• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"less fetishy"

Than, say, something these fellows would wear:

CAEA8BA4-8442-4E84-99B2-8A9C1D4AED27.jpeg

user12345

Reaction score
The seventh member of the village people was a skinhead.

I have nothing against someone being a skinhead and gay but those guys just use it as a fetish.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The seventh member of the village people was a skinhead.

I have nothing against someone being a skinhead and gay but those guys just use it as a fetish.

There certainly is a difference. There were two or three here in Boston a decade or so ago who were actually proper skinheads. However in “that” part of Town you’d see some of them fetishists tooling around when that “culturally-appropriated” look was popular with some of them at the time.

Last edited:

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Some vintage MtS style discussion here... I almost feel like I'm vandalising.

I tried on the 'new' Levi's Sta-Prest today. Quite tapered. Permanent crease of course. Decent rise. The detailing is different from the old ones, but it is all right. Snug fit, if i buy one i will go one size up.
The gold/harvest color is much better 'in the flesh'. Close to British Khaki.

A quick shot
View attachment 940412

I popped into the Levi's store ín Carnaby St today and had a quick look at those Sta Prest, but didn't have time to try them on. The material felt 'serious', quite unlike most sta prest out there.

The description read "sits below the waist", which didn't exactly entice me. But when I took a quick measurement, the rise was almost 11'...

The sales assistant said something like "most people wear them below the waist, but you can pull them up higher". I wasn't quite sure what to make of that. Alas, I had to run...

The less said about the rest of their stock, the better. Sadly, they've now discontinued their shrink-to-fit/raw 501s.

Last edited:

user12345

Reaction score
Pull them up higher and get the meat and veg strangled, ouch. 11 is better than some of the other brands at least but still not great.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Some vintage MtS style discussion here... I almost feel like I'm vandalising.

I popped into the Levi's store ín Carnaby St today and had a quick look at those Sta Prest, but didn't have time to try them on. The material felt 'serious', quite unlike most sta prest out there.

The description read "sits below the waist", which didn't exactly entice me. But when I took a quick measurement, the rise was almost 11'...

The sales assistant said something like "most people wear them below the waist, but you can pull them up higher". I wasn't quite sure what to make of that. Alas, I had to run...

The less said about the rest of their stock, the better. Sadly, they've now discontinued their shrink-to-fit/raw 501s.

Yes i noticed that the description had nothing to do with reality. They seem more mid rise to me, anyway a much better/decent rise than the contemporary Sta prest takes i have in my wardrobe.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most distinctive thing I can see in London photos is that they seem to have gone more or less direct from Mod to Suedehead and missed out on Skinhead completely!

Yet 'Skinhead' is what they called us!

Take a look at this photo (which I've shared umpteen times before). I used to go into my barber's in Brockley, SE4, and ask for "a skinhead cut." He would say "You mean shorter than skinhead," and he would give me the style you can see in the photo. You wouldn't quite call it a 'crop' by today's standard, but even so we used that word.

PT 1969 8*.png

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take a look at this photo (which I've shared umpteen times before). I used to go into my barber's in Brockley, SE4, and ask for "a skinhead cut." He would say "You mean shorter than skinhead," and he would give me the style you can see in the photo. You wouldn't quite call it a 'crop' by today's standard, but even so we used that word.

View attachment 944223

Except for the higher parting that looks a lot like the normal 'short back and sides' you would get in a barbers. Was there nothing shorter, my mum always called cropped hair a 'crew cut' but it seems to mean something else on the internet. There was the association of cropped hair with nits of course...

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Except for the higher parting that looks a lot like the normal 'short back and sides' you would get in a barbers. Was there nothing shorter, my mum always called cropped hair a 'crew cut' but it seems to mean something else on the internet. There was the association of cropped hair with nits of course...

It was always a crew cut here, too.

Bela Kun

Reaction score

View attachment 944223

The younger London kids often went a lot shorter though, didn't they? See no 2 crops in Man Alive docu. It seems to me there was a mini generational gap even in 69.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, they did. Mine was like this in June 1967 (when I just turned 15) and got shorter up to mid-1969 and then got longer again.

Picture1 crop.png

Let's look at the progress of the older brother of one-time poster on M to S, 'bunty'. They hailed from SE England as I recall. We'll look first at 1968 when some of his friends were just picking up on the skinhead look. Then 1970 when the hair was starting to grow again and finally, 1971, when it was probably as long as it would get.

Butlins Filey 68.jpg
1968 at Butlin's

Bunty bro Margate 1970.jpg

Bunty bro wedding 71.jpg
1971 - skinhead style suit is still there - but the hair!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads