• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 'Keep Burberry British' campaign

vanity

Reaction score
Do you think Burberry really makes 1 piece-jumpsuits? Like the ones you wore to sleep in as a child, minus the footies? Or cell phones? Or tennis shoes? Or combat boots?

They'll glue that pattern to anything, they don't give a ****. As long as it has the Burberry pattern, it's legit to them.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
To the rappers? They glue patterns? I thought they "laid traxx" or whatever the whippersnappers call it nowadays.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops, I steped in without noticing into a racist thread....

Better go away of it fast....

vanity

Reaction score
Raises hand.

That's what they were. If it was a group of Asians or Polish dudes, I would've pointed that out too. Or when I roll by A|X and see groups of Guidos. Same thing. I call 'em like I see 'em.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vanity
If it was a group of Asians or Polish dudes, I would've pointed that out too. Or when I roll by A|X and see groups of Guidos. Same thing. I call 'em like I see 'em.
Asians, Polish, Guidos. I hear they prefer "Guido-American".
plain.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Raises hand. That's what they were. If it was a group of Asians or Polish dudes, I would've pointed that out too. Or when I roll by A|X and see groups of Guidos. Same thing. I call 'em like I see 'em.
I am just shocked that you don't call Asians Orientals. Or even Ornamentals.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vanity's language is crass to be sure but please all of you men of higher morality, tell me where he's wrong? Exactly what is the primary market for Coach, Burberry, and Faux Gucci print? It is a fact. There is nothing racist about making that observation. It is well documented by scholars who deal with hip hop and other urban cultural issues.

There's a big problem where mention of a black person (or people) in a sentence that involves something bad or undesireable creates this anti racist furvor. Yes, I'd agree that Vanity goes about it in the wrong way, but if you take away the distasteful language, there's a lot of truth there.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Vanity could get together with Shooman so they could discuss their hatred of various religious and ethnic groups over a glass of the ol' midstream and a high colonic.

vanity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I am just shocked that you don't call Asians Orientals. Or even Ornamentals.

I don't think all asians are orientals. I had an asian buddy who'd get all bent outta shape whenever we'd call him oriental. This created much glee for the Korean girl who called him TheOriental relentlessly.

vanity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
There's a big problem where mention of a black person (or people) in a sentence that involves something bad or undesireable creates this anti racist furvor.

Thank god i'm not the only one who recognizes this.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Raises hand.

That's what they were. If it was a group of Asians or Polish dudes, I would've pointed that out too. Or when I roll by A|X and see groups of Guidos. Same thing. I call 'em like I see 'em.

This was my point, the black guys are a group of adjectives: "blacks", while poles or people of asian heritage are nouns, "dudes", with an ethnic adjective qualifying them. So if you "call em like you see em", you see black people as somehow unworthy of a noun of their own, but instead wholey defined by their visual attributes?

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
This was my point, the black guys are a group of adjectives: "blacks", while poles or people of asian heritage are nouns, "dudes", with an ethnic adjective qualifying them. So if you "call em like you see em", you see black people as somehow unworthy of a noun of their own, but instead wholey defined by their visual attributes?

I have to agree.

I'm from South Africa, and I'm white. My family's history there goes back like 300 years. If there's one thing we're sensitive to is rhetoric where racial matters are concerned. "Blacks" is a word you'd maybe here in Transvaal or somewhere else up north where the less "civilized" white people live. It's a word they use because they can no longer say kaffir or "*****r". Calling them blacks is fairly backward. If you say black people, I don't think anyone is going to have a problem with that. But you might as well have just said pigmys.

I stand behind the content of vanity's arguments, but even as a fairly unpolitically correct person, you have to show some basic level of respect for people.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just find the disparity between Burberry's image in the USA and their image in ole Blighty entertaining
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads