• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 1st Annual Style Forum Sample Swap Box

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of atomizers, but they are kinda big. 4mL size I think. I have a bunch of roll-ons too.

I think the screw-cap atomizers will work best for the box. The atomizers with the compression tops might be hard to get open and I can see someone trying to get the cap off of one and having it fly everywhere and its wasted. Run-on, I know. Oh well. ha ha

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joel_954
I have a couple of atomizers, but they are kinda big. 4mL size I think. I have a bunch of roll-ons too. I think the screw-cap atomizers will work best for the box. The atomizers with the compression tops might be hard to get open and I can see someone trying to get the cap off of one and having it fly everywhere and its wasted. Run-on, I know. Oh well. ha ha
All you have to do is spray from the full atomizer into the empty one which should be apart to begin with. No need to disassemble anything.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Everyone getting their **** together?

yup! Got my first batch of atomizers in the mail....

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm just about squared away.

Decants:
Knize Ten
Signoricci

Samples:
Antaeus
Guerlain Vetiver
Jicky
SL Oriental Vetiver
Dzing!
C&S line-up
Patou Pour Homme.

Pending:
Kouros

I'll check the thread again this weekend to make sure I include everything mentioned.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't have my atomizers, yet. Sorry!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a bunch more stuff I'm going to add to the list tonight. I'm throwing in a whole assortment of other samples like shaving creams (eg. Taylor's Eton College +more), After Shave Balms (eg Fragonard - Hongrie +more), hair stuff (eg. Brylcreem +more), face moisturizers (various brands) and a bunch of random fragrance samples...

Timing - I'm ready to go for Monday too...

PS - are you guys comfortable with updating the map with your name and address, or do we just PM the next person on the list? How's the mailing going to work?

PPS - I went to sephora and begged and got about 10 of those mini atomizer things... - also, they often have little "funnel" things to avoid the spray overflowing...

Last - if anyone wants mainstream department store stuff, anything from certain stores (Crabtree, L'Occitane, Body shop, fruit and passion, etc), or more niche (Penhaligons, L'artisan, philosykos, etc)... let me know and i'll see what I can do

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be heading to sephora hopefully this week, for decants. All the stuff people want from me is in big bottles. (mostly 3.4 oz) I'll add to the the index thing in a bit.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I've got a bunch more stuff I'm going to add to the list tonight. I'm throwing in a whole assortment of other samples like shaving creams (eg. Taylor's Eton College), After Shave Balms (eg Fragonard - Hongrie), hair stuff (eg. Brylcreem), face moisturizers (various brands) and a bunch of random fragrance samples...

Timing - I'm ready to go for Monday too.

PS - are you guys comfortable with updating the map with your name and address, or do we just PM the next person on the list? How's the mailing going to work?

PPS - I went to sephora and begged and got about 10 of those mini atomizer things...

Nice! I'm interested in shaving stuff and I'll be adding some shaving stuff too... shaving creams, etc.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm totally out of my league here and would understand if you guys want to cut me out from participating.

Here are my pathetic offerings:

A-Men
Dulce Gabbana Pour Homme
YSL Rive Gauche
Prada Pour Homme
CK One
Armani Pour Homme

This swap has inspired me to go out a get a bottle of Aqcua di Parma that I would like to share with the group if there is interest. Since I haven't pick it up yet, I'm open to suggestions for a fragrance that you guys would like to try and I'll see if I can pick it up this weekend (South Coast Plaza).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I've got a bunch more stuff I'm going to add to the list tonight. I'm throwing in a whole assortment of other samples like shaving creams (eg. Taylor's Eton College), After Shave Balms (eg Fragonard - Hongrie), hair stuff (eg. Brylcreem), face moisturizers (various brands) and a bunch of random fragrance samples... Timing - I'm ready to go for Monday too. PS - are you guys comfortable with updating the map with your name and address, or do we just PM the next person on the list? How's the mailing going to work? PPS - I went to sephora and begged and got about 10 of those mini atomizer things...
I'll post up a preliminary list based on location and see if everyone's ok with that. If there are no problems then we'll use PM's to relay the address info. I can't imagine everyone being comfortable with putting their address up on the internet. We'll use this thread as the main stage for updates and info. Hopefully, everyone will play ball and not hijack the box somewhere along the line. Should there be a time frame for how long each person will have the box?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
I'm totally out of my league here and would understand if you guys want to cut me out from participating.

Here are my pathetic offerings:

This swap has inspired me to go out a get a bottle of Aqcua di Parma that I would like to share with the group if there is interest. Since I haven't pick it up yet, I'm open to suggestions for a fragrance that you guys would like to try and I'll see if I can pick it up this weekend (South Coast Plaza).

Hey I thought the same thing about me. Whatever, just put in what you can and take what you want. Resources flow from those who have to those who need, but you never really know which is which!
For example, I'd love a sample of Rive Gauche if possible. and you're more then welcome to request anything I have. For me, I'm trying ot compensate lack of frags with other stuff that might interest people.
I really wouldn't go out specially to buy something to contribute... that defeats the purpose of this. I've been going to various stores and just picking up samples or making my own. I think buying a bottle just for this is overkill. AdP is nice though, if you really want it anyway.

Originally Posted by Rambo
I'll post up a preliminary list based on location and see if everyone's ok with that. If there are no problems then we'll use PM's to relay the address info. I can't imagine everyone being comfortable with putting their address up on the internet.

Should there be a time frame for how long each person will have the box?

1. Sounds good about addresses.
2. with about 10 of us on the list, even if we each only keep the box 2-3 days plus the shipping time, it'll still take at least a month from the first to last person, which is quite a while. So I'd suggest a short period like 2-3 days. I think the best way to do this is to sniff+pull out or decant where possible, and put back stuff without actually spending days testing.

If it smells interesting just take it (or decant) and use it later instead of holding the box for a week while trying them all. Also, not entirely defeating the purpose I hope, but in some cases I'll just spray it once, smell it, and then put the sample back for someone else. This is about getting exposure to brands/lines that I can't otherwise get, so if I like it enough based on 1 spray, then I'll go buy a larger decant/bottle. I don't need to spend all day necessarily testing it out.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
One thing I'll be trying to do on the decants / samples is a marker or some such, saying "Save some for XXXX". Odds are that multiple people can get use out of even a small vial, but even then I'd like to be sure that some of the contents get to the requester.

Quevola: Don't worry about what you have. That said, if you're intent on getting something to share - I'm not going to stop you. But consider this: If you find something in the box that you loooove and can get locally...buy the bottle you really want and *at the same time* get as many samples as you can - both for you and the box. The SA might get a chuckle out of the story and load you up.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
I'm totally out of my league here and would understand if you guys want to cut me out from participating. Here are my pathetic offerings: A-Men Dulce Gabbana Pour Homme YSL Rive Gauche Prada Pour Homme CK One Armani Pour Homme This swap has inspired me to go out a get a bottle of Aqcua di Parma that I would like to share with the group if there is interest. Since I haven't pick it up yet, I'm open to suggestions for a fragrance that you guys would like to try and I'll see if I can pick it up this weekend (South Coast Plaza).
JOIN US!
darth_vader_sith_lords_1.jpg
Seriously Quev, don't worry about it. If you can sweet talk the sales associates in your area into giving you a crap load of samples then all the better. Otherwise, just contribute what you've got and enjoy what you can get out of it. Listen to Thomas, he is wise. Is everyone ok with Master-Classer's 3 day time limit idea?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads