• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Film thread

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

Who is excited for Interstellar? I've been watching this teaser a lot. I think I may be hyping myself up too much because I enjoy Nolan's goofy action films and McConaughey has been on fuckin' fire lately, but I am a simple philistine surrounded by all you intellects :)

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one, but I hate this kind of stupid teaser trailer. It gives as close to zero information about the film as possible, while still skirting the edge of what can even be considered to be a trailer. "Oh, there's something about space in the movie!"

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does that not interest you at all though? Sometimes I will go see a movie without knowing anything about it (but I go based on who is in it/who directed it), without seeing any trailers or anything it. It's a little more fun that way than the godawful trailers we get. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't (looking at you Killing Them Softly, I'd like my money back).

Donut

Reaction score
Inside Llewyn Davis was really good. Definitely one of the better films of last year.

Interstellar was filmed in my province :) It sound's interesting though, but I really can't say anything because there's next to no info about it.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

Does that not interest you at all though? Sometimes I will go see a movie without knowing anything about it (but I go based on who is in it/who directed it), without seeing any trailers or anything it. It's a little more fun that way than the godawful trailers we get. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't (looking at you Killing Them Softly, I'd like my money back).

To be honest, not really. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a trend over the last few years toward these teaser trailers that only outline the subject of the movie in the vaguest possible terms, which I find incredibly frustrating. To me it's seems counter to what a trailer should do: a trailer should give information and inform the potential audience as to what the movie is about, whereas a lot of these teasers serve only to muddy the waters and obfuscate.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also watched Inside Llewyn Davis yesterday. Too bad it got snubbed by the academy. I really enjoyed it and it felt very Coen-esque, really funny at times with some really beautifully cinematography. The soundtrack was incredible too. It's funny to read all the reviews of people saying it going nowhere, nothing happening, everyone in the movie is boring/sucks... I really enjoyed all of it. A normal movie for a normal day type of film.

Who is excited for Interstellar? I've been watching this teaser a lot. I think I may be hyping myself up too much because I enjoy Nolan's goofy action films and McConaughey has been on fuckin' fire lately, but I am a simple philistine surrounded by all you intellects
smile.gif

Going to check out 12 Years a Slave in a bit.
this could be really good

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one, but I hate this kind of stupid teaser trailer. It gives as close to zero information about the film as possible, while still skirting the edge of what can even be considered to be a trailer. "Oh, there's something about space in the movie!"
To be honest, not really. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a trend over the last few years toward these teaser trailers that only outline the subject of the movie in the vaguest possible terms, which I find incredibly frustrating. To me it's seems counter to what a trailer should do: a trailer should give information and inform the potential audience as to what the movie is about, whereas a lot of these teasers serve only to muddy the waters and obfuscate.
First of all, I really really like knowing as little as possible (within a certain realm) before seeing a movie.
Second, teaser and trailers are not the same thing, this is clearly a teaser, and maybe there will be a trailer more to your liking released relatively soon.
Lastly, I actually feel like the amount of "vague teasers" have remained about the same for a while now, while trailers that tell the story's whole movie in 2-3 minutes have increased in number (god I hate those)

Last edited:

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

this could be really good

First of all, I really really like knowing as little as possible (within a certain realm) before seeing a movie.
Second, teaser and trailers are not the same thing, this is clearly a teaser, and maybe there will be a trailer more to your liking released relatively soon.

"Knowing as little as possible (within a certain realm)" - what does this mean? That you like knowing a certain amount of detail before going to see a movie? That's what I'm saying.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah a certain amont of details, but not much.
Like for District 9, the only things I knew was that is was a sci-fi, it had aliens, and it had high ratings.
I really don't feel like I need to know the whole premise and the characters and when and where it's based, just give me a hint of the direction it's going
smile.gif

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ha, but that's the thing, though: the teaser and the trailer are different things; they release at different times and have different objectives. It seems like most sci-fi teasers are just a shot of a space car rolling over gravel, with a quick pan up to George Clooney saying, OH ****!...followed by the name of the movie and director. And then weeks of waiting until the actual trailer. Which I assume is even supposed to be mildly irritating.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

Ha, but that's the thing, though: the teaser and the trailer are different things; they release at different times and have different objectives. It seems like most sci-fi teasers are just a shot of a space car rolling over gravel, with a quick pan up to George Clooney saying, OH ****!...followed by the name of the movie and director. And then weeks of waiting until the actual trailer. Which I assume is even supposed to be mildly irritating.

I agree. And that's why I dislike them.

EDIT: And everyone go watch Rope and post in the Shadow Community thread, please and thank you.

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well yea, as someone pointed out teasers and trailers are different things. Too often I find trailers can misrepresent movies though, and I'm glad at least there are fewer voice over trailers these days. I think they do it pretty well, just teasing you about the film!

Just got back from 12 Years a Slave and it was pretty damn good. Some beautifully shot and very powerful scenes in there, and I especially loved how long some scenes lingered to uncomfortable times just to really let it sink into you. Great film, and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes in a bunch of awards. Probably deserves Best Picture over the others nominated (why is Captain Phillips there?), and Chiawetel is a super strong runner for best lead performance, though McConaughey in Dallas Buyers Club rivals him.

patagonianwild

Reaction score
The first half of Captain Phillips was really cool IMO, sorta went a bit downhill after they boarded the ship though. I would also like to reiterate the love for McConaughey, that dude is pretty good. As a sidenote, I always felt The Paperboy was a pretty underrated movie, despite all it quirks.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As KoY said, those overly long trailers that don't know what concision is and feel the need to go through the entire plot are immensely more annoying. I'd rather have an oblique teaser that reveals just enough to pique my interest.

McConaughey has been on [COLOR=FF0000]fire[/COLOR] lately

he's been enjoying a majesting Reign of Fire since 2002 :cool:

Kinda want to watch that film again now. Also, ppl should really check Frailty (2001).

Thought Dallas Buyers Club was so-so, McConaughey's performance (and Leto's) is really really good but there just isn't much film around it. (And he's getting great mileage out of his still gaunt emaciated self with True Detective.)

After the utter disappointment that was Pacific Rim, I'm unreasonably excited about Godzilla. Gareth Edwards' Monsters was pretty good at building a solid atmosphere by suggesting rather than showing so I'm hoping some of that will find its way into this one.

This trailer is 1min too long though

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really @Sipang ? I thought Dallas was pretty great. The story itself did seem a little tenuous at times and seemed to only be carried by Leto and McConaughey's performances, I agree. Still enjoyed it quite a bit though.

That Godzilla trailer is awesome, and I'm excited about it too. I don't have many expectations for it though, so hopefully it's at the very least entertaining.

And you didn't like Pacific Rim?! I loved it, but I went in fully expecting cheesy bullshit carried by my love of giant robots and monsters. I felt it stayed pretty true to old school kaiju film storylines/dialogue, so I guess a part of me really appreciated the terrible-ness of it all. Was very entertaining for me, although I wish the Russian robots and the 3 Yao Mings got more screen time. They got wasted like pussies.

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well yea, as someone pointed out teasers and trailers are different things. Too often I find trailers can misrepresent movies though, and I'm glad at least there are fewer voice over trailers these days. I think they do it pretty well, just teasing you about the film!

Just got back from 12 Years a Slave and it was pretty damn good. Some beautifully shot and very powerful scenes in there, and I especially loved how long some scenes lingered to uncomfortable times just to really let it sink into you. Great film, and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes in a bunch of awards. Probably deserves Best Picture over the others nominated (why is Captain Phillips there?), and Chiawetel is a super strong runner for best lead performance, though McConaughey in Dallas Buyers Club rivals him.

*cough* Drive *cough*
rolleyes.gif

and new Godzilla looks awesome

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics