• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The FRIDAY - Riot of Colour - Challenge 15th August 2015

Pick your man!

• Clags

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Upr

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Tristram

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Bien

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Cleav

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Choc

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Futuremyth

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Roy Al

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • KT

• DC

• Mr K

• CBJ

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Thin White Duke

• Flying Monkey

Votes: 18 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, if I was unlear and too brief. The trousers were OTR and happened to be on sale from Dashing Tweeds direct. They are unusual (they have seam which spirals down the leg as opposed to running straight down the side). Around the same time, I got hold of a roll-end length of the same fabric from which the trousers were made (Regents Park check). I had intended to get something unusual made to go with the trousers more specifically (bias cut or with similarly twisted seams a la old school Vivienne Westwood), but in the end that proved difficult so I had a more conventional jacket and waistcoat made. As I said, I've worn it as a 3-piece before and no-one has noticed - and I also posted a fit with the jacket in WAYWRN back when I got it (still rumpled from my suitcase!):
If the fabric is the same, than it's still a three piece suit, just made in an unconventional manner. The Duke of Windsor's suits were nearly all made separately, and on different continents (pants from New York, jackets from London), to boot. They're still matching pieces made from the same fabric, so there's no reason to not call them, and wear them as, a suit. It's a three piece suit with weird trousers, and I think most people in the wild would just think the twisted seam was part and parcel of a suit that was supposed to be rather out there.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Voted for FM. Less than ideal that it was just for the photo, but...

Thanks for the vote.

To continue the general discussion, because it's interesting (and don't worry I don't take any offence at your comment)...

My view is that unless it's actually specified in the challenge requirements, there's no reason why anyone should be wearing the clothes in question all day or for any more than the time they take their pictures. Normally I don't even give this any thought at all when I'm looking at the pictures submitted; I judge them on the criteria of the challenge. As @Roycru
suggests above, one suspects that many people submit entries specifically for these challenges that they may not actually be wearing for much more than the time it takes to take the picture, but they don't mention it... the difference is that I think that this is entirely their right to do so (unless the rules prohibit it that week) - @Roy Al
just admitted that he didn't wear those socks to work after all, for example, and I just chose to be completely open about when and what I was wearing from the beginning. In the end, these are my clothes, they were worn this week, I have worn them before and I will wear them again. They fit the bill for the challenge, I think they are beautiful and I wanted to share my enjoyment of them with the forum. So I'm glad you liked it and I don't think you need have any reservations. :)

Obviously it didn't stop my voting for you, but if I had been torn between voting for your entry and someone else's, it would have been a useful tie-breaker. My objective is typically to cast a single vote.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
@FlyingMonkey Simply put. if you are "Going to play dress-up" in your home or office for 5 mins? And not leave your house/venture out into the wild dressed for the challenge?

It's really not in the spirit of the game. and as Butch said, a certain tie breaker.

-IMHO??- downright misleading and shameful. (Like adding weight to a bobsled)
because, if you lack the balls to wear something outside, where's the challenge in that?

However, congrats on the win. looking forward to a new challenge. and will actually wear it all day (weather permitting).

Last edited:

bienluienapris

Reaction score
Congrats Flying Monkey
smile.gif
and thanks to the voters, chocolate medal for me.

DonCologne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luckily I can resist the temptation to argue with idiots.
smile.gif

In Germany we say: "Diskutiere nicht mit Idioten, denn sie ziehen dich auf ihr Niveau und schlagen dich dort mit Erfahrung!"

that means: "Do not discuss with idiots, because they bring you down to their level and there they will win against you with their expert knowledge"

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
In Germany we say: "Diskutiere nicht mit Idioten, denn sie ziehen dich auf ihr Niveau und schlagen dich dort mit Erfahrung!"

that means: "Do not discuss with idiots, because they bring you down to their level and there they will win against you with their expert knowledge"
rimshot.gif

So what's the next challenge?

Last edited:

bienluienapris

Reaction score
Well, I voted for you; I love that suit.

And a message to anyone: if you have any ideas for the next challenge, feel free to discuss them here or PM me. I'm very happy to take suggestions!
Any interest in a three piece suit with an odd piece (trousers, jacket or vest) ? Maybe a cardigan which match the jacket or the trousers could be accepted in order to have more participant.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
^^ Nice idea.
nod[1].gif

Also, how 'bout @FlyingMonkey picks a decade, any decade from the 20th century? - we must dress to that time period. and somehow pull it off as a fit we could wear out to lunch.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any interest in a three piece suit with an odd piece (trousers, jacket or vest) ? Maybe a cardigan which match the jacket or the trousers could be accepted in order to have more participant.

We've done that before (although last year). If we're going to do it again, it's probably a better one for autumn / winter than late summer (in the northern hemisphere, at least - and most of our southern members are in places where it's warmer in winter...).

I looked back over the challenges this morning and found that we've never had a simple 'white jacket' challenge (or at least not since the Friday Challenges were revived). We've had a white trouser challenge, a 'nothern lights' challenge (paler on top than below) and a summer suit challenge. But as the northern summer ends, I would quite like us to get out our white (or cream or off-white etc.) jackets one more time... if we keep it unspecific beyond this, then SW&D members might also want to enter.

That's one idea anyway. There are others...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads