• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

P.S.You cannot buy a condo from 1960s in Northen Europe without hardwood floors.

I would say from ever, they just don't exist here, I live in a building from 54 and there's wood all over except in the bathroom.

I don't know how well sound insulation works when it has to be in solid contact with the floor. Usually to deaden sound you need some kind of air barrier or disconnect between materials, I believe.

Also, some kinds of shoes are worse than others -- a hundred-pound woman in heels can sound like she's driving nails.

Acoustic drywall or Troldtekt takes about 90% of the noise if not more, but in a new building, they shouldn't be required.

You should see what a 200 pound woman in heels can do then, but most people don't allow shoes indoor anyway, so that should solve it self.

I'm allergic to dust mites, so I can't have wall to wall unless I want to feel like I'm about to die all day.

E TF

Reaction score

Acoustic drywall or Troldtekt takes about 90% of the noise if not more, but in a new building, they shouldn't be required.

You should see what a 200 pound woman in heels can do then, but most people don't allow shoes indoor anyway, so that should solve it self.

I'm allergic to dust mites, so I can't have wall to wall unless I want to feel like I'm about to die all day.

I remember a massive and amusing argument about this here a few years ago, can't find it now.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It has come along multiple times.

I started a 14 pager back in 2009:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/97584/wearing-shoes-inside-the-house

RSS started a 36 pager in 2011:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/263122/houses-with-no-shoe-rules

and FWIW, I wear dress shoes and wool pants more often than I did when I started that thread...and I tend to take those off when I get home since I usually change pants....I don't typically put shoes back on right away and thus don't usually have shoes on at home, although if I do, I am not concerned about wandering my home while wearing them.
Had a party in my hardwood place a couple weeks ago and I'd say half of the guests removed their shoes (I never asked anyone to). Went to a party last weekend in a carpeted place and I'd say the ratio was similar. No rain/snow in either case so its not like anyone had muddy shoes to worry about.

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Putting in seamless (no transitions) walnut floors throughout my house - ground floor. Upstairs is maple.

Since it's originally a 1949 house, with renovations and additions over time, and started (pre install) with a mix of tile, carpet, and hardwood, the price is ******* painfully astronomical. Tons of demo and leveling.

But, it should take the look to a completely new level vs. the **** they had before. Pretty pumped to see the outcome.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We are putting in white terrazzo floors. I find that I don't like living with wood floors and wanted something different from concrete.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think this apartment is more likely to be lent to friends who are passing through than to be a place where the dog goes. He lives on polished concrete, though. Without issue.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Putting in seamless (no transitions) walnut floors throughout my house - ground floor. Upstairs is maple.

Since it's originally a 1949 house, with renovations and additions over time, and started (pre install) with a mix of tile, carpet, and hardwood, the price is ******* painfully astronomical. Tons of demo and leveling.

But, it should take the look to a completely new level vs. the **** they had before. Pretty pumped to see the outcome.

Why not maple?

I pay something like $15/BF for AAA grade walnut in 8/4, so it doesn't surprise me much that it's incredibly expensive as a floor.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I take a wild guess and say that your Walnut floor is going to be chocolate brown color when it is finished. :nodding:

(If I guessed it right my advise would be to leave it a natural color. There is nothing more depressing than a dark floor in a dark room with small windows and 8 feet ceilings)

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why not maple?

I pay something like $15/BF for AAA grade walnut in 8/4, so it doesn't surprise me much that it's incredibly expensive as a floor.

The house actually has nice large windows and a relatively open floor plan... gets a lot of light. It can handle a darker floor. We've already bought a lot of our furniture, rugs, etc. Much of it is simple and monochromatic, so the floors are where I'm going for some visual interest. Walnut is uncommon enough that it should pop. Flat sawn mill run 5" width boards.

Maple is so light in color, upstairs is enough.

I take a wild guess and say that your Walnut floor is going to be chocolate brown color when it is finished. :nodding:

(If I guessed it right my advise would be to leave it a natural color. There is nothing more depressing than a dark floor in a dark room with small windows and 8 feet ceilings)

We did go with natural. Natural finish is much lighter than chocolate brown in my opinion of what colors are. Ceilings are indeed lower than contemporary but rooms get a lot of light, large window, fairly open plan.

I swung by last night after work and saw two rooms in progress, looks awesome.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The house actually has nice large windows and a relatively open floor plan... gets a lot of light. It can handle a darker floor. We've already bought a lot of our furniture, rugs, etc. Much of it is simple and monochromatic, so the floors are where I'm going for some visual interest. Walnut is uncommon enough that it should pop. Flat sawn mill run 5" width boards.

Maple is so light in color, upstairs is enough.
We did go with natural. Natural finish is much lighter than chocolate brown in my opinion of what colors are. Ceilings are indeed lower than contemporary but rooms get a lot of light, large window, fairly open plan.

I swung by last night after work and saw two rooms in progress, looks awesome.

Take phonepics ,this thread could use more visual info.

Great choice on color.

I used to live in recently remodleled apts. in NYC and most of them inexplicably had those fugly cherry-wood floors of reddish-brown vareity. I suspect it affected my mood a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads