• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 'Keep Burberry British' campaign

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
I have to agree.

I'm from South Africa, and I'm white. My family's history there goes back like 300 years. If there's one thing we're sensitive to is rhetoric where racial matters are concerned. "Blacks" is a word you'd maybe here in Transvaal or somewhere else up north where the less "civilized" white people live. It's a word they use because they can no longer say kaffir or "*****r". Calling them blacks is fairly backward. If you say black people, I don't think anyone is going to have a problem with that. But you might as well have just said pigmys.

I stand behind the content of vanity's arguments, but even as a fairly unpolitically correct person, you have to show some basic level of respect for people.

Would you be bent out of shape if he said "a bunch of whites"? Or even "a bunch of rednecks"? Should the rugby team change their name now?
tounge.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
This was my point, the black guys are a group of adjectives: "blacks", while poles or people of asian heritage are nouns, "dudes", with an ethnic adjective qualifying them. So if you "call em like you see em", you see black people as somehow unworthy of a noun of their own, but instead wholey defined by their visual attributes?
to be fair, a bunch of Polishes brings up images of sausages at a football game and a bunch of Chineses doesn't really work. We use Jews, Christians, Muslims, Americans, Italians, Koreans etc, but say French Dudes, Japanese Dudes etc because of the way the words are spelled.

I find a lot of what he said odd, but not this part.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
to be fair, a bunch of Polishes brings up images of sausages at a football game and a bunch of Chineses doesn't really work. We use Jews, Christians, Muslims, Americans, Italians, Koreans etc, but say French Dudes, Japanese Dudes etc because of the way the words are spelled. I find a lot of what he said odd, but not this part.
One that really pisses me off is "Greeks." Damn fratties. If you are unable to use the word malakas in every other sentence syntactically and grammatically ok, you cannot call yourself that.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vanity
When you walk into Bloomingdales and see a group of the walking dead wearing Burberry patterened 1-piece jumpsuits, browsing for more Burberry, it's safe to assume anyone witnessing this dibacle would never, ever purchase that brand again. It's not that zombies ruined Burberry, the undead culturecheapened it. Their hilariously awful knockoffs mixed with the pieces they actually can afford only heightens how terrible it is. I personally think that pattern is hideous to begin with and when I see some cadaverous cannibal wearing Burberry do-rag next to a businessman holding his Burberry umbrella, I can't help but laugh. Burberry is the epitome of "necromancy"
teacha.gif
fixed it for you
dawn10qy6.jpg

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
One that really pisses me off is "Greeks." Damn fratties. If you are unable to use the word malakas in every other sentence syntactically and grammatically ok, you cannot call yourself that.
Malakas Can't you add malakas anywhere and make it sound ok? heheheh

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Would you be bent out of shape if he said "a bunch of whites"? Or even "a bunch of rednecks"? Should the rugby team change their name now?
tounge.gif

No, I wouldn't have been bent out of shape if he said that because let's face it, my whiteness is hardly something that works against me, and has not been the object of scorn like others ethnicities have in the past.

I think red knecks are funny. I just object to saying "blacks" because of where I'm from and how it sounds to me. That particular word has a very ugly ring to it and when there's a nicer alternative (that isn't the rediculous "African American"), I think one should use it.

vanity

Reaction score
THERE! SEE! That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about but with Burberry!

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rofl...do they use these cars after the wedding too?

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vanity
THERE! SEE! That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about but with Burberry!
So one couple's unfortunate bad taste in wedding themes somehow proves that an entire race of people has ruined status brands? Give me a break.

Rampart

Reaction score
I've noticed that alot of Burberry lately is either made in the USA or UK. Does anyone know if they still make items, such as shirts, jackets, etc in Italy any more? I know they make ties there still..

Ram

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads