• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hunger Games

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I keep going back and forth. When I first heard Jennifer Lawrence got the part, I was disappointed as I really wanted someone younger and thinner (Hailee Steinfeld is my ideal Katniss). After the EW cover, I adored her. However, recent pictures of Lawrence show she's as heavy as ever so I'm back to wishing Hailee got the part.
Hailee Steinfeld isn't attractive enough to play a convincing Katniss. Remember, this is a girl who starts out pretty filthy and haggard, but who cleans up nicely when she's prepping for the competition: the eyebrow plucking, the Brazilian waxing, etc. Furthermore, this has got to be a girl attractive enough to make Peeta (and/or other boys) fall madly in love. I just don't buy Hailee Steinfeld as that person. Jennifer Lawrence is a little thick, but she's the right kind of thick IMO. Plus, her role in Winter's Bone was pretty much identical to the role here. She knows the territory. Plus, she is HAWT AS FIRE. If anything, I don't think they went attractive enough on Glimmer. And Peeta seems oddly cast. I always pictured him as a slightly doughy, cornfed blond kid. Solidly built, but husky. That kind of thing.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So effing awesome. Click for motion poster on the official website.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
b85Jo.jpg

FOYCH.jpg

via EW

:slayer::slayer:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

My sole purpose in life is to watch this movie.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So, I am probably in the minority for not being excited for this film... or able to comprehend to hype behind it. So this book series is aimed at Young Adult Fiction? From the synopsis, this has a hint of running man to it. People play in a competitive sport in killing each other while mass audience watches on. Would be great if this was "R" rated but doubt it.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Um..what the hell is running man? The dance? Either way, you sound really old so the film probably isn't for you.

epb

Reaction score

So, I am probably in the minority for not being excited for this film... or able to comprehend to hype behind it. So this book series is aimed at Young Adult Fiction? From the synopsis, this has a hint of running man to it. People play in a competitive sport in killing each other while mass audience watches on. Would be great if this was "R" rated but doubt it.

Since the film's target audience would be YA, there's no way they'd be rated R. There's some "Running Man" to it, but no more than "The Most Dangerous Game" affected that. The books are set in a future dystopia after the US was divided into several poor, rural Districts forced to serve the totalitarian Capitol. At one point the Districts rebelled - one was destroyed, the others defeated and to destroy morale the Capitol created The Hunger Games, where 2 people from each of the 12 Districts fight to the death for the entertainment of the Capitol and to the horror of everyone else. The protagonist, a fierce, rebellious not-too-bright girl who enters the games to replace her baby sister, becomes a pop sensation and symbol of hope - and possibly rebellion - to the Districts.

^ Um..what the hell is running man? The dance? Either way, you sound really old so the film probably isn't for you.

Wow, memories are short. The Running Man was a novel by Stephen King that was made into a movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger - perhaps you've heard of these gentlemen?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The protagonist, a fierce, rebellious not-too-bright girl..

She sure is dumb. Surviving two Hunger Games and all.

epb

Reaction score

She sure is dumb. Surviving two Hunger Games and all.

Not dumb, but no mental giant. She survived the first game by being tougher and more skilled than her opponents, not by out-thinking them - remember that weapons training and hunting were all but unheard of in the Districts; Katniss had a clear advantage over her opponents, especially once she got the bow.

She didn't complete the second game, you'll recall, and was clearly out-classed by the other previous champions - despite most of them being portrayed as mentally compromised by addictions or mental trauma.

Katniss was tough, and as Peeta's mother said, a survivor. She was also none too bright, immature, and impulsive.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not dumb, but no mental giant. She survived the first game by being tougher and more skilled than her opponents, not by out-thinking them - remember that weapons training and hunting were all but unheard of in the Districts; Katniss had a clear advantage over her opponents, especially once she got the bow.

She didn't complete the second game, you'll recall, and was clearly out-classed by the other previous champions - despite most of them being portrayed as mentally compromised by addictions or mental trauma.

Katniss was tough, and as Peeta's mother said, a survivor. She was also none too bright, immature, and impulsive.

The only "mental giant" in the first games was Foxface. Nobody aside from her and Katniss kept their wits in the arena. Your claim of weapons training being almost unheard of in the districts is incorrect as the careers were well-versed in a variety of them. And hunting wasn't an option as they didn't need it or couldn't back home. In addition to her hunting skills, she was able to put food on the table by the time she was 11 using the knowledge her father taught her about plants. Which leads me to the actual games. The careers banding together wasn't overtly strategic or bright, it was common sense. Katniss, on the other hand, was able to fight off 5 careers with nothing but a tracker jacker nest and single-handedly blew up their supplies. In the second games, she used the forcefield to her advantage, noticed the deadly gas quick enough to warn the others, and managed to "heal" their blisters from said gas. She also questions Finnick's allegiance to the very end and constantly thinks up scenarios in which Peeta would make it out alive despite his limited skill set.

I'll agree with you that she is impulsive but hardly immature. Keep in mind that she was 16 and incredibly thin when she enters the first games going up against competitors older, physically superior, and more mentally prepared than she was. If anything, her brightness coupled with her skill set allowed her to progress so far. However, if you are claiming she isn't that "bright" intellectually speaking, then yes, you're correct. Katniss herself admits that if they took an IQ test, Foxface would likely have the highest score. IQ tests don't win Hunger Games though.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reading this "action summaries" makes the book sound marsupialed.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Last edited:

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lol'd. But I'm pumped. The books weren't well written, but they were entertaining. The movie adaptation looks like it could pay off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads