• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirby Allison: Affiliate thread

melis

Reaction score
Belated Shoe Shine Sunday Post. Here is my attempt at Midnight Blue shoes using the Saphir Navy Wax from The Hanger Project on my black oxfords. (http://www.hangerproject.com/blog/2012/06/30/navy-shoe-polish) In all photos, I left the shoe on the left unpolished and the shoe on the right with the navy wax polish. I used Saphir Nettoyant, Renovateur, Neutral Cream Polish and then at the end, the Navy Wax Polish.
Though it is hard to tell in the photos, but the navy wax polish makes the black look richer in color.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been thinking about the enormous trunk posted and it occurred to me that such trunk is smalltimer status. Real ballers have entire houses devoted to shining shoes, yeah.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaaaaaand...we're back!

In lieu of any shoe shining on our parts today, Kirby and I met for a long conversation about Saphir, shoe shining and Shoe Shine Sunday (among other topics) over an indulgent breakfast.

Just a light snack

In honor of our feast in the wee hours, we are encouraging all of you to post any shoe care related questions or thoughts you might have, in addition to giving us all some insight into your polishing habits by posting photographs here today of you shining/polishing your shoes (before and after shots, please).

One (1) randomly chosen participant in today's thread will receive three (3) Luxury Wooden Suit Hangers! In addition, we also want to interact with all of you on social media, so cross-post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) — some exciting things are coming for those of you who do!

I'll be checking back in on this thread throughout the day and I look forward to some conversation, in addition to your Shoe Shine Sunday photos!

Swede66

Reaction score
Crockett & Jones Belgrave in antique chestnut. After a full cleaning/stripping, before and after polishing. Stripped by Renomat, followed by a leather soap. Maintenance with Renovateur, Md'O 1925 and Pate de Lux.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones Belgrave in antique chestnut. After a full cleaning/stripping, before and after polishing. Stripped by Renomat, followed by a leather soap. Maintenance with Renovateur, Md'O 1925 and Pate de Lux.

They look great. Did you strip them when "new" or after a certain amount of time?

Swede66

Reaction score
Thanx.

They're about three years old so quite used. Typically I do the full cleaning/stripping regime twice a year. Between those sessions I give them a bit of Reno once in a while and refresh the toes with wax to keep the shine going.

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Although I have a couple pairs of suede shoes now, I'm not as proficient in their care regimen (and don't have all of the recommended care products yet). Nonetheless, I'm still able to keep them from looking too ratty with a few simple things.

Here's a pair of suede captoes, made by Alfred Sargent for Sid Mashburn (a great ebay find). They've seen a lot of wear and it's starting to show. Although I'm sure they've earned a good suede shampoo or whatever, I just did some touch up work this time around. Before:

Here, after some brushing, Reno on the sole edges, and a suede eraser on the bumps and bruises:

It's a subtle change, but I think they look much better.

LeSacre

Reaction score
I recently purchased (from @mktitsworth
fistbump.gif
) a pair of Gaziano & Girling Deco Black Collcutts. They were already in fantastic shape, but I decided I wanted a little extra shine especially in the toe box area. I used the Deco Black polish in thin layers and drops of water sparingly. Here are the results:

Before:

After:

I was on a roll so I decided to start working on my Edward Green x RLPL tuxedo shoes using Saphir's navy wax this time. Got half way through today:

Red, I might pick your brain sometime soon on how to bring out the bleaching on the G&Gs

Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My G&G Westburys were in pretty good shape but hadn't gotten any attention for a while. I also wanted to darken a pair of Carmina hatchgrain chukkas and change the laces. Dark brown Glen Karen on both.

Before:

After (forgot to take a picture of the Westburys before I put them away):

tkocloser

Reaction score
4-way Presidential Shine
2 pairs of Black Calfskin Gravati custom shoes & 2 pairs of Brown Radica Gravati custom shoes

Gentlemen, time for a little spring cleaning!

Here are four pairs, on the black calfskin pairs post-RenoMat & post-Dubbin Graisse. Just Dubbin Graisse on the brown radica as I don’t want to mar the special radica finish on the brown leather. I know, I know, the RenoMat is probably safe but I prefer caution in this case so for now, I’m sticking to a light application of Dubbin Graisse on the vamp & heel with three or four days to soak in.

Black calfskin: Saphir Renovateur, then three thin layers of Saphir MDO Pommadier Black Cream polish followed by three thin layers of Saphir MDO Pate de Luxe Black Wax & they are looking stunning again! Loving Kirby’s new water dispenser for high gloss shines from the Hanger Project, by the way. I’m so glad to be rid of my clumsy water sprayer.

Brown radica: Saphir Renovateur, then three thin layers of Saphir MDO Pommadier Neutral cream polish followed by three thin layers of Saphir MDO Neutral Pate de Luxe Wax polish & we are back in business. I don’t bring these to as high of a gloss shine just out of preference on these two pairs.

Here is whole lineup. The boys are cleaned up & ready for business.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Shoe Shine Shunday! :)

Got my Hanger Project Suede Cleaning Kit, so I thought I'd put it to good use.

Today, I'm working on a pair of Target, yes Target :O, Merona suede chukka's I thrifted two years ago for $5. I think I may have worn them once, but always intended to darken them and get some new laces. The color was very dull and the laces they came with were like sneaker laces, they were thrown out immediately. Unfortunately, it took me two years to get the appropriate Saphir Suede Spray to recolor them.

Today's drink BTW is a Negroni.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I think they're actually wearable now!!!

Cheers!

Macjedi

Last edited:

Artking3

Reaction score
I'm starting to wear more shoes made of suede instead of calf. There are two schools of thought on caring for them. The first is to keep them looking as new as possible, which requires quite a bit of care. The second is to just wear them while acquiring a patina, just the occasional brushing and cleaning of the odd stain. I'm tending toward the second school of thought, but I would like to know what others prefer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads