• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my neighbor has a persimmon he was complaining they are too brittle to climb for pruning

was that a crepe myrtle i saw in the bunch ? we planted a bunch as an aerial hedge

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my neighbor has a persimmon he was complaining they are too brittle to climb for pruning

was that a crepe myrtle i saw in the bunch ? we planted a bunch as an aerial hedge

They are extremely brittle. Not so good when a giant male black bear decides he wants persimmons.

Plus this will be 2 years in a row I don't get any damn persimmons.

Yes, multi trunk dynamite crepe myrtle. Dynamite has a bright red flower and a reddish leaf tinge. I have a spot in the yard I wanted some dark leaf color, and had a thundercloud plum there. But uh....deer really like plum leaves and branches apparently.....so that died. Nothing eats myrtle.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I would ever use the word "lame"

48BC7807-19B2-4821-BFA7-5D8178C4BBF1.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We have put improvements (the wants ... including furnishings) on hold awaiting the outcome of the 2024 election. We may spruce up (finishes) the house as the election approaches in the event we feel the desire to put it up for sale. We are thinking Europe may be in our future if things go "South".

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to imagine that the modular, and pre-built technology has come a long way since then. I’ve always wondered why it hasn’t caught on a lot more. Maybe it has in areas other than Metro Detroit where there is some actual population growth?

Everything I've read seems to say that it still just isn't cost competitive with site-built homes. You still have to do all of the site prep, you still have to buy roughly the same amount of materials, you have to deliver and crane in everything...and until recently, most of your generic construction labor was pretty cheap so its not like there were huge savings to doing it off site. Nobody seems big enough to be truly hitting economies of scale from building in a factory (and most clients ponying up for this work want customized designs, so its not like you can simply assembly-line it).

I do think you might get some quality benefits from building them in that sort of setting, but you also get some restrictions on what you can and can't do.

End result is most people go with the cheaper option...especially since most homes aren't built by the eventual resident.

edit: one place where I do think this looks more interesting is Accessory Dwelling Units. They seem to be growing in popularity (thanks AirBNB?) and zoning permissiveness and a lot of the prefab/modular companies are putting out offerings. Since those are smaller, less complex, and can probably sit on simple foundations (they are basically manufactured homes with a shorter footprint and nicer looking...), that might give some of these firms enough legs to build some economies of scale.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the furnace tech just left , for funzies i asked him what the hottest temp he'd seen people running their house at . he told me he's seen 84 degrees whoa

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have put improvements (the wants ... including furnishings) on hold awaiting the outcome of the 2024 election. We may spruce up (finishes) the house as the election approaches in the event we feel the desire to put it up for sale. We are thinking Europe may be in our future if things go "South".

Same. Though we very well could end up in coastal British Columbia.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My caulk's all clogged up.

009ECBD3-8F2D-4664-8C98-D25B6FFC43DC_1_105_c.jpeg

2nd tube like this.

brokencycle

Reaction score
That’s a pretty ****** situation.

On a related note: When we were out trick-or-treating last night my 5-year-old asked why one house had a portable toilet in the driveway. I told her it was for trick-or-treaters who needed to make a pit stop and she suddenly decided that she needed to use the bathroom (we kept her out of it)

I actually made that suggestion but she turned her nose up at it. That’s when I downgraded the idea to a singlewide.

About 20 years ago, my oldest brother “built” his own house. It was a 2-story modular home that looks like any other suburban colonial at the time. He had the basement dug and poured and then all the walls were pre-made at a factory and trucked in. He used a crane he rented and lifted them all into place and basically built it like a LEGO set. IIRC, the walls had the wiring, ductwork, and insulation already in them. All he had to do on the interior After he put in windows was drywall and paint. Seemed pretty much ideal for somebody who had a little bit of skill and didn’t want to mess around with contractors. 20 years later everything seems to have held up really well (probably a lot more solid than the million dollar “luxury” sh!tbox they put up next to me a few years ago).

I have to imagine that the modular, and pre-built technology has come a long way since then. I’ve always wondered why it hasn’t caught on a lot more. Maybe it has in areas other than Metro Detroit where there is some actual population growth?

I think the reason is that it gets advertised as a way to save money and for the most part it is more expensive slightly.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads