The Film thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Oct 23, 2013.

1. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Also I meant to ask Sip, what are your top 5 for 2013 that you enjoyed?

2. sipang

sipang Senior member

Idk, I feel like the film itself didn't really live up to the two strong performances and at the same time was a bit too generic and by-the-numbers in its structure to be able to function by relying solely on those performances. Because of this unbalance, the whole felt less than the sum of its parts. And JGardner was a bit of a miscast imo.

I just want something very atmospheric and haunting and apocalyptic (always looking for decent post-apocalyptic films btw) so Pacific Rim was a bit of a let down but yeah it's more a matter of misplaced expectations than a failure on Del Toro's part.

3. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I can't remember the last great atmospheric monster movie I've seen... I guess it's not something that gets made that often, and then I don't actively seek it out. I hear you though, I'd love something along the lines of the original Alien but who knows if we will get something great like that again. Cloverfield (bleh) could have been so much better...

Have you seen The Road? It was a decent movie. Amazing apocalyptic atmosphere and pretty chilling at times, but still... I hated the child in it and he often jarred me out of the atmosphere of apocalyptic wasteland mindset, and it was structurally pretty generic and a little forgettible. Story was OK, could've been done better. Probably worth at least a viewing though. Maybe The Mist? I have heard good things about it but never got around to watching.

And yea JGarner was completely forgettable. Maybe because she was completely overshadowed by the other two, not sure who could've been casted to do it better. Her character was pretty generic young doctor holding onto her ideals, not exactly a lot of playing room I guess.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Let Me In(?), the remake of Let the Right One In, was great, and pretty atmospheric, if drenched in 80's, but not in the usual obvious ways, appeals to you. That lazyman's duology was probably my favorite horror outing of the last five years...

Though not technically billed as horror, Hotel Rwanda is still one of the most terrifying and atmospheric films Ive seen.

The Mist was excellent (Darabont [walking dead + shawshank redemption] is great) and that one shyamalalan film, about the people who kill themselves because of plants, was too ... though I am apparently maybe one of three people who believe this.

5. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

yeah let the right one in is probably my favorite vampire movie, i think i'll watch the remake too
    i like that the film is a kind of mix of a coming of age story and horror

this m night shyamalan film was called "the happening"

6. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

anyone a fan of claire denis? 'beau travail' is one of my all time favourite films, that final sequence is astonishing. I'm going to see 'Bastards' this week

7. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

@sipang, have you seen The Host? It might hit the spot.

8. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Yes, they should

Really? I mean, it's not like I really liked him or anything, but he seemed like a totally reasonable child in the role. To put it another way, he didn't in any way take me out of the movie the way he did for you.

I'll just assume you're trying to get a rise out of people. That said, that movie is one of the worst things I've ever made myself it through. In a way, After Earth bombing at the box office was brilliant symbolism to two of Hollywood most full-of-themselves entities colliding to create a massive self-involved turd.

9. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

I´ve only watched "Let the right one in" and it was a beautiful movie, chilling at moments, with a great setting and wonderful performances. The US version just didn´t do it for me. And I hope you´re trolling us regarding the M. Night movie.

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Eh, whatevs. I stand with Ebert on this one: The Happening (thanks, zeemon) was a pretty creepy and disturbing film. I just don't get movies with car chases and explosions (my mind just starts to wander) but that one held me right to the end. And I found it had much more tension than his more praised offerings (Bruce Willis Is a Ghost...This Forest is in the 1800's, I Promise).

Biggskip, I'm sorry, but you found Miran's ditherings profoundly engaging. We inhabit opposing planes. I cannot abide! :fence:

Let Me In had an amazing performance by Chloe Moretz, and the best car crash scene since, well, pretty much ever. Do not resist its charms.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I only saw Trouble Every Day, but will now have to go and see the rest. :slayer:

11. Donut

Donut Senior member

Anybody buy Criterions? Are they overrated? Is it just hype?

Interested in getting a couple. Chungking Express goes for like $60+ :(

12. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

I can't say they're overrated as I'm sure they put a lot of work into the bonus materials, packaging, etc. to justify the price but I would just rent them.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

13. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Senior member

While all the features included with the dvds are nice details, they are not essential. If you have the cash to spare spending that much on a movie then go for it.

14. ComfortablyDumb

ComfortablyDumb Senior member

Amazon and Barnes & Noble both have 50% off Criterion sales twice a year. I usually wait for those and then stock up and buy a couple. I have around 150 criterions I'd say, they're definitely worth it.

15. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

Criterion and Janus Film are the best. Criterion is expensive because lots of interesting special feature included. They are definitely worth their price. Highly recommended.