• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 2nd StyleForum Fragrance Sample Swap Box...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The gist of this is you get the box, smell a few, take out a few you're interested in, put in the things you no longer want, and ship it to the next guy. Please message in this thread to indicate your interest, and include your general city+state so we can arrange a mailing path. Think you don’t have what it takes to join? It doesn't matter if you've got 2 bottles, 20, or 200. Offer what you can and enjoy what's there. In preparation you could always just spend a day walking around various department stores (Saks / Neiman / Bergdorf / Nordstrom, especially Sephora) asking for samples of various things and that could be your contribution. “One man’s garbage is another’s treasure” Question - I've already got a bunch of stuff packed up ready to go so I'm happy to seed this thing or send it past someone else to start there. Let me know what you guys think. Question - About where/who’s included… Last time we kept it strictly North America, I’m suggesting we do the same again (sorry overseas guys), but up to the group. That’s my vote though just to keep this quick and simepl. Guidelines / Rules : - Generally speaking I think we should stick to fragrances. I guess the odd shaving cream, moisturizer, man-juice, etc wouldn't hurt but most of us are probably interested in frags only. - In preparation, see the above note about collecting samples and making wardrobe decants, ideally try to put in at least a few from your personal collection, even full bottles if you want. If you need to buy atomizers, see links below. - If there are a few really popular ones that everyone's interested in, then you could do a larger decant and it stays in the box for everyone to try or make multiple samples of it. - when you get the box, PM the next person in line for their mailing address so they have 2-3 days to respond and so that only one person knows your address at a time. - If it smells interesting just take it (or make a decant) and use it later instead of holding the box for a week while trying them all. Also, not entirely defeating the purpose I hope, but in some cases just spray it once, smell it, and then put the sample back for someone else. This is about getting exposure to brands/lines that you can't otherwise get, so if you like it enough based on 1 spray, then just go buy a larger decant/bottle. This will hopefully speed things up. ---- If you do take, try to put back at least a few more then you took just to keep it growing and try to trade things of roughly the same value (eg if I take out 1 sample that's rare/valuable, then I'll put back at least 3-5 mainstream ones - that's just me though) - 2-3 day holding rule... get it, sniff, pull some, put yours in, get it on the way. with 5-10 people this will take around a month to finish as it is. - If possible please put in extra decant supplies (atomizers+vials, pipettes, bags, labels, etc) incase others don't have - It’s possible to "reserve" for some people, for example I've already set aside in labeled bags a few samples for people who've asked for some things. - Box should be labelled as something that's ok to ship like "cosmetics samples", not fragrance, and get a tracking number so we always know where it is. - Please clearly label and carefully tape all bottles closed. Subgrouping into sealed bags is also a good leakage preventative practice. Tips/Suggestions: - If you have a Basenotes.net account, you could possibly link to your account incase people have some special requests. Question - last time we did both a google map to see where everyone was located and also a shared Google document spreadsheet to see who had what and who wanted what, is that overkill or should we do it again? put together a rough "want"/wishlist? - It might be fun to take pictures along the way and see how it's stacking up. Atomizer Retailers: These guys have cheap 10ml glass ones, but some are out of stock. Their 4ml ones are also good. http://www.bestbottles.com/index.html Sally at Accessories For Fragrance is highly recommended. See 1.5ml vials, 2.5 and 5ml plastic atomizers and 10ml glass ones http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...ces/StoreFront Haven’t personally used these guys but they’re out there - http://www.pilotvials.com/Plastic-Pe...Atomizers.html Who's In? Master Classer – Toronto, ON (Canada) Hartmann - Toronto, ON (Canada) Arlee – NYC, NY Boo - NYC Amerikajinda – Washington, DC Kulata – Atlanta, GA PITAronin – Atlanta, GA Thomas - Spring, TX Redlantern – Knoxville, TN reptilia - Bayonne, NJ Baron – LA, CA Scugger – LA, CA

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for spearheading this... the first one was such a success!

I'm in -- Washington, D.C.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm in.

Thanks for taking the lead on this.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in! Living in Knoxville until mid may, then back to Seattle.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder if I can convince that ^^ spammer to bump my sales thread... ;-)

Cool guys, I'm thinking we can work this all out (who's in, route, some requests) by the end of the week and I'll ship it out then to get this started. In the coming weeks people can go get samples if they don't have, get atomizers delivered, etc.

PS - I realize the first post has A LOT of text, but thougtht I could prempt a lot of discussion/questions.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll join. I have a lot of samples and partial decants of interesting stuff. In Los Angeles.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in.

Since I'm in Toronto, I'm sure Master-Classter and I can meet up at some point over a drink/coffee.

arlee

Reaction score
I've used Sally at Accessories For Fragrance. I recommend it they throw in free stuff too sometimes.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ Sounds good, PM sent

arlee

Reaction score
should we all put up a list of our samples or just keep it a mystery =)

scugger

Reaction score
I am down for this. I am also in LA and have a bunch of samples to throw in.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arlee
should we all put up a list of our samples or just keep it a mystery =)

I think it makes sense to list if we have full bottles or a wishlist of some stuff but just listing off the random samples might take a while. Up to you, if you've got the time and interest feel free. I'd suggest doing a shared google doc (see last time)

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I think it makes sense to list if we have full bottles or a wishlist of some stuff but just listing off the random samples might take a while. Up to you, if you've got the time and interest feel free. I'd suggest doing a shared google doc (see last time)

The shared doc is a good idea

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads