Loden colour of the G9,I had a Sage one in the 70s that was very nice.

Yes, it is always a treat when you spot someone like that - male or female, young or old. I think on here we reimain fairly highly motivated when it comes to dressing, but seeing someone that really stands out from the crowd (in a good way) can be highly inspiring.

I think that dressing up the Harrington is an interesting subject,I have worn smart shoes and trousers with a shirt and tie and a Harrington on nights out but only if I knew that I would be taking the jacket off once I was at my destination.

I have to dissent here. I have never seen the harrington as going well with anything more 'dressy' than chinos / sta-prest. Plenty of other jacket styles to wear with smarter trou.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
baracutayale.jpg

I never did it myself, but a Baracuta (or any Harrington) + tie seems to be a kind of Ivy style look. Not easy to pull off but it can be really stylish.
I would add cords @Mr Knightley to Jeans, Chinos, and Sta-prest.
I usually dress down in Baracuta and wear it with jeans, BD or Polo shirt. Sometimes with sta-prest, or cords, for a more "dressy" look.
It is really a versatile item IMO, works with a lot of different footwear too.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great!

The way you wear your clothes does remind me of the old days. From your pictures I would say that you favour a slightly looser fit than is fashionable today?

Yesterday I was in TK Maxx again and my eye fell on a G9 in a Black Watch tartan. It was my size - 40 and reduced to £40!

I grabbed it and put it on. What a disappointment! It was tube-like and without shape. A very slim fit with short body but too long sleeves. So I left the shop, as I often do, empty handed.
Mr K I commiserate with you about the G9, I have a similar problem with sizing and fitting of clothes. The G9 that I have on in the photo is a size 42, a size 40 which I do have is too small for my liking, too slim and tight on the shoulders, which unfortunately is the trend for modern clothes. I do prefer the roomier body, but I suffer from short arms,(before anyone mentions it, so do all Yorkshiremen).
I think that a G9 was originally designed to be worn with a bit of room, due to it's original purpose to be worn when playing golf, which is where the G originates from.
There has always got to be a compromise with off the peg clothing, unless you get things altered post purchase, which I can't be arsed doing.
I have just successfully attempted to shrink some of my recent purchases of Brooks Brothers polo shirts from TK Maxx, once again I bought a large size as a medium just didn't suit me,but the large was just a tad too big, but 2 hours in a pan of boiling water and a reshape with an iron whilst still damp has worked brilliantly,

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Original G9 fit is roomy indeed, even baggy. Personally i hate it, but each to his own anall that.
Baracuta tried to relaunch the "original fit" as they call it two years ago, don't think it worked as they all ended up heavily discounted.
The actual standard Lavori model is slimmer than the "original fit", but not as fitted as the "slim fit" pre-lavori model.
Actually one of my favourite harrington is this humble Uniqlo U G4

UU Harrington_opt.jpg
worn with ss Gitman Vintage and black denim 501

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads