• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The annual Style Forum "S.O. Xmas ideas" thread

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was a great thread last year and IIRC helped a few folks with ideas on what to get their lady.

This year my idea list is nil so far. Last year I got her:

Monogrammed LV purse (in a fatigue cotton, not the horrid leather versions oft faked)
GC to her favorite local spa
Pair of Lucky jeans
Dinner at her favorite restaurant

List what you'll be getting your SO this year, or gifts you've gotten in the past that you thought went over very well.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
This will likely help no one at all, but I'm getting my wife a smocking pleater, which she very much wants but will not expect.

xarope

Reaction score
A Bvlgari Twist (it's their new line of handbags), in black... of course she wanted red...

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
This will likely help no one at all, but I'm getting my wife a smocking pleater, which she very much wants but will not expect.

This will, of course, reveal my vast reserves of ignorance, but I had to Google the term "smocking pleater."

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
My wife is a throwback in that she is very skilled with handwork, such as knitting, crochet and cross stitch. She has recently taken up smocking and the least I could do is use a portion of the Paypal reserves for the pleater she wants...considering the seven pairs of shoes I've recently purchased from same.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And, like last year, I thought this thread was about how Dakota could find a new SO

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to like buying jewelery as gifts. It seems more..long lasting and have more value for money. :p

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
last year i gave my wife a bathroom scale, this year i'll come up with something better.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
last year i gave my wife a bathroom scale

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Reaction score
last year i gave my wife a bathroom scale, this year i'll come up with something better.

That sounds like a good way to get a weeklong vacation from your boring old bedroom to the exotic and charming living room couch!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i hope she did not throw it at you if i gave something like this to my wife she say word do you think i am fat

but this year i am thinking of giving some shoes and handbag as a woman can never have enough

argoth

Reaction score
My girlfriend, 26, has an obsession/fascination with pirates (something deeper than an infatuation with Johnny Depp), so I was thinking of keeping in line with that theme.

Beer Bottle (Corked with smoke blown inside) + "Treasure Map" (courtesy my lackluster art skill)

Leads to: A Small Wooden Chest (antique family item) + Couple pieces of costume jewelery + One piece of real jewelery (Her gift gift).

I figure the presentation will make it a bit more memorable and fun, while at the same time being more personal than a box and, say, a bracelet. Hoping the heirloom piece will signify a 'past' connection and a 'future' hope.

We'll see.

Arg

Edit: Also.. this may seem odd, but she has a small puppy. So, I need to get the dog something. I'm thinking a puppy-sized pirate hat and maybe one of those red/blue striped shirts, so puppy can be the first mate on her treasure hunting excursion.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are combining Christmas and our silver wedding anniversary this year for a big end-of-year blowout.

Celebrations will go on for about a month. We two are going to Melbourne's top restaurant, Vue de Monde. We will also hold a party for our friends, inviting all the people who came to the wedding. In the New Year, we are going to Hong Kong for two weeks as our gift to one another.

There may just be room in my savings for an unexpected gift. My wife is a very down-to-earth person, a farmer's daughter, and she doesn't go in for jewellery, expensive clothes and such fripperies. What she will love is if I go to a beadery and buy her some beautiful semi-precious beads and crystals that she can use to make her own jewellery. (I got her some lapis lazuli beads a few years back, and she loved them). I will also get her some Calvin Klein Eternity perfume, which is one frippery she can't live without.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
That sounds like a good way to get a weeklong vacation from your boring old bedroom to the exotic and charming living room couch!

it was actually her idea, she mentioned a few weeks before xmas that we dont have a bathroom scale at home, and she wanted to have one. a momentary lapse of judgement made me decide to put that and the fact that xmas was around the corner together. at least i bought a very nice high-end piece.

at least the only way to go for me this xmas is up.

trogdor

Reaction score
it was actually her idea, she mentioned a few weeks before xmas that we dont have a bathroom scale at home, and she wanted to have one.

Oh, I thought you meant she had asked for something that could go from 0 to 200 in 2 seconds... ZING!

(I'm joking, of course: No offence intended -- I just couldn't resist repeating that old joke)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40