• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bad Taste Offs

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
7 years of graduate school does that to you
blush.gif
I mean questioning things that probably shouldn't be.

Let me guess...B-school?
laugh.gif

- B

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of this poll or the one this follows. I refuse to vote in these demeaning "polls", whether they were created out of boredom, spite or just plain idiocy.
Are you implying the polls are in bad taste?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please tell me that you are not thinking of starting *another* poll asking if this one is in good or bad.
devil.gif

I hadn't thought about it.

Until now

InsBrokerTX

Reaction score
I can't believe Holdfast is included in this poll and anyone voted for(against) him. I think he one of the sharper dressers on the forum. I guess the fact he doesn't aspire to dress like PeeWee Herman is the reason he is included in the poll. If he is a bad dresser, I aspire to be one as well.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by InsBrokerTX
I can't believe Holdfast is included in this poll and anyone voted for(against) him. I think he one of the sharper dressers on the forum. I guess the fact he doesn't aspire to dress like PeeWee Herman is the reason he is included in the poll. If he is a bad dresser, I aspire to be one as well.

This is what I'm talking about. These polls bring out the best praises and genuine compliments out of people. That has to count for something !

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Holdfast and Vox are similar in this respect (if not in many others): they often post some of the best looks in WAYWN, but they also often fail spectacularly, like a test meant only to check the wiring that ends up yielding 10 MT and obliterating a whole atoll and irradiating a Japanese fishing fleet 100 miles away.

I suppose I should admire them for daring to think big. Lord knows, I never do.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Holdfast and Vox are similar in this respect (if not in many others): they often post some of the best looks in WAYWN, but they also often fail spectacularly, like a test meant only to check the wiring that ends up yielding 10 MT and obliterating a whole atoll.
Still got the nukes on the brain, eh? Or are you impatient for the last season of Lost to start too?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't have to explain why I like it, except say that the design is very pleasing to my eyes. I don't have and don't want to have a unique "philsophy" or reason for the stylistic choices in the shoes I wear.

Hmm, would it surprise you to hear that I'm naturally inclined to think this way, or is that what you expected? Analyzing deepens my enjoyment of all things. Intellectual masturbation? Maybe. But it sure feels good.

Definite kudos for going ahead with your plans to get 5 more pairs of your plaza longwings. However, that whole OneShoe thread and your vehement defense of the idea was way-over-the-top. You knew people were not going to agree with you entirely ... given that, I just did not see the point of that thread at all. The wise AlanC said this LONG back - in your older, original thread where you contemplated moving to an all-alden wardrobe . . .

The way I see it, I was never at war with anyone and I was certainly never trying to win consensus or get approval. I just like talking about ideas. You can seperate out theory and philosophy from style all you want, but I think that would make for terribly barren discussion. The moment you want to say something more than "+1" is the moment you start theorizing and philosophizing. That's what I come here for.

At the end, I don't expect everyone to dress like me, nor would I want that, but I am much more able to appreciate divergent choices when there are thoughtful explanations for them. Is that so odd or bad?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Hmm, would it surprise you to hear that I'm naturally inclined to think this way, or is that what you expected? Analyzing deepens my enjoyment of all things. Intellectual masturbation? Maybe. But it sure feels good.
I don't get what you are trying to say ... do you mean you don't want to have a "philosophy" as well, or that you want to? Analyzing is very good, we all do that, we should do more. Anal-ising is not good. That's the point!

Originally Posted by mafoofan
The way I see it, I was never at war with anyone and I was certainly never trying to win consensus or get approval. I just like talking about ideas. You can seperate out theory and philosophy from style all you want, but I think that would make for terribly barren discussion. The moment you want to say something more than "+1" is the moment you start theorizing and philosophizing. That's what I come here for.

At the end, I don't expect everyone to dress like me, nor would I want that, but I am much more able to appreciate divergent choices when there are thoughtful explanations for them. Is that so odd or bad?

It is neither odd nor bad. I completely agree with your "+1" comment above. I don't question your liking for analysis or discussion or theorizing. I am questioning the nature of your approach to these things.

I also very much enjoy reading about the choices that people make here ... and I do participate in the discussions if I have something to say. This reading and participating has definitely helped me refine my taste, no question. But I don't do this for every clothing-related idea I have or a choice I make . I can't imagine doing so either. What aggravates people is that sometimes you refuse to listen to things (even experienced) people have to have because you seem to have already made a decision. The way you write and explain makes people think you are bull-headed and arrogant, when you are neither. Changing some small things in the way you present yourself online will go a long way in my opinion - you might think there is no need for change, but I honestly think otherwise.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Holdfast and Vox are similar in this respect (if not in many others): they often post some of the best looks in WAYWN, but they also often fail spectacularly...

Have you sent your royalty to yfyf yet?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Have you sent your royalty to yfyf yet?

I don't get it. Did he already say that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics