• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Testoni BASIC quality

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soliciting opinions on these Testoni BASICS from those familiar with the workmanship of that line. Although I've seen a few scattered comments on old threads rejecting BASICS in general as inferior to the standard made-in-Italy Testonis, I'm wondering if these might not at least be a fairly decent model, even if not premium quality. Perhaps I'm foolish to judge from a photograph, but I like the styling and these look to demonstrate decent workmanship, and to be made of a reasonably sturdy but supple leather. Might I be wrong, or could the workmanship or materials really be substandard? I'm not a shoe snob, just want an elegant-looking, reasonably well-made shoe that will feel comfortable.

http://www.6pm.com/testoni-basic-d45765brm-prestige-calf-nero

Any thoughts appreciated, either from those with direct experience with the line, or others with enough expertise to judge from the photos (or to know if that's even reasonable :) ).

AriG

Reaction score
I have a gunmetal testoni black label oxford that is dope and clearly feels premium. The other day I ordered a black basic calf derby. Sent it back as it felt cheap in comparison and was cut weirdly roomy even though it was the same size. Also, the leather was kind of thin and the finish bland. It's possible you'll have better luck.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately, all the feedback I've read is in comparison to their premium line, and not all that specific. Hard to get an objective quality assessment, although thanks for the heads up on the leather on yours. Maybe I'll test another style from someplace that offers free returns, just for a sense of the general workmanship...

MBAStudent

Reaction score
I was looking for some high-quality dress shoes that will last. A couple weeks ago, I found some dress shoes, mislabeled as "Testoni Basic" when they are really a. testoni brand. They are the lowest price that I could find on a. testoni shoes with a leather outsole. At the time, they were listed at $150/pair. Since then, the price has fluctuated, and they sold out of quite a few sizes, but they may be restocking soon. I'd keep an eye out:

http://www.6pm.com/testoni-basic-d45937-buckle-cuoio-cordoba-punch-nero-dark-metal-cuoio-nubuck
http://www.6pm.com/testoni-basic-d45938-derby-cuoio-cordoba-calf-nero-cuoio-nubuck

If you look at the sole, it's stamped with a. testoni and Made in Italy. "Testoni Basic" is their lower price brand, which isn't made in Italy. I called a. testoni before I placed the order to confirm that they were leather outsole (looks a bit man-made in the picture and not like their normal leather outsole), and they confirmed it's a leather outsole. Bluefly.com lists two of the styles as a. testoni brand at over $250/pair. When I received them via UPS, the boxes said a. testoni instead of "Testoni Basic", and the monk strap style shoes came with individual dust bags...

All things considered, I'm convinced that they are a. testoni and not "Testoni Basic"...

I'm very happy with the quality (although I'm no shoe snob, either). Be careful with the fit, as 6pm.com has a return policy that makes you pay return shipping if the reason for your return is your fault (wrong size would be considered your fault). I wear a size 12 in dress shoes (size 13 in Nike), and I found them true to size if not a little snug/narrow. I think that they will become more comfortable with time as the leather breaks in...

Last edited:

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was looking for some high-quality dress shoes that will last. A couple weeks ago, I found some dress shoes, mislabeled as "Testoni Basic" when they are really a. testoni brand. They are the lowest price that I could find on a. testoni shoes with a leather outsole. At the time, they were listed at $150/pair. Since then, the price has fluctuated, and they sold out of quite a few sizes, but they may be restocking soon. I'd keep an eye out:

http://www.6pm.com/testoni-basic-d45937-buckle-cuoio-cordoba-punch-nero-dark-metal-cuoio-nubuck
http://www.6pm.com/testoni-basic-d45938-derby-cuoio-cordoba-calf-nero-cuoio-nubuck

If you look at the sole, it's stamped with a. testoni and Made in Italy... [clipped]

Great deal -- wish I were a fan of double-monks. Interesting that even now they still have them identified as Basics, despite the clear evidence on the sole. Nice score!

MBAStudent

Reaction score
FYI, these are back at $150 w/ limited sizes available in black. The wingtips are readily available in the graphite color, and size 12 in black. I have the graphite ones on right now... They look really sharp with a pair of jeans. The punched double monks are available in black in sizes 9 and 9.5, I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics