• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ten best jeans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A couple of questions:

Who carries Corpus Jeans?
What do APC unwashed jeans fit like?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Where does Edwin fall into the mix? I recently picked up a pair of there jeans and love them more than any other pair i own.
Edwin - classic, western jeans. Excellent quality. Not for me, but would definitely recommend them to anyone else. May I ask which model you bought?

Brian SD

Reaction score
A couple of questions:

Who carries Corpus Jeans?
What do APC unwashed jeans fit like?
APC unwashed jeans, like all unwashed jeans, are incredibly stiff when you first get them. However, when you become more accustomed to it, the stiffness is desirable. I love breaking in a good pair of unwashed jeans. The fit is relaxed. It's a full cut, but not baggy by any means, it's just very traditional, but with a straight leg instead of tapered. The rise is on the lower side.

APC, Edwin, Uniqlo all produce wonderful unwashed selvage jeans that are what Levi's wish they could be making.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(demeis @ Feb. 24 2005,15:42) Where does Edwin fall into the mix? Â I recently picked up a pair of there jeans and love them more than any other pair i own.
Edwin - classic, western jeans. Excellent quality. Not for me, but would definitely recommend them to anyone else. May I ask which model you bought?
They are the Tokyo Red selvage, special sx model. The Yoshi SX, sx-26. I might actually be selling a new pair in a size 29. i bought two from this guy and the 29 is a bit snug but i really like them but don't know if i want to identical pairs.

Brian SD

Reaction score
(Brian SD @ Feb. 24 2005,19:24)
Originally Posted by demeis,Feb. 24 2005,15:42
Where does Edwin fall into the mix? I recently picked up a pair of there jeans and love them more than any other pair i own.
They are the Tokyo Red selvage, special sx model. The Yoshi SX, sx-26. I might actually be selling a new pair in a size 29. i bought two from this guy and the 29 is a bit snug but i really like them but don't know if i want to identical pairs.
Very nice jeans. I actually have a pair of that exact model (in size 29, at that).

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much as I hate to admit my crass incompetence when it comes to jeans, given I don't have many occasions to wear any, I am ready to improve .
What do the modern "repro" look like, in terms of fit ? I am thinking of the ubiquitous 1955 501 repro & 1947 501 repro & Lee 101B. I like my jeans "à la Helmut Lang", hence I am looking for quite a low rise, slimmer legs, and slight bootcut.

TIA
.luc

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much as I hate to admit my crass incompetence when it comes to jeans, given I don't have many occasions to wear any, I am ready to improve .
What do the modern "repro" look like, in terms of fit ? I am thinking of the ubiquitous 1955 501 repro & 1947 501 repro & Lee 101B. I like my jeans "à la Helmut Lang", hence I am looking for quite a low rise, slimmer legs, and slight bootcut.

TIA
.luc
Then I would not suggest the reproductions, instead, I would look towards Nudie and some of the other "brands" that posters on this topic suggest. Look at Lee's X line Rosco in raw selvedge... has all the things you are looking for.

Civet?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Neither the 47 or the 55s will give you cut a la Helmut Lang, to be honest. You'll only be disappointed, especially with the seat being cut two fit two Helmut Lang asses inside of them. Check out these. They will be much more along the lines you're looking for. They are unwashed with redline selvage like the repros, but the rise is lower, the seat has a much closer fit and they are a slim leg (slightly tapered). They are also sanforized, so if you do not want to wash them right away, you don't have to worry about compensating for shrinkage. Sizing is true to tag, and they come in one length (34"). The Anglaise cut is looser (not baggy, more classic), but has the same rules as far as length, selvage and denim quality. If you're really bent on getting Levis repros, the 1947s are the slimmest. However, the rise is high (think 12", instead of 9" like HL). I am not a 501 man myself. I admire the Levis heritage and the importance of the 501, but they just don't look good on me, and it sounds like you're into the same cut that I am. If you want a nice, regular fit straight leg jean with unwashed selvage denim, check out Uniqlo, as I linked earlier in this thread. So cheap, and a more updated cut than the LVC 501 repros. I think 30 pounds for their selvage jean (available in England, though I'm not sure where), and they're really sweet; take my word for that. There is also Nudie's Slim Jim (straight) and Super Slim Kim (tapered), and Boot Cut Ola (slight boot). All of those have a nice slim leg.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for these quick and tremendous replies .

T4phage : A civet is a way to accomodate game. It's basically a red wine based marinade where you put carrots, onions, and some aromatic (genièvre, laurier : sorry, I don't know the english terms for these) : throw your game in there (hare, for instance) for 24 hours.
Then you need a big iron-cast pot, where you put some ham -chest with olive oil, then your meat which you have taken out the marinade, then you can add the marinade and let the thing cook for a few hours at minimal temperature. Filter the sauce, et voila, le civet.

.luc

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

T4phage : A civet is a way to accomodate game. It's basically a red wine based marinade where you put carrots, onions, and some aromatic (genièvre, laurier : sorry, I don't know the english terms for these) : throw your game in there (hare, for instance) for 24 hours.
Then you need a big iron-cast pot, where you put some ham -chest with olive oil, then your meat which you have taken out the marinade, then you can add the marinade and let the thing  cook for a few hours at minimal temperature. Filter the sauce, et voila, le civet.

.luc
Ahhh.... Grazie.
First thing that popped into my head was the mongoose relative, then I was wondering how the heck you got it in Europe.

itzamazing

Reaction score
The larger your thighs are, the more youre gonna want a boot cut to even out your the cut. Don't wear Sevens.
Actually you can wear Sevens even if you have larger thighs. The key is to buy the relaxed fit (indicated by a button fly) and not the bootcut fit (indicated by a standard zipper fly). The bootcut fit is way too narrow in the thigh area. Both have similar cuts at the bottom, but the relaxed fit defintely accomodates those of us with larger thighs.

Kaga

Reaction score

Then you need a big iron-cast pot, where you put some ham -chest with olive oil, then your meat which you have taken out the marinade, then you can add the marinade and let the thing  cook for a few hours at minimal temperature. Filter the sauce, et voila, le civet.

.luc
juniper and laurel for genievre and laurier.

civet de lievre = jugged hare.

yum yum.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Kaga .

Sorry Brian_SD, we'll stop here with our culinary disgressions.

.luc

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may interest some of you to know that JPG da'mage jeans (city wash, and the lighter one) are for sale at Nordstrom's rack in Costa Mesa for $70. Plenty of sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads