1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The 1st Annual Style Forum Sample Swap Box

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Rambo, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

OK boys, here is the official thread. The gist of this is you get the box, take out the things you're interested in, put in the things you no longer want, and ship it to the next guy. Let's hammer out the rules and get a running list of who's in. So far I've got:

Rambo - West Palm Beach, FL
    Thomas - Spring, TX
    Joel - Apple Valley, MN
    Master Classer
    Big Pun - Willmar, MN
    Kunk - some NY hellhole
    Quevola - Irvine, CA
    MSCommereid - San Leandro, CA
    Jinda - Herndon, VA
    Chessus - Santa Clara, CA
    Why - Cleveland, OH

Here is the updated shipping order:

Thomas - Quevola - MC - Big Pun - Joel - Master Classer - Why - Jinda - Rambo

If anyone wants to be added to the list please PM me and I'll find a way to work you in.

Rules:

Max 3 days hold time

2. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

What kind of sample?

[​IMG]

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

What kind of sample? [​IMG]
    I was trying to leave it open for skincare and etc but I should have known better. How about "The 1st Annual StyleForum Traveling Sample Box"?

4. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

I was trying to leave it open for skincare and etc but I should have known better.

You're not helping...

Okay, I will stop messing up your thread now.

5. why

why Senior member

I'm in.

By the way, there is no such thing as a 'first annual'; it can't be annual until it occurs twice in two years.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm in. By the way, there is no such thing as a 'first annual'; it can't be annual until it occurs twice in two years.
    True, but 1 is the loneliest number. Also, 1st StyleForum sample swap box sounds like shit.

7. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

I'd be interested in this. But I'd suggest expanding it beyond a "sample" box, to a "swap box" (sort of like your last post suggested). I participated in a similar critter on Badger and Blade, and it was pretty fun.

8. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

9. quevola

quevola Senior member

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'd be interested in this. But I'd suggest expanding it beyond a "sample" box, to a "swap box" (sort of like your last post suggested). I participated in a similar critter on Badger and Blade, and it was pretty fun.
    1st Annual Style Forum Swap Box? What does it imply we're swapping? I've already got Jumbie thinking I'm trying to send him a vial of my man juice. Can you describe the B&B experience? Anything you picked up from that experience we can implement here would be great.

11. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

12. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I didn't take part in the B&B shaving soap pass, but what I recall reading is that one member seeded a box with a number of soaps and then sent it to the next person on the list. The next person might keep the box for a few days, try a soap or two, take a few out for testing, and add a few different ones of similar value for the next person on the list. The list was settled in advance according to geography to minimize transit time and shipping charges.

IIRC, each shipment was to be tracked in case the box went astray. And, if you know you'll be out of town or unable to retrieve the box for a while, you ought to communicate that: probably most reasonable to bump someone else up into your slot and you take a later slot once you're available again. I think the soap pass was derailed for 5 weeks because a guy took a trip to the UK that was longer than expected and forgot to say anything.

Being that these are decants and samples, I'd expect people to sample a few and put them back, and pull a few that they like for further testing, dropping an equal number to replace what they took.

As for getting samples: Most retail counters have samples, but some tend to be rather stingy unless you're buying something. If you're in Neiman/Bergdorf/Nordstrom, and have just bought something, it never hurts to ask. Also: many firms will ship you samples just for asking: I've received samples from Ormonde Jayne and Frederic Malle. I mention this in case you want in but don't feel like you have much to contribute. But that said, any contributions to the box ought to be interesting, and you don't have to like it. Someone else might.

btw. Canadian members: may be a problem...iirc, customs tends to impound and destroy outright any perfume shipments.

How do you guys feel about a want list? I'd have to think that between the bunch of us, we ought to be able to fulfill a few requests.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I didn't take part in the B&B shaving soap pass, but what I recall reading is that one member seeded a box with a number of soaps and then sent it to the next person on the list. The next person might keep the box for a few days, try a soap or two, take a few out for testing, and add a few different ones of similar value for the next person on the list. The list was settled in advance according to geography to minimize transit time and shipping charges. IIRC, each shipment was to be tracked in case the box went astray. And, if you know you'll be out of town or unable to retrieve the box for a while, you ought to communicate that: probably most reasonable to bump someone else up into your slot and you take a later slot once you're available again. I think the soap pass was derailed for 5 weeks because a guy took a trip to the UK that was longer than expected and forgot to say anything. Being that these are decants and samples, I'd expect people to sample a few and put them back, and pull a few that they like for further testing, dropping an equal number to replace what they took. As for getting samples: Most retail counters have samples, but some tend to be rather stingy unless you're buying something. If you're in Neiman/Bergdorf/Nordstrom, and have just bought something, it never hurts to ask. Also: many firms will ship you samples just for asking: I've received samples from Ormonde Jayne and Frederic Malle. I mention this in case you want in but don't feel like you have much to contribute. But that said, any contributions to the box ought to be interesting, and you don't have to like it. Someone else might. btw. Canadian members: may be a problem...iirc, customs tends to impound and destroy outright any perfume shipments. How do you guys feel about a want list? I'd have to think that between the bunch of us, we ought to be able to fulfill a few requests.
    That's essentially what I was thinking. Maybe a week max or something along those lines for keeping the box. As for a want list, maybe we could get the person who has the box to list what is in his wardrobe and the next recipient could not anything he might be interested in.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

That's essentially what I was thinking. Maybe a week max or something along those lines for keeping the box.

