Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The German language

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, May 1, 2007.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I've decided to pursue a minor dream of mine and take German next semester. I have 5 years of Latin under my belt, but it would pay to have something a bit more useful in my repertoire.

As I understand it, German is the most widely spoken language (sans English) in Europe. Can anyone comment on its usefulness? I'm sure we have some fluent/near-fluent speakers here on SF.

2. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

I met more Germans who spoke French than vice-versa. French was the most common language I came across other than English, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I guess it depends on where you want to go in Europe!

Also, I think Irish would be most useful.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Are you going to use the German language to seduce young women?

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I've decided to pursue a minor dream of mine and take German next semester. I have 5 years of Latin under my belt, but it would pay to have something a bit more useful in my repertoire.

As I understand it, German is the most widely spoken language (sans English) in Europe. Can anyone comment on its usefulness? I'm sure we have some fluent/near-fluent speakers here on SF.

You would probably need to speak German for your eventual star turn in a Scheiss film.

5. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

time to unpimp ze auto.

6. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I guess Mandarin or Spanish would be the most useful. I like Spanish but don't like the idea that I almost have to know it due to politics.

If you want to learn German, learn German, Germany is probably not a bad place to live. Before English, I thought French was the language to know, and before that Latin? I know Eastern Europe speaks a lot of German since some of their economies, like Croatia and Slovenia were tied into the deutschmark at one point.

Personally, I have always thought Gaelic would be super cool to learn and have always wanted to learn Welsh Gaelic ever since I heard my grandma's friends speaking it.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

When I was in Macau, I thought Portuguese was a nice language.

8. tiecollector

When I was in Macau, I thought Portuguese was a nice language.

I pick up Italian and Spanish words when listening but it sounds like Russian to me for some reason.

9. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i find both german and portuguese to be rather unpleasant to listen to.

if you want useful, learn japanese, chinese, spanish, arabic, italian or french. i say italian or french because knowing them impresses young impressionable women. i say arabic because the day after 9/11 the c.i.a. posted job ads all over the internet, paying top $$$ to anyone who spoke arabic.

10. tiecollector

Dutch sounds cool too. The only Asian languages that I can stand listening to are Korean and Japanese.

11. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

my mom's from germany, so I've spoken it since boyhood. One thing I can say is that an understanding of German's complex, labyrinthine grammar, the structure of which resembles a Lego castle, will certainly prove an asset to a speaker of any language in the building of complex sentences which continue on forever and ever, with clauses and other sub-sections arranged throughout.

12. tiecollector

I think learning an Asian language has helped me a lot. Before, since I didn't practice Spanish much aside from reading yahoo.es, I had a hard time with direct objects, etc that are out of order in relation to English. Since Korean has all the word orders are completely backwards, my Spanish improved a ton because my mind was used to having to think in a different order.

Also, if you don't know basic English grammar, learning a foreign language is nearly impossible. I learned all my English grammar in my Spanish classes I took as a kid.

13. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Dutch sounds cool too.

As someone who works in the Acquisitions division of Harvard Library's Germanic Department, I come across most of the northern European languages on a daily basis. Speaking Norwegian and German fluently, its easy to decipher Danish, Swedish and Dutch, Icelandic is considerably more difficult, but doable. When I get a shipment from Hunagry or Finland, I pretty much just fake it.

That said, dutch is the craziest sounding shit I've ever heard. Dutch seems to have a pronounciation exactly like English's, which I attribute to the long history of back-and-forth between Holland and England. When you see a Dutch word, you can phontecially figure it out and you'll be right (they may enunciate differntly, but they pronounce the constituent parts the same.) Dutch seriously sounds to me like a native english speaker making up a germanic language as they go along

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

German is best reserved for intimidating discussions about elegant engineering, mathematics, military campaigns, and philosophy.

Actually, I believe that in the inter-war period, anyone who wanted to pursue a career in any of the above (maybe except military) had to learn German since all the academic writings were published in Germany.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

german is a hell of alot less useful than it was 20 years ago - now, most of central europe doesn't speak any german. speaking german well is very difficult, speaking it poorly is pretty easy.