• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Film thread

Zeemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you like the prestige, "the illusionist" is pretty good too

RXS09

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite movies of all time is Prospero's Books. Gielgud's incredible in it, and the set and costume and hell everything is ******* fantastic. On a related note, every halloween I unintentionally watch Coppola's Dracula, which is a **** movie but beautiful and I love it. I also love Brotherhood of the Wolf, which is also ****, but has (in addition to the new Iron Chef Chairman posing as a Native American) great sets and costumes and is, generally, pretty stylish.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is that I love opulent, stage-like set designs, incredible costuming, and acting that is probably better suited for the stage than the screen. Does anyone have any recommendations along these lines? I don't really know enough technical terminology to specify, but I like that stuff. I also like Ran, if that counts.

My favorite movie, and one that I could definitely see you enjoying, is The Fall.
Ah, just saw @g transistor recommended it too.
fistbump.gif

Last edited:

1989thenumber

Reaction score
Just saw Interstellar, liked it a lot

Me too. I love the idea that you can travel through space and slow down time, and when you get back everyone has aged and you haven't. I know it's not a new idea, but I always like it.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To refer back to Fuuma's unnecessarily uncharitable post, Nolan is one of the better filmmakers working in the mainstream today (I don't mind damning him with faint praise), and Prestige is undoubtedly one of his better films (alongside Memento, and, in my opinion, nothing else worth remarking upon outside of Ledger's performance in TDK).

You can't legitimately equate his high water mark with the outright garbage of Transformers, G.I. Joe and Fast Five.

That said, Interstellar is deeply inferior to The Prestige as anything but a vehicle for the special effects -- which are serviceable, but hardly memorable. It's a vacuous echo of Solaris and 2001 with a side helping of laughable metaphysics (referring to transcendental love, not time dilation, which Nolan already served up in Inception) that sabotages the much-vaunted input of theoretical physicists on the effects sequences and plot.

It's got slick production values in place of a soul, just like every other Nolan film. He should be grateful to get such talented casts -- speaking of which, McConaughey was quite good, Chastain was good, (I'm getting sick of seeing Michael Caine dragged into every Nolan project,) Hathaway was less believable as a scientist than she was as Catwoman (even before her hilarious speech about love), though I think the script just introduced her very poorly -- and Matt Damon was awful. I'm always happy to see John Lithgow getting work (he is amazing live on stage), but he hasn't had a properly meaty part in quite a while.

Hans Zimmer's music is the best thing in the film.

:lurk:

Last edited:

ShoutOutsFoMyBo

Reaction score
just saw birdman for the second time. monotonous and thrilling. i was put into a trance by the end, emotionally numb and aware of how my socks felt against my feet.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

To refer back to Fuuma's unnecessarily uncharitable post, Nolan is one of the better filmmakers working in the mainstream today (I don't mind damning him with faint praise), and Prestige is undoubtedly one of his better films (alongside Memento, and, in my opinion, nothing else worth remarking upon outside of Ledger's performance in TDK).

You can't legitimately equate his high water mark with the outright garbage of Transformers, G.I. Joe and Fast Five.

That said, Interstellar is deeply inferior to The Prestige as anything but a vehicle for the special effects -- which are serviceable, but hardly memorable. It's a vacuous echo of Solaris and 2001 with a side helping of laughable metaphysics (referring to transcendental love, not time dilation, which Nolan already served up in Inception) that sabotages the much-vaunted input of theoretical physicists on the effects sequences and plot.

It's got slick production values in place of a soul, just like every other Nolan film. He should be grateful to get such talented casts -- speaking of which, McConaughey was quite good, Chastain was good, (I'm getting sick of seeing Michael Caine dragged into every Nolan project,) Hathaway was less believable as a scientist than she was as Catwoman (even before her hilarious speech about love), though I think the script just introduced her very poorly -- and Matt Damon was awful. I'm always happy to see John Lithgow getting work (he is amazing live on stage), but he hasn't had a properly meaty part in quite a while.

Hans Zimmer's music is the best thing in the film.

:lurk:

Excuse the pun here but Jessica Chastain is a singularity of infinitely dense garbage. The only draw for me was the rendering of the black hole without the addition of special effects, as in all these claims that it was simply some very accurate numerical solutions to general relativity equations. I could suffer through hours of cliched Nolan for that, but if Chastain plays any major role id rather jump into the black hole

Irrationality aside, the drivel you listed in comparison to Nolan would elevate a second rate curry festival production to a National Theatre Shakespearean production level.

All in all, I think you've outlined a pretty realistic expectation for me and I'm considering just watching it when it's available without the extortionist fees of cinemas to pass some time. I honestly have more fun going through Leonard Susskind lectures on YouTube than watching most movies so I guess I'm a nerd like that.

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think she's a good actress, not enough redheads in the mainstream. She was good in Take Shelter.

To watch list for next week:

Deux jours, une nuit AKA Two Days, One Night by Dardenne brothers

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles by Chantal Akerman

Kes by Ken Loach

Saw Gone Girl just cuz, not bad, would've been better if someone like Von Trier directed it instead; the story calls for a director more ruthless than David Fincher, who's "bleakest" film was Seven.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, you could have mentioned any other chastain movie but you had to go with "Take Shelter"... that "performance" of hers is the definition of wooden acting. She doesn´t really convey much to me in general.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well those are just fighting words right there. In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure that ever since Justin Lin took over the franchise each film is made with an eye towards the "Grindhouse" effect. When you think about them from that standpoint, in that they are creating ridiculousness for the purpose of their audience appreciating how ridiculous it is, they are far more enjoyable.

Love him as the heavy in Ricochet and Cliffhanger.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
so i just went and saw interstellar. just seemed like pseudointellectual sewage (transcendental love, 5-dimensional beings, atemporal communication, a/retrocausality, metaphysics blahblahblah) trying to elevate a lacking story line--why was the earth going to hell in a handbasket anyway, why didn't anyone set out to study the dust storms that kept ruining the crops, how did the big plan A spaceship work if Caine's equations were wrong but Chastain solved them, which would probably mean building a new ship, what was Matt Daemon's brilliant plan after having given up on life .....--into a feel good layer of horsecrap by abusing even my rudimentary understanding of physics. the first hour or so showed potential as the plot was building up, once they entered the wormhole the toilet was being flushed. and i didn't think @GoldenTribe's analysis of Hathaway was serious but then began her babbling nonsense and she managed to outdo chastain.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

so i just went and saw interstellar. just seemed like pseudointellectual sewage (transcendental love, 5-dimensional beings, atemporal communication, a/retrocausality, metaphysics blahblahblah) trying to elevate a lacking story line--why was the earth going to hell in a handbasket anyway, why didn't anyone set out to study the dust storms that kept ruining the crops, how did the big plan A spaceship work if Caine's equations were wrong but Chastain solved them, which would probably mean building a new ship, what was Matt Daemon's brilliant plan after having given up on life .....--into a feel good layer of horsecrap by abusing even my rudimentary understanding of physics. the first hour or so showed potential as the plot was building up, once they entered the wormhole the toilet was being flushed. and i didn't think @GoldenTribe's analysis of Hathaway was serious but then began her babbling nonsense and she managed to outdo chastain.

There's this chick who's really into Jean-Luc Nancy and Jacques Rancière who was hanging out with the Olivier Zahm crew, she was apparently quite depressed about her life. You should be watching films by Tariq Teguia and you're going to see Interstellar, don't ******* complain you had a bad experience!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads