• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rithrin

Reaction score
Been some time, folks! Fell into one of those holes where months seem to disappear. And of course, right as I'm rejoining the world, the AE Trunk Show hits. And this one's a banger! Well, it's part-banger.

AE's really been taking some chances lately, and they really deserve some praise just for that alone. Football grain? Yes, please. Exotic bit loafers? Been asking for a while. Park boots? Also been asking for that for a while. UV shell? Amazing, thanks for listening! They've even got denim shell, slightly weird zip up boots, and a whole host of interesting options for folks.

The selection of models this time around is a bit tame, but they are finally including an open-laced option after many years, so it's hard to complain too much.

I do not like the bit loafers being offered in gator print. Gator print screams tacky. Also, bit loafers are tacky. There, I said it. I don't want anyone assuming I'd wear Gucci.
Honestly surprised this was the entirety of any discussion around those gator print loafers. Thought they'd be a more contentious subject. They look good in photos, and wish the recent croc Randolph was done up the same way, but... as you say, it's a print, and I'm sure the calf-based nature will show through the moment you add some wrinkles to it. If you're going for a croc loafer look, either on the show off your money Gucci side or the fun loud flexing your personal style side, it's going to fall-through with wannabe stamped calf. You have to commit for stuff like that.

The problem, I think, with ultraviolet is that it just.......doesn't work with anything. Like how the hell am I going to wear pink dress shoes or boots with anything that doesn't make me look like I'm the lead singer of a glam rock band?

Denim is also just a weird colour because, again, what would I pair it with?

I like the trunk show options, but I think the strange options are extremely limited in their wearability.

You guys should get green strands, though. The bottle/English racing green is a handsome colour that can pair well with dark charcoal, other shades of grey, shades of brown and tan, and white/off-white.

If I am getting a pair (not sure if I am) I would probably get the Dundee in green, though I have it in navy blue which, given how nearly black it is, is very versatile.
Looking forward to UV, especially given that I've been asking for it constantly over the last few years. Have a suit in a lavender flannel from Standeven that UV will go well with. It'll be the only thing it goes with, but nevertheless... my wardrobe is ready.

I have this really strong antipathy for the pairing of green with blue. I think the old adage, "Green and blue should never be seen without a colour between" (or even better: in the washing machine) is almost always right. The blue and green just...don't look good together.

I definitely don't get the green and blue together hate. To my eye, tartan plaid looks really good and that's just blue and green with nothing in between. I get where @JFWR is coming from, because there are instances when they can clash a bit, especially when they're both close to each other in tone. To me, it's one of those rules that shouldn't be a rule, but rather a mild suggestion. We all have stylistic things that make our eyeballs itch, but this isn't one of them for me at all.

View attachment 2024303

I think one of the reasons I'm generally wary of these sorts of "rules" and adages is that they're definitely farther from iron-clad as some people seem to think. There's an element of art to cultivating a personal style, and these rules tend to make it feel more formulaic and scientific. I prefer the weird boundary areas between art and science (or form and function, if you want to think about it that sense). That's where the interesting things live.

The right blue and the right green can work together, with nothing in between. The same way that you can also choose wrong shades of any colors that usually work well together. If you wear a lot of blue pants or green pants in general and abide by these types of rules, you may shy away from blue or green shoes, and that's a shame. Colors are fun as hell and having footwear in some non-standard colors can really open up the versatility of a number of different pieces in a wardrobe.
IMO, blue and green is really tough to pull off correctly. There's a lot of classic examples like the above pattern, but those examples have lasted long enough to become classics because they were done well originally.

Rules like this are there to help folks out who haven't already cultivated a personal style and practiced color pairing, to avoid making the easier mistakes. It's less likely to go awry when pairing a brown and a green, or a grey and a blue, for example.

As someone who likes to try blue and green from time to time, with some moderate success, I think the combination look horrible at worst, and "fine" at best.

7K7A0940_1.jpg

That being said, the best rule is generally "Wear what you feel good wearing", so what the heck.

Solid, friend! Love the combo. Will be posting my pair here sometime soon.

Also, fantastic improvements to the order sheet for this TS!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been some time, folks! Fell into one of those holes where months seem to disappear. And of course, right as I'm rejoining the world, the AE Trunk Show hits. And this one's a banger! Well, it's part-banger.

AE's really been taking some chances lately, and they really deserve some praise just for that alone. Football grain? Yes, please. Exotic bit loafers? Been asking for a while. Park boots? Also been asking for that for a while. UV shell? Amazing, thanks for listening! They've even got denim shell, slightly weird zip up boots, and a whole host of interesting options for folks.

The selection of models this time around is a bit tame, but they are finally including an open-laced option after many years, so it's hard to complain too much.

Honestly surprised this was the entirety of any discussion around those gator print loafers. Thought they'd be a more contentious subject. They look good in photos, and wish the recent croc Randolph was done up the same way, but... as you say, it's a print, and I'm sure the calf-based nature will show through the moment you add some wrinkles to it. If you're going for a croc loafer look, either on the show off your money Gucci side or the fun loud flexing your personal style side, it's going to fall-through with wannabe stamped calf. You have to commit for stuff like that.

Looking forward to UV, especially given that I've been asking for it constantly over the last few years. Have a suit in a lavender flannel from Standeven that UV will go well with. It'll be the only thing it goes with, but nevertheless... my wardrobe is ready.

IMO, blue and green is really tough to pull off correctly. There's a lot of classic examples like the above pattern, but those examples have lasted long enough to become classics because they were done well originally.

Rules like this are there to help folks out who haven't already cultivated a personal style and practiced color pairing, to avoid making the easier mistakes. It's less likely to go awry when pairing a brown and a green, or a grey and a blue, for example.

As someone who likes to try blue and green from time to time, with some moderate success, I think the combination look horrible at worst, and "fine" at best.

That being said, the best rule is generally "Wear what you feel good wearing", so what the heck.

Solid, friend! Love the combo. Will be posting my pair here sometime soon.

Also, fantastic improvements to the order sheet for this TS!

Hey Rithrin, great seeing you again. Always appreciate your posts!

Yeah, agreed. If you want croc, get real croc. Embossed calf is just cheap looking. Sometimes, you have to go big or go home, as the cliche says, or you just seem like you're half in, half out.

I am also surprised no one really talked about those.

Yeah, if you have a lavender flannel suit then you would have something to wear this with. Honestly, I really look forward to seeing the UV option here. I hope you get it so I can see the pairing.

I also think there is something to be said for UV as a rockstar colour, but then you'd not really want any of the shoes and boots on offer here.

I also just can't think of a single thing I own that would pair. Well, you know, ch---no, I am not going to even joke about that one. :v)

Boom, you hit the nail right on the head.

That's my opinion: it might not always be hideous, but when is it ever better than fine? I don't think very often! Even if I recognize say, black watch has a history (and my Campbell best friend hates me for being so critical of it, though she doesn't wear black watch herself) and its uses here and there, it just is not an attractive combo in general. There's better pairings.

As for your look: Yeah, not a fan. I don't think it's hideous, but something about it just tells me "I'd prefer if you had used other colours".

Friggin' love the ascot style, though. You rock that with authority, friend.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seems like you have better luck than me with having AE grant your wishes. Please ask for the Hamilton to be back in a Shell TS 🤞

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing this. UV looks really cool especially on the belt. I will say I was thinking the newman was the way to go with UV and then he said it later on. I'm still thinking maybe the strand. I really don't see the navy (I mean denim) being a lot different. He even catches himself saying navy a bit. Don't get me wrong, the color is cool but I think UV is the show stopper. Of course natty is always awesome. UV would be a super limited use for me but its hard to pass up. Not sure if/when we'll see it again. I have the $75 off coupon plus amex offer... so it becomes somehow justified "on sale" lol

michaeliany

Reaction score
I was planning on visiting the Costa Mesa store last Friday since it’s 5min from where I work. I wanted to check things out in person but something came up last minute. Then I made a reservation at a South Coast Plaza restaurant for Saturday evening, thinking I could visit beforehand. Those plans had to change as well. Yesterday was far too busy to fit in a trek to the mall.
All of that equals to nothing ordered this trunk show.
I think if the Hamilton or MacNeil was offered, I would have unquestionably put in for either or both.
Hopefully next time.
This morning, Oxblood Macneils:

IMG_1111.jpeg

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will probably never offer the MacNeil again unless they go and remake the tooling. It takes an insane amount of time to laser cut every single brogue hole on those shoes, especially with how popular that style is and how many pairs they would sell.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

michaeliany

Reaction score
They will probably never offer the MacNeil again unless they go and remake the tooling. It takes an insane amount of time to laser cut every single brogue hole on those shoes, especially with how popular that style is and how many pairs they would sell.
Let’s hope that isn’t the case.
For a special event like a shell trunk show, I’d think they’d want to offer something for their shoe collectors, retain that loyalty and even gain new fans by offering something that other companies aren’t really focused on.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This!!! I thought Ryan did an excellent job of showcasing, while not overly pushing, the various models, colors, soles, and make-up possibilities. Compared to the new website photos (another nice touch by AE), was much easier to see the true colors. And the quality of the belts seemed super clear!

Overall, great advertising for the TS. Wish they'd have released this and started their campaign a good month earlier. I imagine the excitement and weaseling around here would have increased exponentially.

The video was enough to make me rethink if I was actually going to sit this show out. In the end, while I'd love to scoop denim in something and have always thought of a natty dundee as a grail type shoe, the lack of Hamilton (or a welt swamp on a Strand) and the fact that I haven't even worn the Chandlers from last TS, has me needing to pass.

I've certainly peeped the spreadsheet orders more than once. Can't wait to see everyone's makeups!

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This!!! I thought Ryan did an excellent job of showcasing, while not overly pushing, the various models, colors, soles, and make-up possibilities. Compared to the new website photos (another nice touch by AE), was much easier to see the true colors. And the quality of the belts seemed super clear!

Overall, great advertising for the TS. Wish they'd have released this and started their campaign a good month earlier. I imagine the excitement and weaseling around here would have increased exponentially.

The video was enough to make me rethink if I was actually going to sit this show out. In the end, while I'd love to scoop denim in something and have always thought of a natty dundee as a grail type shoe, the lack of Hamilton (or a welt swamp on a Strand) and the fact that I haven't even worn the Chandlers from last TS, has me needing to pass.

I've certainly peeped the spreadsheet orders more than once. Can't wait to see everyone's makeups!
I hate to say it, but I might also sit this one out... nothing is pulling on my heartstrings--and, I'm team "don't like the contrasting welt" on denim and ultra (I would have to darken this on any style). I may still cave and waste money lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads