• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Engagement Ring -- Thoughts and Suggestions Welcome

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

In a few months, I will pop "the question." To that end, I have begun researching what and where to buy. I have mostly figured out what to buy. But, I am still deciding where to buy. I have a certain amount that I am willing to spend for the diamond and a certain amount for the ring.

First Option -- Blue Nile

Plus -- Blue Nile provides a better price on diamonds than the brick & mortar (B&M) store. Consequently, I get a slighty better quality (one step up in clarity) diamond for my price point as compared to the Brick and Mortar store. Also, Blue Nile has a fair selection of rings that cost less as well, and I can get a platinum ring for less than a 18k white gold ring at the B&M. No tax!

Minus -- Can't actually see how the ring will look with the diamond. Can't actually view the diamond (although I've seen enough diamonds now to know what I want regarding diamond stats). From what I gather, Blue Nile doesn't provide any post-sale services like free cleanings or replacing the small diamonds that may fall out of the ring.

Second Option -- Local Brick & Mortar Store.

Plus -- Can view both the diamond and ring before purchasing. Provides me the option of selecting the diamond and using a temporary ring for the proposal. After she's accepted, we can return for her to pick out the ring she wants (I already have a pretty good idea of what type of ring she likes, but, that said, I may not select the same ring she would choose on her own.) Provides post-sale services. The store gets good internet reviews from many people. I felt pretty happy with them when I visited and checked them out.

Minuses -- Don't get quite as good of a diamond at my price point (one level of clarity less than bluenile). The ring is somewhat more expensive. I have to pay a sales tax rate of 10%!!! <--- brutal.

Other considerations --

All things being equal, I would like to purchase locally. That said, all things aren't equal. I don't get the same diamond for my money, plus the 10% sales tax is just brutal. I'm pretty torn about which way to go. I am leaning towards the local shop, but the sales tax is making me pause hard.

Thoughts?

Separately, I'm open to recommendations for a good diamond store in downtown Chicago if anyone has a particular recommendation.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tiffany & Co. 1.5 to 2 Carat.

Follow the 4 C and have fun.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
www.whiteflash.com www.goodoldgold.com I got the stone at Good Old Gold and the setting at a local jeweler who could get me the setting I wanted from Sholdt. The customer service I received from Good Old Gold was unparallaled - their main diamond buyer kept in contact with me every day, and sent me a video of the diamond's performance before I committed to the purchase. I doubt Blue Nile with do this for you. As for brick & mortar/mall stores - they are a rip-off, and when you do get a decent product the price will be 2-3x as much as you would going online.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been glancing around at loose diamonds and I've seen some excellent prices at James Allen. Very nicely priced Platinum settings as well. Nifty 3D model of the rings which can help.

*Disclaimer* Doesn't know a whole lot about engagement rings...
eh.gif

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brother got engaged last summer - he went to the diamond district in NYC and found them generally offputting; he thought most of them were sketchy.

Ended up going with Blue Nile and is quite happy with the results. Got a emerald cut in the golden ratio, which was hard to find in B&amp;M, but pretty easy on Blue Nile.

Mr.G

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
if you're still looking, try engagementguide.com. i found the information very helpful... and you can browse through a bunch of different rings (but unlike bluenile it will show the entire ring w/ diamond). then if you find one you like, you can search and find a retailer in your area. try it out.

good luck!

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Tiffany diamonds are a joke - huge rip-off.

WHAT???!!!! Hmm, well I want to make a good impression, but I don't want to go to the Congo...what to do what to doooo!!

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took a look in the diamond district and wasn't very impressed. We also have a family jeweler who we had done well by in the past but wasn't willing to give a significant discount this time around. On a whim I stopped by a local B&M place who apparently does a ton of business and was able to give me an incredible price on a beautiful stone which was nearly 20% less than a nearby competitor. Its in Garden City NY if you are interested.

DL

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have my diamond already, I am just looking for a setting, and I have chosen to go with Jareds because of their great service.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pricescope.com. Learn about the importance of cut and the relative unimportance of top color and clarity in order to get the best bang for your buck.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Pricescope.com. Learn about the importance of cut and the relative unimportance of top color and clarity in order to get the best bang for your buck.
+1 to the foof Pricescope is pretty much like the SF of the diamond and engagement ring world. The only problem is it seems like 95% of the posters are wimminz...
tounge.gif
Cut is key, I think I would hover around a VS2 clarity, and around a G in color. But what do I know...I'm just a small timer. Figure out what size (carats refer to weight) and shape diamond would work best with your girl. Depending on the girl, she might not want a 2.5 carat monster on her size 5 ring finger...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ In retrospect, I would have sacrificed some color and clarity for a somewhat bigger diamond. Mentally, I just couldn't make the choice to get a less colorless, more flawed stone. It was stupid. I could have either saved a bunch of money or gotten something larger. Girls like big. My wife says she wouldn't want anything more than what she's got, but I'm betting she'd say the same if the center stone were a half carat bigger, too.

The Pricescope women mostly have terrible taste in rings, though. Really ugly stuf prevails there. Think WAYWN, but for engagement rings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads