• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I just read the Allen Edmonds catalogue. How is it even worse than I imagined?

Loafers, loafers with sneaker soles (what the actual hell?), and casual everything. There is nothing in this entire catalogue that I am interested in. What is AE doing?

Seriously.

What the hell?
AE SPRING 2023.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bro, there's like 12 pages of dress styles in the catalog

In this catalogue?

You got the Black Dahlia Strand pages (2) which is a limited edition.

You got some white brogues which I'd label casual, though okay - they are dress style (2).

You got an ad for the Park Aves over 2 pages, including the sneakers.

So...I see 6 pages.

You have an ad about making shoes traditionally.

The rest is exclusively casual styles, so me of the "dress shoes" are casual shoes (I am not saying the white brogues are bad, though) or just showing off the Park Ave in all its new casual glory.

I am not saying I don't love Allen Edmonds, but I don't love how Allen Edmonds is veering entirely towards the casual right now. Even if we construe this as a summer style which will therefore feature lots of white shoes and loafers, I just don't like that you know.....nothing traditional is shown here at all. Nothing dress shoe-y or even dress boot-y.

Lauren_A

Reaction score
In this catalogue?

You got the Black Dahlia Strand pages (2) which is a limited edition.

You got some white brogues which I'd label casual, though okay - they are dress style (2).

You got an ad for the Park Aves over 2 pages, including the sneakers.

So...I see 6 pages.

You have an ad about making shoes traditionally.

The rest is exclusively casual styles, so me of the "dress shoes" are casual shoes (I am not saying the white brogues are bad, though) or just showing off the Park Ave in all its new casual glory.

I am not saying I don't love Allen Edmonds, but I don't love how Allen Edmonds is veering entirely towards the casual right now. Even if we construe this as a summer style which will therefore feature lots of white shoes and loafers, I just don't like that you know.....nothing traditional is shown here at all. Nothing dress shoe-y or even dress boot-y.
I was talking about the Anniversary Sale Catalog.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This post was originally about the lack of sale in the current sale. And, current casual movement aside, wondering exactly what AE (or the ad agency that put together the latest catalog) considers a dress shoe.

Then I figured I'd just drop a pic of today's MTO Daltons. Still one of my all-time favs.
946628C4-7BDD-4CFA-9F3B-A2D89F997698.jpeg

17F07B40-E62A-4F4B-851A-8E57A931E423.jpeg

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last fall I bought a pair of new, old stock AE Rutledge that has a very weird finish, and wondered if you could help me. Looking thru the web I came across a pair of AE Liverpool’s with the same issue. Take a look.

The shoes are not dry, but the finish is crazed. How do you go about fixing it? Most likely a good shoe repair shop would strip the original and redo it, right? Appreciate your comments.
View attachment 1929207
Looking for some help here. Thanks.

dpgaloot

Reaction score
Hey friends,

I've been away a bit, but jumped back in today to see reaction to the sale.

I'm jealous of those of you with Snuff Suede Freeports and Barbour HMs. I was up for a pair of each, but alas no love for my 14EEE and no appetite at AE to make one more big pair. At this point I'm interested in Freeports, Hamiltons and slip-ons. There is nothing new in the boots, I'm surprised that we haven't seen anything exciting in these in a while. I would grab a pair of horse bit loafers but they are only available in my size as a sneaker. Hard pass. Once I filter for my size, about 75% of what is on sale disappears. sigh.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey friends,

I've been away a bit, but jumped back in today to see reaction to the sale.

I'm jealous of those of you with Snuff Suede Freeports and Barbour HMs. I was up for a pair of each, but alas no love for my 14EEE and no appetite at AE to make one more big pair. At this point I'm interested in Freeports, Hamiltons and slip-ons. There is nothing new in the boots, I'm surprised that we haven't seen anything exciting in these in a while. I would grab a pair of horse bit loafers but they are only available in my size as a sneaker. Hard pass. Once I filter for my size, about 75% of what is on sale disappears. sigh.
Only 75% at your size? I loose like 90%.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking about the Anniversary Sale Catalog.

Sorry, I was talking about the Spring, 2023 catalogue.

This one is still dominated by sneakers and loafers, with only a few pages of non-loafer dress shoes (and some traditional loafers that I'd count as dressy).

AGain, love me Allen Edmonds (wearing my Hammies for a Goth party tonight) but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads