• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

mapclub

Reaction score
Originally Posted by okay.w0w
GF got me this for graduation
s2tf1y.jpg

definitely useful for weekend trips

Wow I was just about to ask about Jack Spades!

How do you find it? Any quirks or anything I should know about?

Their size seems really useful to me: I carry a 5dmk2 and soon a laptop too.

I think they are really well priced compared to similar leather bags even not taking into account 10% first purchase or the semi regular 25% off sales they have.

Or can anyone tell me about a similarly sized / priced leather bag?

ichobi

Reaction score
Mismo-utility-bag-navy.jpeg
I am really liking Mismo utility bag, however I fear they might be too big for everyday use. It sure looks puffy in the picture. Has anyone own this bag IRL? How do they fare ?

okay.w0w

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mapclub
Wow I was just about to ask about Jack Spades!

How do you find it? Any quirks or anything I should know about?

Their size seems really useful to me: I carry a 5dmk2 and soon a laptop too.

I think they are really well priced compared to similar leather bags even not taking into account 10% first purchase or the semi regular 25% off sales they have.

Or can anyone tell me about a similarly sized / priced leather bag?

i really like it. the shape is a little more square than i originally thought. it's definitely larger than it seems. i was easily able to pack for 4 days with room for my laptop as well. seems to be very well constructed. i've only used it once so far.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by batgirl416
Hi Rach (and Everyone),

I'm new to this forum. Still going thru the 112 pages of posts, but so far, I'm loving what I see. Thank you for such a nice well organized and informative thread.

Was hoping you can help...... Looking for a man bag for work and grad school for the hubby --- to put laptop, A4 size notebook, gadgets, pens, books/mags/newspaper, other knick knacks, etc. Ideally, the bag should be leather satchel with adjustable shoulder/cross body strap, lots of compartments in and out, not too stiff but not too slouchy either. Nothing too trendy but not too serious either. Hubby works for United Nations ---- so something conservative yet rugged, clean looking and streamlined, yet still with "character". Range of: USD 500-800 (as he cannot fathom spending anything more than that for a work bag), pref in browns (chocolate, camel, etc) or dark grey, last choice is black.

P.S. Sorry for the double post, but could no longer delete my earlier post.

You might want to look at Moore and Giles. The price and style seem like they would be perfect for your husband. The leather is pretty decent too, and from the ones I've handled, seem like they should be hard wearing:

http://www.mooreandgilesinc.com/shop...rs-briefcases/

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ichobi
Mismo-utility-bag-navy.jpeg

I am really liking Mismo utility bag, however I fear they might be too big for everyday use. It sure looks puffy in the picture. Has anyone own this bag IRL? How do they fare ?

I didn't see that exact piece but I saw a similar bag as well as a standard tote today in the same colour and they were very nice indeed. The similar bag was stuffed as a display model so it also had a puffy look but I am sure it would look fine with the stuffing removed. The design was excellent and the canvas looked strong, though less beefy than Filson canvas.
I don't know what they are usually priced at but the tote was on sale for around $325US. Is that a good price?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ichobi
Thanks for your observation. I don't know if the sale tote is good price since Mismo produces several totes. Check price here http://www.tresbienshop.net/categories/accessories/

Thanks! It was the M/S Tote, which is listed at 340 Euros, so the price I saw is not too bad.
But I was surprised to see the bags listed as "Made in Japan". I thought Mismo was a Danish company, no?

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I didn't see that exact piece but I saw a similar bag as well as a standard tote today in the same colour and they were very nice indeed. The similar bag was stuffed as a display model so it also had a puffy look but I am sure it would look fine with the stuffing removed. The design was excellent and the canvas looked strong, though less beefy than Filson canvas.
I don't know what they are usually priced at but the tote was on sale for around $325US. Is that a good price?