As for a want list, maybe we could get the person who has the box to list what is in his wardrobe and the next recipient could not anything he might be interested in.

Actually, my thought was to cast the net a bit wider: there's so much out there between us all that I thought we might take a general list and try to fill those with decants. For instance: Knize Ten, Antaeus, Jicky, etc. If those turned up on the want list, I'd put a decant (10ml or so) in the box so multiple people could give it a try. I guess at that point you have your decants that more or less stay in the box and samples that can come out.

Not everyone will get to try everything they ever wanted, of course, but I'd like to try and scratch as many itches as I can.

16. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

1. Thanks for making this a seperate thread...
    2. I think we should generally stick with fragrances, unless you guys really want to expand away from that... I mean I could throw in some shaving creams/balms, face lotions, man juice, etc too I geuss.
    3. i'd like this to be more of a swap box, but it doesn't have to be. if you just spray something once and don't like it, then it's more of a sample box. So take what you want, but you don't really have to...

Seeing/Leeching - If it's just one person seeding then moving forward, then I think the box needs to go round the circle at least twice. Alternatively, a few members can send stuff to one person just to get the box started with at least 20+ samples... Im happy to send stuff in advance so that when I get the box there's stuff to look at, otherwise the first few people don't have much to try...

Ideas for rules - as mentioned, you can always just test without taking, if you do take, try to put back at least a few more then you took jus to get it growing, trade things of roughly the same value (eg if I take out 1 sample that's rare/valuable, then I'll put back at least 3-5 mainstream ones - that's just me though)

Shipping - seeing as how I'm in Canada :-(... any suggestions on how to handle/label the boxes, or does that mean I'm out? Tracking and communication is a must.

17. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Actually, my thought was to cast the net a bit wider: there's so much out there between us all that I thought we might take a general list and try to fill those with decants. For instance: Knize Ten, Antaeus, Jicky, etc. If those turned up on the want list, I'd put a decant (10ml or so) in the box so multiple people could give it a try. I guess at that point you have your decants that more or less stay in the box and samples that can come out. Not everyone will get to try everything they ever wanted, of course, but I'd like to try and scratch as many itches as I can.
    Sounds good in theory but it sort of defeats the purpose if you can't keep anything for extended testing doesn't it? I'm in the same boat as you but I don't want to hold onto the box for too long. Take out what I want and send it on its way.

18. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Sounds good in theory but it sort of defeats the purpose if you can't keep anything for extended testing doesn't it? I'm in the same boat as you but I don't want to hold onto the box for too long. Take out what I want and send it on its way.

I don't think it'll be that everything stays in the box, just that if there are a few really popular ones that everyon's interested in, then we do a larger decant and it stays in the box for everyone to try while most of the other samples get swapped in and out...

Is there some sort of shared docs like google or something we can use? That way everyone can make a note of what tehy have / want from someone else (to see if there are multiple people interested in one sample, or high demand for one)

19. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

1. Thanks for making this a seperate thread...
    2. I think we should generally stick with fragrances, unless you guys really want to expand away from that... I mean I could throw in some shaving creams/balms, face lotions, man juice, etc too I geuss.
    3. i'd like this to be more of a swap box, but it doesn't have to be. if you just spray something once and don't like it, then it's more of a sample box. So take what you want, but you don't really have to...

Seeing/Leeching - If it's just one person seeding then moving forward, then I think the box needs to go round the circle at least twice. Alternatively, a few members can send stuff to one person just to get the box started with at least 20+ samples... Im happy to send stuff in advance so that when I get the box there's stuff to look at, otherwise the first few people don't have much to try...

Ideas for rules - as mentioned, you can always just test without taking, if you do take, try to put back at least a few more then you took jus to get it growing, trade things of roughly the same value (eg if I take out 1 sample that's rare/valuable, then I'll put back at least 3-5 mainstream ones - that's just me though)

Shipping - seeing as how I'm in Canada :-(... any suggestions on how to handle/label the boxes, or does that mean I'm out? Tracking and communication is a must.

Hmmm. Valid points.

I also see it as a swap, but want people to have a shot at trying something but not being penalized for being lower on the list. The more I think of it, though, I'm starting to think that this is mostly a good chance to try new things and less a targeted sample swap. Otherwise it can get complicated.

Canada: as I understand it anything anywhere on the package or customs declaration that refers to fragrance or perfume or what have you is seized. I think "cosmetics" is allowed but not sure on that. Clanking bottles are likewise a no-no, so we'd have to pack carefully. I use one of those vacuum food sealers for the bottles and then pad carefully. I think it's possible to pull this off if we only ship into Canada once, and then back out once, but whoever ships into Canada would have to be careful. Should we start this in Canada and then come down into the states? I could send my samples up there to help start the box and give you something to comb through.

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

^I think that we need a map of who lives where. That way we can trace out a route and have the box in transit for as little time as possible between people. Just seems simpler that way. If someone's in NY then they can ship over into Toronto. CA can ship over to WA. That sort of thing.

I really think this is going to be more of a novelty than a targeted swap. You get the box, see if there is anything you like, put in anything you have that you no longer want, and send it along.