The Film thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Oct 23, 2013.

1. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

he's been enjoying a majesting Reign of Fire since 2002 :cool:

2. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one, but I hate this kind of stupid teaser trailer. It gives as close to zero information about the film as possible, while still skirting the edge of what can even be considered to be a trailer. "Oh, there's something about space in the movie!"

3. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Does that not interest you at all though? Sometimes I will go see a movie without knowing anything about it (but I go based on who is in it/who directed it), without seeing any trailers or anything it. It's a little more fun that way than the godawful trailers we get. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't (looking at you Killing Them Softly, I'd like my money back).

4. Donut

Donut Senior member

Inside Llewyn Davis was really good. Definitely one of the better films of last year.

Interstellar was filmed in my province :) It sound's interesting though, but I really can't say anything because there's next to no info about it.

5. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

To be honest, not really. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a trend over the last few years toward these teaser trailers that only outline the subject of the movie in the vaguest possible terms, which I find incredibly frustrating. To me it's seems counter to what a trailer should do: a trailer should give information and inform the potential audience as to what the movie is about, whereas a lot of these teasers serve only to muddy the waters and obfuscate.

6. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

this could be really good

First of all, I really really like knowing as little as possible (within a certain realm) before seeing a movie.
    Second, teaser and trailers are not the same thing, this is clearly a teaser, and maybe there will be a trailer more to your liking released relatively soon.
    Lastly, I actually feel like the amount of "vague teasers" have remained about the same for a while now, while trailers that tell the story's whole movie in 2-3 minutes have increased in number (god I hate those)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

7. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

"Knowing as little as possible (within a certain realm)" - what does this mean? That you like knowing a certain amount of detail before going to see a movie? That's what I'm saying.

8. kindofyoung

Yeah a certain amont of details, but not much.
    Like for District 9, the only things I knew was that is was a sci-fi, it had aliens, and it had high ratings.
    I really don't feel like I need to know the whole premise and the characters and when and where it's based, just give me a hint of the direction it's going [​IMG]

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Ha, but that's the thing, though: the teaser and the trailer are different things; they release at different times and have different objectives. It seems like most sci-fi teasers are just a shot of a space car rolling over gravel, with a quick pan up to George Clooney saying, OH SHIT!...followed by the name of the movie and director. And then weeks of waiting until the actual trailer. Which I assume is even supposed to be mildly irritating.

10. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

I agree. And that's why I dislike them.

EDIT: And everyone go watch Rope and post in the Shadow Community thread, please and thank you.

11. g transistor

Well yea, as someone pointed out teasers and trailers are different things. Too often I find trailers can misrepresent movies though, and I'm glad at least there are fewer voice over trailers these days. I think they do it pretty well, just teasing you about the film!

Just got back from 12 Years a Slave and it was pretty damn good. Some beautifully shot and very powerful scenes in there, and I especially loved how long some scenes lingered to uncomfortable times just to really let it sink into you. Great film, and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes in a bunch of awards. Probably deserves Best Picture over the others nominated (why is Captain Phillips there?), and Chiawetel is a super strong runner for best lead performance, though McConaughey in Dallas Buyers Club rivals him.

12. patagonianwild

patagonianwild Senior member

The first half of Captain Phillips was really cool IMO, sorta went a bit downhill after they boarded the ship though. I would also like to reiterate the love for McConaughey, that dude is pretty good. As a sidenote, I always felt The Paperboy was a pretty underrated movie, despite all it quirks.

13. sipang

sipang Senior member

As KoY said, those overly long trailers that don't know what concision is and feel the need to go through the entire plot are immensely more annoying. I'd rather have an oblique teaser that reveals just enough to pique my interest.

Kinda want to watch that film again now. Also, ppl should really check Frailty (2001).

Thought Dallas Buyers Club was so-so, McConaughey's performance (and Leto's) is really really good but there just isn't much film around it. (And he's getting great mileage out of his still gaunt emaciated self with True Detective.)

After the utter disappointment that was Pacific Rim, I'm unreasonably excited about Godzilla. Gareth Edwards' Monsters was pretty good at building a solid atmosphere by suggesting rather than showing so I'm hoping some of that will find its way into this one.

This trailer is 1min too long though

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. g transistor

Really @Sipang ? I thought Dallas was pretty great. The story itself did seem a little tenuous at times and seemed to only be carried by Leto and McConaughey's performances, I agree. Still enjoyed it quite a bit though.

That Godzilla trailer is awesome, and I'm excited about it too. I don't have many expectations for it though, so hopefully it's at the very least entertaining.

And you didn't like Pacific Rim?! I loved it, but I went in fully expecting cheesy bullshit carried by my love of giant robots and monsters. I felt it stayed pretty true to old school kaiju film storylines/dialogue, so I guess a part of me really appreciated the terrible-ness of it all. Was very entertaining for me, although I wish the Russian robots and the 3 Yao Mings got more screen time. They got wasted like pussies.

15. kindofyoung

*cough* Drive *cough* [​IMG]

and new Godzilla looks awesome