I saw someone on the metro a while bag with a Nismo (duffel) bag, which had begun to tear in all of the corners, so I'm not convinced about the quality thing, after seeing that I would definitely not spend 300$ on one of their bags.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I have had a number of briefcases over the last year or two – a sort of trial and error to see what I like and don’t like about each kind of style, sometimes mixed in with a bit of “leather artisantry wannabe” to explore how to restore/rejuvenate older cases. In my never ending search for the perfect case I happened upon a website of a US-based artisan (in Maine) who made leather bags, briefcases, belts, and other such leather items. I contacted the Alan McKinnon of Narragansett Leathers (http://www.narragansettleathers.com/ e-mail: [email protected]), to see what he can do for me – basically, to see if I can customize a briefcase and if so, how much customization room I had. Alan and I exchanged many e-mails in total from start to finish, with Alan explaining what he could and could not offer in terms of style, finish and cost. Every e-mail was answered within, at most, 48 hours with a detailed, thoughtful reply. He sent me photos of completed cases so that I can see some of what was possible, and explained why he would choose one styling or structural detail over another. His 40+ years of experience put me at ease in that the level of quality that I was expecting would be met with superlative expertise. For me, hand-made, well made and “not horribly expensive” were the top 3 category check boxes that I wanted to fill – and I think Alan accomplished that wonderfully. Do note that Alan hand cuts and assembles each briefcase – a one man operation. I told Alan that I wanted the following features, and he was able to accommodate them all: •Chestnut color (basically a slightly darker/richer British Tan) •17"x13"x4" dimensions (exterior) •2 interior compartments - 3" (closest to front) and 1" (closest to back) •Two pen holders and one miscellaenous sized holder on the middle panel, placed close together in the middle of the panel •Two strap/buckle closures in natural finish, solid brass color •Rounded flap edge •Back 'quick access' pocket covering entire back of the bag As you can see, you have a choice of leather color, dimensions, compartment number and size, interior adornments, flap style, closing style, buckle style, and exterior finishing. This is where my imagination took me, so I am not sure if there is room for more personalization outside of the categories I’ve listed. The type of leather (quality, tanning process) is very important to me. I love leather, and I want it to look good, age nicely, and be sturdy for a long time. Alan uses the Wickett & Craig tannery out of Curwensville, PA (http://www.wickett-craig.com/). His choice for his briefcases is the English Bridle vegetable tanned leather. It is 6-7oz in weight, which is perfect for this application. The leather comes with a finished backside, so Alan does not line his bags. I was hesitant about this, but now that I have the bag I rather like that it’s not lined. The leather as described on the Wickett and Craig site: “Used in more ways than we can count, drum dyed and hot stuffed, English bridle needs no finishing. After drum dying we impregnate the leather with our own formula of waxes and oils to create durable yet flexible leather. We then finish the grain and flesh with our rich beautiful aniline dye to show off the natural texture. Last, we seal the color in and then finish it with a wax coat to give it a look like none other! Check out our “color” and “pricing” tabs for more information.” Alan’s construction and artisanship, IMO, is top notch. The bag is very well made, with nice attention to detail and excellent stitching, leather thickness. It's one of those "you know it's great just by looking at it" bags. The stitching is by machine at about 10 SPI. Everything is tight and even, with no loose threads/skewed edges or anything of the sort. The handle is thick yet comfortable, and the interior pockets are exactly as I wanted them. OK, enough writing. Here are some photos that Alan sent to me while he was making the bag. I asked for these specifically so that I can see how it’s made, and Alan gratefully accepted to do so.
212u68i.jpg
73o303.jpg
2d82udc.jpg
nex2dl.jpg
mt1l3c.jpg
And here are some of my photos that I took today. It took about one month from order to delivery.
30v2c5l.jpg
1r3doz.jpg
n3osq0.jpg
34qtmk5.jpg
2954z03.jpg
2mnlpib.jpg
Overall, I am extremely happy with how my first custom bag turned out!​

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jacob_G
Wow Mr. Moo that bag is perfect! May I ask what you paid for it?
+1. You didnt get it cordovan to match your Vass? Im dissapointed. Utterly and completely dissapointed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads