• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm thinking about taking it to a local leather worker and seeing if he can sew a couple small D-rings onto it, right at the top of the back. That way, I could add a shoulder strap, if I wanted. 

I know their leather is veg tanned, but that's about it. Unfortunately, they don't specify, and I'd seen a sample of the leather and was already happy with it. I imagine it's 2–3 oz., "naked" cowhide, judging by the already broken in feel and the grain. Competition weight leather for bike riding is 3–4 oz. That's certainly thinner than Saddleback and Bexar Goods, but I just got to a point where I didn't feel like I needed a bag that was bombproof so much as useful and still tough. 

Curious if getting the d-rings added would be possible. Never heard of someone doing that aftermarket on a bag.

Agree on the "bombproof" thing. Unless the bag is poorly made, I am not sure you really need one of these heavy duty ones to survive a lifetime of normal wear and tear.

I don't own any of the La Portegna bags but I'll be going to the No Man Walks Alone trunk show tomorrow and report on the bags. Also regretting my Filson zippered tote, it's functional but the straps can be a bit abrasive in the hand. :/

Please do. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

DesignerValet

Reaction score
I believe Coach is currently having a 25% off "preferred customer event"; they have some nice, basic leather styles that are well made and reasonably priced with the discount.

Austin Tremblay

Reaction score
I believe Coach is currently having a 25% off "preferred customer event"; they have some nice, basic leather styles that are well made and reasonably priced with the discount.
I agree that their designs are often nice. I could even say the same for Fossil, at times. But I can't endorse sweatshop labor by buying from them.

coolron

Reaction score
Checked out the leather Fat Carter from La Portegna at NMWA's trunk show. The leather was good quality and the bag was very well made. The inside has a cotton lining with leather trim. The zippers were sturdy but not the smoothest out there, just a minor nitpick. I was favorably impressed, the bag was also on the lighter side as far as briefcases go. Also, the veg tanned leather felt like it would pick up a beautiful patina fairly quickly.

Austin Tremblay

Reaction score

I got a response from Bexar Goods that the Hudson is going to be around 4 lbs and the Porter is around 5 lbs. I currently have a medium classic briefcase from Saddleback and that thing is heavy at 6.6 lbs empty and even though the bag is big, I cannot fit a lot of stuff in there due to how it is built. 

I actually like the styling of the Bexar goods bags and since these are made of bridle leather, should be very good and age beautifully.  

I wonder what the weight of the Porter Slim is. I emailed them but they never responded. That might make a really nice, lighter option.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with experience with Cleverley? Debating a leather folio in either Navy or Green

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone with experience with Cleverley? Debating a leather folio in either Navy or Green

Picked the green one up, very nice leather and sized perfect for 13" MacBook Air

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a simple elegant black/Navy briefcase ala IISE, does anyone here have any first hand experience with this piece. Other suggestions welcome, provided it's along the same price-point, not made in China, not Filson, Coach, et al....Thanks!

Ps. I might be open to spend a few hundred more as well, just depends on style/quality.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an all leather, minimal, tote bag that has a zipper closure and handles with not too much of a drop?

Ideally sub $500, would go higher for the right piece since it's something I hope to get a lot of use out of.
(ideal use is for work, overnights, shopping, pretty much anything/anywhere)

thanks in advance

Last edited:

pdsf

Reaction score

Can anyone recommend an all leather, minimal, tote bag that has a zipper closure and handles with not too much of a drop?

Ideally sub $500, would go higher for the right piece since it's something I hope to get a lot of use out of.
(ideal use is for work, overnights, shopping, pretty much anything/anywhere)

thanks in advance

Try and get a Want O'Hare during sale time (like now). I really like mine. Mine is from one of the earlier collections so leather is fab. The leather of the recent offerings is a bit meh, so do check it out carefully.

I just came across this on Yoox: http://www.yoox.com/us/45237993MX/i...sr_newarrivalsmen80&cod10=45237993MX&sizeId=1

I am not that familiar with the brand. Might be a Yoox brand. The designs are minimalist (nice for me). I have checked out a briefcase previously - not bad for the price. I believe they are all made in Italy.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minadesay