• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If they're going to rob me, so be it. I don't have anything worth stealing. If I was that worried, I wouldn't hire that guy in the first place.

Small timer.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a rule, yes, but I have let a couple work without someone home. For me it is as much about security as it making sure the job gets done right.

1000x this. In the current labor/construction market where I live there is SOOO much work for any kind of tradesman, that losing one person's referral or getting a bad review isn't going to make a bit of difference. Unless I have good reason to trust that somebody is going to do excellent work, I assume they will not. I know this makes me an asshole/difficult to work for, but the amount of shady **** I've nipped in the bud lets me live with that fact. Additionally, if you want any kind of non-standard or current trend type work done, it's highly unlikely that whoever is actually there to do the work (vs who came out for the bid) is going to have any idea WTF you want done.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh oh.

We were planning to live another 1,5 to 2 years in our current place, but a place popped up that can only be described as perfect for us.
Over a 100 years old with the original character preserved, plenty of room for family planning (dogs and kids, if nature permits), not too much garden but centered around a large kitchen as we prefer and completely renovated and made up to date a few years back. Also very important is that it’s 5 min from the train station.

We can buy it with a decent mortgage, but mentally the act of buying a house that big now is a bit iffy to me.

Stay tuned

c0de

Reaction score
Uh oh.

We were planning to live another 1,5 to 2 years in our current place, but a place popped up that can only be described as perfect for us.
Over a 100 years old with the original character preserved, plenty of room for family planning (dogs and kids, if nature permits), not too much garden but centered around a large kitchen as we prefer and completely renovated and made up to date a few years back. Also very important is that it’s 5 min from the train station.

We can buy it with a decent mortgage, but mentally the act of buying a house that big now is a bit iffy to me.

Stay tuned

Interest rates are going to go up, house prices (at least in my area) will not go down any time soon.. If you can make it happen now, go for it..
Our plan was to buy in 2 years. That's the time it would take us to save a 30ish % down payment.. We are going ahead and looking now to get something before rates go up, with a 17-20% down payment (as long as no PMI).

My two cents, but if you can get your dream home now, do it!

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought it through this weekend and yeah, pretty much all that’s been said above. Can probably get a long term mortgage at an interest rate below the long term average inflation rate and negotiation position is almost perfect. Meaning we don’t have to move at all, our current house will be sold in weeks ( neighbor sold in three weeks with what i deemed a ridiculous price at the time) and the house we want has already seen it’s asking price cut significantly (Market for that price bracket in this city is slow).

Contacted the realtor and asked for a meeting with the bank.. now let’s see how eager they are.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our plan was to buy in 2 years. That's the time it would take us to save a 30ish % down payment.. We are going ahead and looking now to get something before rates go up, with a 17-20% down payment (as long as no PMI).

I don't think you want that much money tied up in your house. Put 20% down and get a 30-year-fixed (which should be between 4 and 5%). If you have the means to make an extra monthly payment/year, go ahead and do it.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viewing of the house planned. The realtor told me it was very well visited so there was only one time slot. Sure, that’s why it’s been on this overheating market for over a year and they had to drop the price by 10%.

Going to be interesting going forward.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viewing of the house planned. The realtor told me it was very well visited so there was only one time slot. Sure, that’s why it’s been on this overheating market for over a year and they had to drop the price by 10%.

Going to be interesting going forward.

No dice. The house requires too much work in the coming years and has some features that would require a major rebuilding to overcome. Think exposed heating pipes, old electrical wiring etc. Given the remodel they did years ago I presumed they had already done this, but apparently it was mostly cosmetic without touching the hard stuff like pipes, electrical and reinforcements. This is a job I am not up for.

Oh well, sticking around here until something better comes along won’t be punishment. And on the plus side, at least now my wife has the idea of moving in her head, something that would otherwise require several months of convincing :)

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oooof.

The search for an HVAC contractor and system is daunting.

Anybody have any reviews on their systems?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oooof.

The search for an HVAC contractor and system is daunting.

Anybody have any reviews on their systems?

Any certain brand or the ones we have? We just upgraded our A/C unit last year but I priced out an upgraded A/C and Furnace since they are incorporated closely.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any certain brand or the ones we have? We just upgraded our A/C unit last year but I priced out an upgraded A/C and Furnace since they are incorporated closely.

I guess. I'm just looking for data points as to reliability. There are so many brands out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads