• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirby Allison: Affiliate thread

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to wear more shoes made of suede instead of calf. There are two schools of thought on caring for them. The first is to keep them looking as new as possible, which requires quite a bit of care. The second is to just wear them while acquiring a patina, just the occasional brushing and cleaning of the odd stain. I'm tending toward the second school of thought, but I would like to know what others prefer.

Depends on the pair. Have an older pair of C&J Sydney in suede that I take the occasional cleaning approach and put on rubber soles. For the first 4 years or so, I wore them more with dress trousers for work and occasionally with jeans. Now I wear them more with jeans and chinos because of the "weathered" look they have developed. This conversion was always my intention.

For my Vass oxfords & AS DMs, I plan to baby them a bit more to keep them for wear with dress trousers and suits.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kirby,

I would like to buy 3 or 4 of the luxury suit hangers but I fall between a medium and large, some suits are 43R some are 44R, do you recommend going with a larger hanger size? Thanks

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm starting to wear more shoes made of suede instead of calf. There are two schools of thought on caring for them. The first is to keep them looking as new as possible, which requires quite a bit of care. The second is to just wear them while acquiring a patina, just the occasional brushing and cleaning of the odd stain. I'm tending toward the second school of thought, but I would like to know what others prefer.

I think suede requires much less effort to take care of than calf or cordovan. I brush them a bit after every wear, suede eraser and edge dressing when necessary. At the beginning of a season, I usually waterproof with a spray, but that's about the extent of my regimen. The Saphir product I used yesterday makes the suede look more moisturized than the the AE product I used in the past. Great stuff!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@kirbya

I noticed that when I just ordered the 50 inch Luxury Garment Bag that they appear to be on back order. I was wondering if you knew when you expect to get some back in stock?

Last edited:

rusty18

Reaction score
KIRBY RUINED MY WEDDING...but the man does offer a damn good hanger.

It just so happened that today I returned home from a short trip, upon which I had purchased an Isaia tuxedo for my wedding and a Belvest sport coat for hoarding purposes. Having never purchased suit/tuxedos/sport coats of such a high quality (relatively speaking I suppose), I felt like the coolest cat on the planet just knowing that I could wear them anytime I wanted---they were mine!

So I pull into the driveway and see a box the size of one of those PODS storage units (genius contraptions, those PODS). Confused, I see "The Hanger Project" in large print on the box. I figure there must have been a mix-up, as I was supposed to be receiving 3 hangers--not 20,000 jars of shoe polish.

I grabbed the keys to my forklift and brought the package inside. To my amazement, the box really did contain 3 hangers. Beautiful, awe-inspiring hangers!!!. Not only can the man make a hanger, he can make a splash. As I inspected the hangers, I realized that such hangers really did require such a box.

After all, the natural wood grain rivals that of my pride and joy: a Paul Reed Smith with a quilted maple "10" top.

So how'd he ruin my wedding? I'm glad you asked!

I was so excited about the Isaia hanger--at least as excited as I was about the tux. The Belvest had come on a merely average hanger, though, so I immediately test drove one of The Hanger Project beauties. I hung the Belvest beside the Isaia. The first thing I noticed? The Isaia hanger doesn't turn!! Hence the photos of the tux with it's sleeves towards the camera. I was crushed.

I did a quick visual inspection and the cheap flair of the Isaia orange wore off, revealing not so much a bad hanger in and of itself, but a hanger that became an embarrassment to me and my new tuxedo when placed beside beside Kirby's hanger. I briefly hung my tux jacket onto the 2nd Hanger Project hanger and snapped a pic.

Now I'll be returning that tuxedo; suggestions welcome.

It will need to be less expensive, because I'm not going to have to buy a ton of these things. Plus a new house with its own delivery bay.

I truly appreciate this gift and I will make very fine use of the hangers. Thanks for everything Kirby et al!

Brendan

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes having your wife scrolling through your facebook account can have its benefits. Apparently she saw a tie she really liked and surprised me with it.

Wore it recently to an event, so snapped a quick pic - quality fairly bad, but tie came through nicely.

Keep posting those FB pics Kirby and maybe I'll end up with more kick ass ties.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I never win anything! The timing is perfect, since I need a few more hangers. Although I've bought a number of items from Kirby, these will actually be my first hangers. I'm excited! Thanks much!

hangerproject

Reaction score

New Drake's of London Ties

I couldn't be more excited about our new collection of Drake's London ties for the summer. The firm never ceases to impress and continues to put out some of the best handmade ties in the world. For this year's summer collection, we have a beautiful selection of textures and colors. From our beautiful Tussah Silk that could be mistaken for linen to Panama Silk, our Drake's ties are as visually interesting as they are beautifully sewn and limited to just two pieces per colorway.

niklasnordin

Reaction score
Great work Nik
nod[1].gif
thank you good sir :) Im starting to get the hang of it now, still not up there with swede666 or crat imo, but one day maybe

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads