• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i like the briefcase looking bag. dunno how to link to it. i just realized it's actually a small handbag and not a briefcase. -_-; anyways. something minimal with handles and a shoulder strap. is all i want.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i like the briefcase looking bag. dunno how to link to it. i just realized it's actually a small handbag and not a briefcase. -_-; anyways. something minimal with handles and a shoulder strap. is all i want.
yeah its the same one i'm talking about. i was going to call it a laptop bag before i clicked on it. get the one in tan leather with the dogs on it.

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi
yeah its the same one i'm talking about. i was going to call it a laptop bag before i clicked on it. get the one in tan leather with the dogs on it.
Desi - I remember you said you were thinking about the two tote looking bags - now it's your time! They are both 50% off. Yes, shipping is a bit pricey, but I am assuming they are shipped from Europe?

Reaction score
After reading the excellent start to this thread, I kinda wish I'd shopped around before purchasing my LV messenger bag.
frown.gif

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippygeorgeandben
After reading the excellent start to this thread, I kinda wish I'd shopped around before purchasing my LV messenger bag.
frown.gif

Many thanks to Rach for starting it. Well, LV has good resale value so when it comes a time you want something else, you could consider selling it?

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
Desi - I remember you said you were thinking about the two tote looking bags - now it's your time! They are both 50% off. Yes, shipping is a bit pricey, but I am assuming they are shipped from Europe?
i am going for the tote with the leather strings and the gold duffle, on sale they both cheaper together than the tote at full price. problem is i am not working as much as I was last year so i am not making the big bucks. shipping is painful too because they ship from italy. worst thing that can happen is Chris & Tibor throw their Juun J bags on sale when their shop opens. I will be torn.

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi
i am going for the tote with the leather strings and the gold duffle, on sale they both cheaper together than the tote at full price. problem is i am not working as much as I was last year so i am not making the big bucks. shipping is painful too because they ship from italy.

worst thing that can happen is Chris & Tibor throw their Juun J bags on sale when their shop opens. I will be torn.

Too bad we don't live in the same city so we could split the postage
smile.gif
Are the leather strings/fringe only on one side, do you know? I like the look of the duffle with the fringe, but I am not sure if I could rock it.

Re: Chris & Tibor/Juun J - which style do you like? ASOS has had the big reversible bag for a while but I have never seen it on sale. Can anyone comment on C&T's quality?

Ally Capellino's pieces got some love earlier this year on this thread. Now the sale is on.

Reaction score
Many thanks to Rach for starting it. Well, LV has good resale value so when it comes a time you want something else, you could consider selling it?

Yes I suppose I could. Messenger bag was £700 but that was around 12 months ago. It's not the most practical of bags in all honesty but I daren't tell that to friends who suggested I should have spent my hard earned cash on a brand which isn't as easily copied. So many fakes of LV around, they seem to have become the new Burberry...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippygeorgeandben
Yes I suppose I could. Messenger bag was £700 but that was around 12 months ago. It's not the most practical of bags in all honesty but I daren't tell that to friends who suggested I should have spent my hard earned cash on a brand which isn't as easily copied. So many fakes of LV around, they seem to have become the new Burberry...
Yeah, as I mentioned on Page 1, LV isn't my "go to" brand for bags. They make nice stuff, but the prices are so high that there are MANY other alternatives out there for a better bag. As well, LV quality is excellent, but it's not excellent at its retail price. A recent article I read talked about how in the past ten years most designer bags have increased in price 600% or MORE. That's since 1999... unbelievable! A Chanel bag that was $900 in 1999 is $2300 now. Gucci bags are up 600%. LV is up at least that, or more. SO, that 700 pound bag was probably 400 pounds in 1999. In any case, as others have mentioned, at least LV resale prices stays high. Even if you use the bag for a few years, you'll get 60% or more of retail, depending on the style/condition. So, my advice would be use it for a while, then sell it and you can probably get 400 pounds or so. NO other brand will fetch you that kind of resale. 700 pound Prada will probably fetch 100 pounds, maybe a little more for Gucci. Valentino and Gianfranco Ferre might be 1500 pounds retail and you'll get MAYBE 50 pounds resale. For future bags, though, especially if you are on a budget, definitely look around. For equivalent styled bags, LV tends to run 25-30% higher than other luxury brands, and almost TWICE the retail price for a non-famous brand... for the same (or lesser) quality. I've had probably 10-15 LV bags over the years, from nearly all their lines... so I don't give my LV opinion just from "looking around."
smile.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rach, as Christian Siriano would say, "you are fierrrce!" and certainly not a "****** hot mess." I have to say the only LVs I have liked were from a recent season: http://bagcraze.blogspot.com/2008/12...ring-2009.html
inlove.gif

Thanks.
blush.gif
Anyway, yes, I also really liked those bags you posted from the season. I liked them so much, in fact, that I inquired about them, especially one of the light gray leather messenger bags and one of those totes. My inside "gut" estimate was that it would be in the $1500-1800 range. It was a simple leather messenger, from soft calf, nothing special. No special detailing, lining, nothing spectacular, really. A very simple, minimal, nice bag. It was $3200. That stopped my interest immediately. I don't mind paying a lot for a bag that is spectacular, but simple calf leather without much detail for $3200 is stupid to the point of being almost insulting.
7AJDp.jpg
The Cabas/Tote bag version was $2600 or thereabouts:
479D4.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also ReALLY like this one from the upcoming LV S/S 2010 collection, but I'm scared now to know how much they'll want for it. I love the color and shape, though:
C73De.jpg
EDIT: Just did a bit of searching, the pricing is about $2330 and it's actually in the TAIGA leather (the grained, somewhat stiff, calf) though in a new color (navy.)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
thoughts on christian peau?

I personally don't know this brand, so I look forward to somebody else giving us a review. Do you have any pics and/or links you could show us? Thanks!

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a023bg0063.jpg
16342757.jpg
a023bg005brn3.jpg
a023bg0023.jpg
Prices are in the $300 to $900 range First saw the most perfect bag in Archive SF. Odd mix of a briefcase and messenger, odd pockets, from what i could tell the leather was top quality calf leather. leather was washed, a little drapy, very avant garde-ish. a lot of little interesting details. -_- unfortunately no money and i think it sold out before sales found more christian peau bags in abgujeongdong seoul for a crap ton of money like 2k. archive doesn't stock any more and apparently pollyanna used to stock, but also not anymore was hoping for personal reviews.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads