• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The annual Style Forum "S.O. Xmas ideas" thread

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was a great thread last year and IIRC helped a few folks with ideas on what to get their lady.

This year my idea list is nil so far. Last year I got her:

Monogrammed LV purse (in a fatigue cotton, not the horrid leather versions oft faked)
GC to her favorite local spa
Pair of Lucky jeans
Dinner at her favorite restaurant

List what you'll be getting your SO this year, or gifts you've gotten in the past that you thought went over very well.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
This will likely help no one at all, but I'm getting my wife a smocking pleater, which she very much wants but will not expect.

xarope

Reaction score
A Bvlgari Twist (it's their new line of handbags), in black... of course she wanted red...
blush.gif

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
This will likely help no one at all, but I'm getting my wife a smocking pleater, which she very much wants but will not expect.

This will, of course, reveal my vast reserves of ignorance, but I had to Google the term "smocking pleater."

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
My wife is a throwback in that she is very skilled with handwork, such as knitting, crochet and cross stitch. She has recently taken up smocking and the least I could do is use a portion of the Paypal reserves for the pleater she wants...considering the seven pairs of shoes I've recently purchased from same.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to like buying jewelery as gifts. It seems more..long lasting and have more value for money. :p

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
last year i gave my wife a bathroom scale, this year i'll come up with something better.
smile.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
last year i gave my wife a bathroom scale
eek.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
last year i gave my wife a bathroom scale, this year i'll come up with something better.
smile.gif

That sounds like a good way to get a weeklong vacation from your boring old bedroom to the exotic and charming living room couch!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
smile.gif

i hope she did not throw it at you if i gave something like this to my wife she say word do you think i am fat
plain.gif

but this year i am thinking of giving some shoes and handbag as a woman can never have enough
tounge.gif

argoth

Reaction score
My girlfriend, 26, has an obsession/fascination with pirates (something deeper than an infatuation with Johnny Depp), so I was thinking of keeping in line with that theme.

Beer Bottle (Corked with smoke blown inside) + "Treasure Map" (courtesy my lackluster art skill)

Leads to: A Small Wooden Chest (antique family item) + Couple pieces of costume jewelery + One piece of real jewelery (Her gift gift).

I figure the presentation will make it a bit more memorable and fun, while at the same time being more personal than a box and, say, a bracelet. Hoping the heirloom piece will signify a 'past' connection and a 'future' hope.

We'll see.

Arg

Edit: Also.. this may seem odd, but she has a small puppy. So, I need to get the dog something. I'm thinking a puppy-sized pirate hat and maybe one of those red/blue striped shirts, so puppy can be the first mate on her treasure hunting excursion.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are combining Christmas and our silver wedding anniversary this year for a big end-of-year blowout.

Celebrations will go on for about a month. We two are going to Melbourne's top restaurant, Vue de Monde. We will also hold a party for our friends, inviting all the people who came to the wedding. In the New Year, we are going to Hong Kong for two weeks as our gift to one another.

There may just be room in my savings for an unexpected gift. My wife is a very down-to-earth person, a farmer's daughter, and she doesn't go in for jewellery, expensive clothes and such fripperies. What she will love is if I go to a beadery and buy her some beautiful semi-precious beads and crystals that she can use to make her own jewellery. (I got her some lapis lazuli beads a few years back, and she loved them). I will also get her some Calvin Klein Eternity perfume, which is one frippery she can't live without.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
That sounds like a good way to get a weeklong vacation from your boring old bedroom to the exotic and charming living room couch!

it was actually her idea, she mentioned a few weeks before xmas that we dont have a bathroom scale at home, and she wanted to have one. a momentary lapse of judgement made me decide to put that and the fact that xmas was around the corner together. at least i bought a very nice high-end piece.
laugh.gif

at least the only way to go for me this xmas is up.

trogdor

Reaction score
it was actually her idea, she mentioned a few weeks before xmas that we dont have a bathroom scale at home, and she wanted to have one.

Oh, I thought you meant she had asked for something that could go from 0 to 200 in 2 seconds... ZING!

(I'm joking, of course: No offence intended -- I just couldn't resist repeating that old joke)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads