• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm curious what the actual zoning is.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's in a residential area no? i assume the city's General Plan map shows that property as the same as the surrounding uses.

say it's single family residential. that doesn't imply that the property must be used for that use, it's typically more like a statement of maximum density and intensity. 'bundle of sticks' and all that, land use regulation is a matter of exclusion.

even if the proposed use wasn't allowable on its face a property owner simply makes a case for a variance , arguably the impacts from say traffic are going to be minimal. and so they might have a occupancy that is conditional on exterior architecture etc

our idiot realtor tried telling me oh you can't run a biz from a residence it's not allowed i told him to go read a book

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have bet any amount of money I'd never hear that phrase again after first semester property class my first year of law school.

I have a masters in urban planning and work in a large municipal planning and economic development office and I don't think I've heard the "bundle of sticks" phrase since the property law class I took about 15 years ago.

'runs with the land' is another good one.

This one I do still hear from time to time.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bathroom fan conked out. It's only 6 years old. There's still power to the wire harness, so I guess it has to be the motor.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a masters in urban planning and work in a large municipal planning and economic development office and I don't think I've heard the "bundle of sticks" phrase since the property law class I took about 15 years ago.

haha well i don't work a planning counter but i do have a masters in urban planning as well , i like to keep it simple !

probably everything that i outlined is first semester stuff,

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha well i don't work a planning counter but i do have a masters in urban planning as well , i like to keep it simple !

Thankfully I don't work a counter either.

I work for a county in Michigan and thanks to our home rule system here, there really isn't much planning done at the county level in terms of zoning or permitting. We get to spend our time on regional transit and trails and environmental stuff which seems a lot more interesting than making sure @Marc Voorhees is getting his permits for all that electrical work he's been doing or dealing with @Piobaire's neighbors complaining that his new outdoor pizza oven is 4" into his required 6 acre setback.

(Actually, I don't even get to work on the environmental stuff and trails stuff as much as I'd like to as most of my time is devoted to economic and workforce development and regional forecasting.)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That setback grows with every re-telling.

:D

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why having two switches? The electrician said it is for convenience so you can leave both the light and fan on and then just control with the wall switch. That totally makes sense, except, in our case, the fans don't have the ability to be separately wired.

Energy wise, I can't see how any modern fan could trip a circuit. If you're buying a new fan, it should really be a DC motor. As an example, the new fan motors draw 3-30W and move 2000-6000 cubic feet of air/minute. Contrast that with your contractor special fan at Home Depot that is 15-70W and moves <2000-3000 cubic feet of air/minute.

On the light side, at most the cheap fans are supporting 3x 60W bulbs, so you'd be at ~250W with the fan motor which should be ~2A and well under the 15A circuit limit.
Y
seems a lot more interesting than making sure @Marc Voorhees is getting his permits for all that electrical work he's been doing
******* narc.
That setback grows with every re-telling.

:D
Most good stories do.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thankfully I don't work a counter either.

I work for a county in Michigan and thanks to our home rule system here, there really isn't much planning done at the county level in terms of zoning or permitting. We get to spend our time on regional transit and trails and environmental stuff which seems a lot more interesting than making sure @Marc Voorhees is getting his permits for all that electrical work he's been doing or dealing with @Piobaire's neighbors complaining that his new outdoor pizza oven is 4" into his required 6 acre setback.

(Actually, I don't even get to work on the environmental stuff and trails stuff as much as I'd like to as most of my time is devoted to economic and workforce development and regional forecasting.)

sure. that sounds like good work, i've preferred to work the development side of things as well. in fact back when i was working for public agencies i was more on the environmental side of things (i'd come to planning from site design n landscape arch). spent a couple of years in parks design etc, and yes trails. it was really fun. love pushing projects.

will try to sprinkle in some more first-year goodness for our lawyers and planners here n there

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1627674479221.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads