• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Excel Questions Thread

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

copy the cell

to paste, use Alt- H V S U Enter

This will paste the "Value" of the cell, but formatted correctly. This works if say your "8:00" cell was actually a formula and you want to take the value produced by that formula and place it somewhere else where it won't change with the formula.

If you truly want to paste "8:00" and not just the formatted value...I don't think there is a good way. Either use an =TEXT(A1,"H:MM") formula and copy the value from there...or copy the cell,. paste it into notepad (or even the google search bar), and then copy/paste it back into excel.

Ok, so =TEXT(A1,"h:mm") was it. Thanks.

I needed the cell contents to be literally numbers and a colon so I could use vlookup with another data set that would reference time and time zone, such as "8:00 Pacific"

If you look around for excel help on time formats, everyone has issues with it.

It's been some time since I've had a work project where I can just spend a few days with excel. It's very exciting and calming. I get so focused too. At this new job I'm using the latest version of excel. I'm very upset they took violet away as one of the default colors on the pallet. That said, I like the new deeper yellow. It's soft on the eye.

borderline

Reaction score
I have an Excel chart question. I have a chart, it's an X-Y chart with numerous data points. In excel, when I hover over the data, it reveals the data source, that is, the cell values. I want to post a large version of this chart to a website, say a blog, and retain this capability. What are my options?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have an Excel chart question. I have a chart, it's an X-Y chart with numerous data points. In excel, when I hover over the data, it reveals the data source, that is, the cell values. I want to post a large version of this chart to a website, say a blog, and retain this capability. What are my options?

In native excel? I am not sure such a thing exists. Maybe in the cloud version of excel?

Easiest way is probably to use google docs:
http://www.webascender.com/Blog/ID/639/Embedding-Google-Charts-Into-Your-Website#.VaWa9flVhBc

The example at the bottom looks like it does what you want.

Otherwise, there are lots of other options like Tableau or various javascript/R packages that will do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads