• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"That guy" list in Details

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sigmatic
it says i'm 'cool' but then it shows a pic of matthew perry so i'm sorta confused...

I got the same... is that some kind of backhanded compliment?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm "that guy", but only 10% of the time.

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Gatz
The most annoying thing about that quiz, and Details in general, is that they've been guilty of helping to spread a ton of the exact annoying behavior they're attempting to poke fun at. Apologies if there are any Details fans out there, but any time I picked one up to look through, the pages seemed to be jammed with douchebags who no doubt would answer yes to 95% of those questions.

And to answer the OP's question, they definitely don't all belong in the same group, and yes, some are definitely a hell of a lot cheesier than others.

Thanks. Some things are just using the latest technologies, whereas others are rather condescending and/or cheesy.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sort of quiz is a good example of the relationship details & gq appear to have with their readers. The readers, I would guess, are not for the most part regular readers, but people who subscribe for one year or who buy two issues in two months when they are freaking out about needing a suit for their brother's wedding. These guys do not really like clothes or style or fashion, so they want a sparknotes version of the same. As long as it's said in short, snappy, unambiguous sentences, with a cooler-than-your-co-workers, confidential tone, readers eat it up. And think they are getting what they paid for. It gives them confidence to pull the trigger on some purchases. So one month it's like, brass buttons are in, then four months later, it's cool to replace your brass buttons. Most of it is all formula. You could probably write a computer program to generate GQ-worthy advice by randomly selecting parts of a sentence from four tables. group 1: Never, Always group 2: Wear, Buy, Give Away group 3: New, Worn-Out, Tight-fitting, Loose-fitting group 4: Hip, Classic group 5: Shoes, Socks, Jackets, Shirts, Stuff That said, not all of it is by formula. They print some off-the-wall **** in there. My favorite-ever GQ gem was a short feature on how to roll up your sleeves. Tired of rolling up your sleeves the regular old way? Add some pizzazz to your look by rolling them up to your bicep! Stuff like that is beyond parody. Thank god someone noticed the latest fashion in rolling up your sleeves! I don't think they are jerking the same guys around. No one can be reading these magazines month after month for years and years.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it says i'm 'cool' but then it shows a pic of matthew perry so i'm sorta confused...

Same here. But **** that quiz: Hayden Panettiere is hot!!

Agnacious

Reaction score
I think a better classification would be "if you're over 30 and do these things you are "That guy".
Most of the things listed I would say are not "that guyish" if done by an appropriate age group.

For instance, I know people (under 30) that say "My bad" and it barely registers because it fits them, but when someone older, even older than me (40+) says it, I just want to smack them. In the latter case, they are definitely that guy.

Of course if someone wants to be known for something, like the guy I knew who had to order off menu every time, or the people that make an ordeal about their wine, then that would qualify as a that guy event on matter the age.

I am on the other side of 40, so I only answered yes to one, and admittedly I only do it because I know it annoys the people who hear it, so I am that guy occasionally. But I do wish people would stop pretending to like country music, then maybe it would go away.

supercarl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
This sort of quiz is a good example of the relationship details & gq appear to have with their readers. The readers, I would guess, are not for the most part regular readers, but people who subscribe for one year or who buy two issues in two months when they are freaking out about needing a suit for their brother's wedding. These guys do not really like clothes or style or fashion, so they want a sparknotes version of the same. As long as it's said in short, snappy, unambiguous sentences, with a cooler-than-your-co-workers, confidential tone, readers eat it up. And think they are getting what they paid for. It gives them confidence to pull the trigger on some purchases.

So one month it's like, brass buttons are in, then four months later, it's cool to replace your brass buttons. Most of it is all formula. You could probably write a computer program to generate GQ-worthy advice by randomly selecting parts of a sentence from four tables.

group 1: Never, Always
group 2: Wear, Buy, Give Away
group 3: New, Worn-Out, Tight-fitting, Loose-fitting
group 4: Hip, Classic
group 5: Shoes, Socks, Jackets, Shirts, Stuff

That said, not all of it is by formula. They print some off-the-wall **** in there. My favorite-ever GQ gem was a short feature on how to roll up your sleeves. Tired of rolling up your sleeves the regular old way? Add some pizzazz to your look by rolling them up to your bicep! Stuff like that is beyond parody. Thank god someone noticed the latest fashion in rolling up your sleeves!

I don't think they are jerking the same guys around. No one can be reading these magazines month after month for years and years.

Agree completely, and would also comment that the majority of magazines (here in England at least) appear to recycle articles after 12 months.

No disrespect intended to any resident journalists!
blush.gif

juicemakesugar

Reaction score
I yes'd the one about Office Space. My subscription to Details is evident in the skyscraper of magazines steadily gathering dust and bacteria on my bathroom floor.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
For instance, I know people (under 30) that say "My bad" and it barely registers because it fits them, but when someone older, even older than me (40+) says it, I just want to smack them. In the latter case, they are definitely that guy.

To make it worse, I think, for your example, it is actually dependent on the situation. Let me be Mr. Manners for a second. No matter the age, in some situations one ought to say "I apologize" or "I'm sorry." "My bad," is flippant and cannot be taken as a true apology. So no matter the age "My bad," can be a sign of That Guy. But because it's contextual, this survey is even more useless.

b

daveboxster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fortysomething
Do some of the items mentioned in this list (paper copy) or quiz (see link) definitely not belong in the same grouping, that is, some of these definitely seem a lot cheesier than others?

http://men.style.com/details/quizzes/thatguy/thatguy/

Just didn't seem like they were all on equal footing as being bad.
confused.gif

This is hysterical. I LMAO reading it!

Even funnier: The reactions on this thread! Come on, can't you take a little humor???

And one thing about GQ, Vogue, etc: Probably a topic within itself, but don't you think the content in these magazines are HEAVILY influenced by their advertisers???

Cheers, Ciao, or whatever

PS - My bad for the spelling/grammatical errors.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
To make it worse, I think, for your example, it is actually dependent on the situation. Let me be Mr. Manners for a second. No matter the age, in some situations one ought to say "I apologize" or "I'm sorry." "My bad," is flippant and cannot be taken as a true apology. So no matter the age "My bad," can be a sign of That Guy. But because it's contextual, this survey is even more useless.

b

I'm one of those guys over 40 who says "My bad". But I only do it on the dance floor, when I'm counting the beat of the music and can't spare the brainwaves to say something like "I apologize for the late lead that made you trip over my foot so both of us looked bad". The longer apology comes after the dance is over.

And no matter what anyone says, Hayden Panettiere is hot. I can appreciate beauty no matter what the age, but looking doesn't mean I want to touch.

rolex

Reaction score

lol.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy, was that depressing. Matt Perry? Just because I used Evite? My god. . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads