• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the behaviors of the people behind the company, does anyone still believe this twisted last nonsense? That this is intentional and not just a result of poor quality control? That you would want shoes that rock back and forth? It defies logic.

If a tailor delivered a coat to you with a back seam angled at 45 degrees and told you it's to elongate your silhouette, would you believe it?

Is the twist symmetrical/identical for both shoes? If so, that would seem to be intentional as opposed to QC. Either way it's rational is nonsensical.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the behaviors of the people behind the company, does anyone still believe this twisted last nonsense? That this is intentional and not just a result of poor quality control? That you would want shoes that rock back and forth? It defies logic.

If a tailor delivered a coat to you with a back seam angled at 45 degrees and told you it's to elongate your silhouette, would you believe it?
I can believe the twisted last but that wouldn't explain the rocking or angled back seam. The last 2 are a combination of sloppy or lazy pattern making, construction, finishing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foo was among the first on here to order from Clev. The back of his shoes split at some point and he had them repaired, but didn't return for a second-order because he said he felt his business wasn't valued. No thread on it like the other mishaps.

I don't know if he interacted with Junior though.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Foo was among the first on here to order from Clev. The back of his shoes split at some point and he had them repaired, but didn't return for a second-order because he said he felt his business wasn't valued. No thread on it like the other mishaps.

He wasn't a famous celebrity at the time. Now he's internet famous. He even has his own emoji!:foo:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

well, guess missed opportunity...

how do you get shoe split, like the backseam just open up?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I want to try one of the small independents like Nicholas or Dominic Casey. If Nick starts going to Dallas, I can probably make a drive up to visit depending on if it falls on a weekend. Too bad the US is such a disaster with Corona that other countries are restricting travel.
Dominic made me shoes when he was at Cleverley. He's great.

Well, you and I have both used A and S, so...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dominic made me shoes when he was at Cleverley. He's great.
Well, you and I have both used A and S, so...

I don't know how George Junior manages to walk to work without slipping on a series of banana peels until a safe, an anvil, and then finally a piano fall on him, turning him into a human accordion. The guy is a walking cartoon character.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how George Junior manages to walk to work without slipping on a series of banana peels until a safe, an anvil, and then finally a piano fall on him, turning him into a human accordion. The guy is a walking cartoon character.

The twisted last of his shoes lets him dodge all these things without thinking about it.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goodness me! Reading that post about @shirtingfantasy experience is beyond disconcerting. Repulsive even.

On a personal note, sad as well because the first bespoke shoes I ever purchased were from GC (back in 2010 or 2009). Glasgow Sr. was such a nice guy, and so was Dominic Casey (who I met at that Trunk show in NY). Glasgow was older yet he had that passion oozing out of him.
Dominic was just this shoe information talking machine.

I remember they answered every question I threw at them with such enthusiasm, and were just so proud to present their shoes & to talk about shoes in general. Even spoke about @dieworkwear favorite twisted last. They weren't trying to close a deal, or disclose client information. They were just proud of their product.

Never had the pleasure (lucky me as it turns out) of dealing with Jr. I do remember Sr. stating that his son didn't have a taste for shoemaking, but had a knack for the business. I guess he doesn't have respect for clients either. Nor an understanding of how to properly treat non CEOs or celebrities.

Well on the positive, more and more folks will go on to individual makers or smaller firms. Negative is we could see the eventual demise of "regular" guys and gals never having to experience one of the top 3 shoemaking houses of England. Shame really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads