• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

andyf

Reaction score
I will cast my vote for Desert boots, providing that they are Clarks (just a mod thing). I do have other pairs of suede boots, but I would call these chukka boots, rather than desert boots.
This is probably a sentimental thing, as I have been wearing them since I was about 13, at that time in the late 70s they weren't easy to come by.
They have always been a casual thing for me, not to be Worn with tailored trousers or the like.
At the last count I have around 18 pairs in different shades and colours, compared to 3 pairs of monkeys, 2 Grafters and 1 pair 1 pair of Mod shoes.
Got to admit I wear and like both. Monkey boots more though but for work. I think overall I prefer the desert though. If only I could clean the sole edging though.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got to admit I wear and like both. Monkey boots more though but for work. I think overall I prefer the desert though. If only I could clean the sole edging though.

Never thought to—- but perhaps sandpaper?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes Inspector, the desert boot for me. But I hate the way the sole immediately discolours on the lighter ones. You can never get them clean again.

My brown pair get plenty of use but the sand were only worn once this summer - on the occasion of the FC military-inspired...

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First outing for my new G9, with Gant BD, 501's, and Bass smooths.

IMG_7844.JPG

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First outing for my new G9, with Gant BD, 501's, and Bass smooths.

View attachment 1255916
Great!

The way you wear your clothes does remind me of the old days. From your pictures I would say that you favour a slightly looser fit than is fashionable today?

Yesterday I was in TK Maxx again and my eye fell on a G9 in a Black Watch tartan. It was my size - 40 and reduced to £40!

I grabbed it and put it on. What a disappointment! It was tube-like and without shape. A very slim fit with short body but too long sleeves. So I left the shop, as I often do, empty handed.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was in TK Maxx again and my eye fell on a G9 in a Black Watch tartan. It was my size - 40 and reduced to £40!

I grabbed it and put it on. What a disappointment! It was tube-like and without shape. A very slim fit with short body but too long sleeves. So I left the shop, as I often do, empty handed.

They've not ballsed it up again have they? Mine from 3 years ago was too slim and too long, like a tube as you say, so I had to shorten the lining inside the back to give it its proper shape. Still too slim though, and I'm the same dimensions I was at 21!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
You're too small and boxy mate. The "slim fit" pre-Lavori Baracuta are perfect for my built.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the modern Baracutas fit a bit weird. I still have my pre-Lavori slim fit Cutas, they’re perfect. I’m no Hercules, but the skinny arms are tight around my upper arms.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're too small and boxy mate. The "slim fit" pre-Lavori Baracuta are perfect for my built.

It's the 7 inch drop that causes the problem, that's getting into bodybuilder territory.

Yeah the modern Baracutas fit a bit weird. I still have my pre-Lavori slim fit Cutas, they’re perfect. I’m no Hercules, but the skinny arms are tight around my upper arms.

Yes, the whole fit just needs to relax a little. Bodybuilder drop and thin arms - who the **** is shaped like that?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Got a pre-lavori "slim fit" version and the fit is much better compared to my Lavori one.
I also think the coton outer of the pre-Lavori looks better than the polycotton Lavori - but this last one as a better water repellency and is easier to wash...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the massive love for Baracuta G9's,I hate the way that the Tartan lining shows (as in MrK's picture) I had mine relined in the same colour as the outer but I rarely wear it.

imo the FP MiE is a nicer jacket although its a bit expensive (still better price than a G9 though) and for cold days I like the Orvis.
I might buy a G9 IF it was a colour that I really liked and IF it was a decent price,I would still get it relined though and that would probably put me off.

On the Monkey boots vs Desert boots,I have 3 pairs of MB and 1 pair DB,I think I last wore the MBs 5 years ago in rain/cold weather (I nearly wore them yesterday in same conditions but I chose brogue boots instead) I never wear the DBs.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the massive love for Baracuta G9's,I hate the way that the Tartan lining shows (as in MrK's picture) I had mine relined in the same colour as the outer but I rarely wear it.

imo the FP MiE is a nicer jacket although its a bit expensive (still better price than a G9 though) and for cold days I like the Orvis.
I might buy a G9 IF it was a colour that I really liked and IF it was a decent price,I would still get it relined though and that would probably put me off.

On the Monkey boots vs Desert boots,I have 3 pairs of MB and 1 pair DB,I think I last wore the MBs 5 years ago in rain/cold weather (I nearly wore them yesterday in same conditions but I chose brogue boots instead) I never wear the DBs.
The cruelest thing about my recent experience is that the G9 looked perfect on the hanger with a lovely muted tartan on the outside and plain black lining. But that cut...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The cruelest thing about my recent experience is that the G9 looked perfect on the hanger with a lovely muted tartan on the outside and plain black lining. But that cut...
Mr K, i think that the problem with stores like TK Maxx is that they sometimes have "samples" or items with defects.
It probably explains the wrong cut of this Baracuta.
Like Cerneabbas i am not a huge fan of the tartan lining. I always pop the collar up so you cant see much of the tartan, and i can live with it...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr K, i think that the problem with stores like TK Maxx is that they sometimes have "samples" or items with defects.
It probably explains the wrong cut of this Baracuta.
Like Cerneabbas i am not a huge fan of the tartan lining. I always pop the collar up so you cant see much of the tartan, and i can live with it...
I am sure that is right, Inspector. I have found some odd examples of cut over the years at TKMaxx - in some cases ones that I could live with.

I don’t really have a problem with that tartan lining. Even a bit of controlled clashing with another check is alright in my book.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads