• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hunger Games

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The RubeBabes
2122.png
are all eagerly awaiting the HG film.
Shall I join them at the theatre?

You wouldn't get it.

Sawdust

Reaction score
This actually looks really good. It may entice me into reading the books. Although aren't they for kids?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my 9 year old read the series in a few days

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:facepalm:

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the trailer I won't be watching it. The one and only film I will ever need about kids killing each other for survival and the sport of others is "Battle Royale".

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's still pretty rad and violent, considering how young some kids reading it are. But then, I read all sorts of weird **** when I was little and I turned out mostly okay. Any experience with the battle royale novels, which I believe predate the manga?

This is actually germane to why I opened this thread.
My boy is 11 and I just noticed that he was reading it. I have no idea what it is about, I just remembered that I saw a thread about it on here. So, in your opinion, is 11 too young to be reading this series? He just finished the maze runner series and really liked those and I'd imagine that is what steered him in this direction. Fwiw, I think he got the book from school.
Also, I'm not that uptight in general but at the same time don't think he needs to be reading really adult books at that age.

Opinions?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hunger-games-poster_510.jpg

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From the trailer, this movie looks ******* marsupialed. Sophomoric garbage. And a rehash of the Running Man.

I just read about the author's "inspiration" novel and LOLd.

The lines between a reality show competition and war coverage "began to blur in this very unsettling way."[6] She also cites the Greek myth of Theseus, in which the city of Athens was forced to send young men and women to Crete to be devoured by the Minotaur, as inspiration for the nation of Panem; she explains, "Crete was sending a very clear message: 'Mess with us and we'll do something worse than kill you. We'll kill your children.'"[6] Collins also said that similar stories hit her hard when she was young, since her father fought in the Vietnam War and she was frightened knowing that he was there.

A lot of young girls like this book, yes? When I first heard the title, I assumed it was about cliques and anorexia. ("Hunger" games) :lol: Why is it called that?

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
'The Hunger Games' earns a record-breaking $19.7 million at midnight screenings

The Games have officially begun!

Last night, The Hunger Games grossed a truly staggering $19.7 million from midnight showings across the country — the highest midnight total ever for a non-sequel, and the seventh highest midnight total ever (behind three Harry Potters and three Twilights). After only a few hours, it’s clear that the film is already a smash, and it’s almost certainly headed for a debut well above the $100 million mark.

Sure, the overnight figure can’t compare to the $43.5 million that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2 conjured up at midnight shows last year (on its way to $169.3 million — the highest opening weekend of all time), or the $30.3 million that The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 1 found at midnight on its way to $138.1 million, but it’s likely that The Hunger Games, which doesn’t have the same amount of built-in sequel anticipation, won’t face the same weekend frontloadedness as those titles. Saturday and Sunday grosses should prove quite sturdy. Back in 2008, The Dark Knight earned $18.5 million at midnight, but still managed a stunning $158 million debut — the second highest debut of all time — proving that not every blockbuster makes a full 25 percent of its opening weekend gross at midnight.

Based on this $19.7 million figure, The Hunger Games should take in at least $50 million on Friday and could reach as high as $150 million over the full weekend frame — although that estimation is very bullish. My fellow box office prognosticating colleague John Young is predicting a more sensible $130 million weekend. We’ll have to wait and see see how high it climbs, so stay tuned to EW.com for box office updates throughout the weekend.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just saw the movie on a plane, my son has been telling me I should see it so that we can discuss it. well made, hot chick, not too gory for little kids. not bad

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads