• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I had a project half-way done when the pandemic shutdown started. We were putting in a gas fireplace.

They did the final inspection by Zoom.

It took maybe 45 seconds. Fortunately all the leak tests and such had already been done or I'm not sure they'd have allowed us to do maybe. Maybe they'd have had the plumber do it on site and show the results on Zoom, I dunno.

I'm still living in the chaos of a reno because one of the contractors is at risk. They claim they're coming back in two weeks when the restrictions lift, but I don't see that happening with 1500 new cases a day.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still living in the chaos of a reno because one of the contractors is at risk. They claim they're coming back in two weeks when the restrictions lift, but I don't see that happening with 1500 new cases a day.
Shiiit. That is the nightmare.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We're about to hit 1k hospitalizations here, too.

esoxm

Reaction score
I’m on 8 months of waiting for my HOA to approve our condo reno, the last three the board has refused to even have any discussion of the project “because of covid concerns”

brokencycle

Reaction score
This is a bold move. If you want to take it next level, then create service companies for maintenance and management and have the board rubber stamp your bids.

You joke, but one of the member's kid got the landscaping contract and managed to get fired for not performing the actual job.

The important thing about having the wife join the board is you get all the benefit and none of the work.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I would rather my wife join the Taliban than any HOA.

I would rather join the Taliban than live in an HOA, but here we are.

We had a blowup because we got a new HOA president who decided to hire a management company to start handing out lots of fines to people for violation of rules, and he raised the dues by the maximum allowed by the bylaws and planned to do it for the next two years to pay for this new service.

There was backlash (turns out people don't like paying money to get fined), so he resigned and he sold his house and moved. Now my wife is on the board, dues are flat, and no one is complaining.

The reality is: we don't need an HOA. There is a small bit of community property (basically just the entrances which aren't like pio's gated community) and half of the neighborhood isn't in the HOA and can do whatever they want.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate HOAs, and am glad we don’t have to deal with the one from our previous home. Stupid people complaining about stupid inane **** that doesn’t matter. Stupid people blocking meaningful stuff because they don’t understand why, and agreeing to even more idiotic stuff because again, they don’t understand the topic at hand.

Having the wife joining them wasn’t a solution, after attending her first meeting it was always a battle between us who had to go. So we both skipped the last few meetings.

never again

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There was a recent story here about how some management firm was embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars [each] from a bunch of local HOAs. Surprise! The residents thought they were just wasting it like all the other HOAs do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics