• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese show you noobs how to pair up odd jackets and colored pants

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
I know I said this with regard to the Orange Pant Issue a few years back but last time I was in Italy I do not recall seeing one person wearing bright pink pants.

Maybe I am not looking in the right places.

What I did notice on my last trip was a lot of mustard yellow pants. A lot means like 4 pairs seen in one week.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
By odd he means queer, and by queer, he means strange.

Yeah, but that's not what is usually meant by the phrase 'odd jacket', and I'm pretty sure is not what was meant in the title of this thread.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Yeah, but that's not what is usually meant by the phrase 'odd jacket', and I'm pretty sure is not what was meant in the title of this thread.

I agree with you, but maybe he meant a jacket that didnt have a strong pattern and was just a very simple jacket.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Am I missing a great second degree joke about odd jacket?
Is irony lost on us or the op interpreted odd as queer?

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Am I missing a great second degree joke about odd jacket?
Is irony lost on us or the op interpreted odd as queer?

I really have no idea myself
alien.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The lemon trousers look good Augustus...
The lemon colour is heavenly matched with the blues of the shirt and blazer...

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 330CK
From what I know, the Japanese are taught at a young age that dressing well is a very important key to success in the business world.

Perhaps even more importantly the Japanese are taught from a very early age to do as others do and not stand out, not get left behind. If everybody else is wearing orange trousers and you're not, why, you must be strange! So you get out there and spend your hard-earned wages on $250 orange trousers like a good boy. Three months later everybody is wearing black jeans. What, you're NOT wearing black jeans?! What's wrong with you?! And so on, without end.

The fear of appearing not to be part of the group is a tremendous driver of behaviour in Japan. It's a culture of conformism and obedience. In countries like the US or the UK the message tends to be "do your own thing, express yourself in your own way".

Having said that I wish the average UK person would pay just a leetle more attention to their appearance.
smile.gif

TD

mltokyo

Reaction score
Yes, I agree. Good clarification tokyodandy.
All are wearing suits, but some take pride in how they look and do it well, and some do it atrociously.

One possible exception to the conformity is during university years. You'll see many uni students get creative and try new styles, crazy hair, etc., but come their senior year and they have to start looking for a job, they clean up quickly and adopt the uniform for interviewing. I saw many a friend transform from the wild man to the typical shichisan business nerd overnight.
This, and university life in general, is seen as the last chance to relax, have fun, and perhaps rebel a little before they have to start the grind of being an adult.
Still, td's comment about everyone trying to fit it still rings true. In the case of uni students, I guess it could be called a case of rebellious conformity.

Interesting culture.

ml

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Japan is a fascinating culture full of paradox..
Japan is very creative in the fields of design and technology but is still obsessed with conformism and groupthink..
It is still in their national psyche...
My students were still wearing school uniforms with pride and when going out were still wearing a different unofficial version of it..
I went with one of them on a website to watch the different teenage fashions coming to a certain part of Tokyo wearing crazy cartoon characters clothes or different styles from Californian bimbos to punks..
Even when wearing crazy clothing ,there was still a sense of uniformity and conformism..Strange..

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Even when wearing crazy clothing ,there was still a sense of uniformity and conformism..Strange..
I don't think it's restricted to Japan - more pronounced, likely.

Augustus Davies

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Last season that color combo was shown with RLPL slippers

pPOLO2-5337638_standard_v330.jpg

Mr. Monty, Your signature, isn't that the ******* truth. Really gives a person something to think about....

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by instep
I don't think it's restricted to Japan - more pronounced, likely.

Exactly. There are conformists in every culture. It's just that in Japan there are so few non-conformists!

TD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads