• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me what you think about GAP

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
main problem with the GAP is that they haven't differentiated the brand enough from old navy and banana republic. Gap is still slightly above old navy in terms of quality, material used, and fit but its not enough to justify the price tag being something like double old navy prices. The same thing goes for banana republic its not that much nicer than gap stuff to justify the super high prices gap is a nice middle ground because all three stores sell about the same thing decent looking basics that everyone can use. One of these brands is gonna need to get the axe and the other 2 that are left are gonna need a major over haul if they want to survive. I often shop at the GAP only when there is a major clearance sale which means their best jeans ~$10, dress pants ~$10, tees ~$3-4, thick durable sweaters ~$10 at clearance prices its cheap and better than anything else at that price range. Banana Republic also has these prices at clearance with slightly softer fabric and usually about the same designs so I hit up the two interchangeably during their clearances and stock up on enough stuff for a year on a shoe string budget. I think I rambled too much, but hopefully this helps and is somewhat coherent.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Out of sheer curiosity, name them for me. Jon.
Vacaville, CA. Sacramento, CA. well, maybe these aren't 3rd world just yet. Maybe 2nd world. Just wait for all the new cookie cutters they built to start looking like nobody gives a **** about them.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
main problem with the GAP is that they haven't differentiated the brand enough from old navy and banana republic. Gap is still slightly above old navy in terms of quality, material used, and fit but its not enough to justify the price tag being something like double old navy prices. The same thing goes for banana republic its not that much nicer than gap stuff to justify the super high prices gap is a nice middle ground because all three stores sell about the same thing decent looking basics that everyone can use. One of these brands is gonna need to get the axe and the other 2 that are left are gonna need a major over haul if they want to survive. I often shop at the GAP only when there is a major clearance sale which means their best jeans ~$10, dress pants ~$10, tees ~$3-4, thick durable sweaters ~$10 at clearance prices its cheap and better than anything else at that price range. Banana Republic also has these prices at clearance with slightly softer fabric and usually about the same designs so I hit up the two interchangeably during their clearances and stock up on enough stuff for a year on a shoe string budget. I think I rambled too much, but hopefully this helps and is somewhat coherent.

I agree with this. With the economy today we have only seen the tip of the iceburg. I think GAP would mostly likely get the axe because the class gaps are widening.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I agree with this. With the economy today we have only seen the tip of the iceburg. I think GAP would mostly likely get the axe because the class gaps are widening.

I honestly think that GAP wouldn't get the axe, and that they might have a "˜BR Corner' inside of GAP stores and will keep Old Navy before they kill GAP.

Jon.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I honestly think that GAP wouldn't get the axe, and that they might have a "˜BR Corner' inside of GAP stores and will keep Old Navy before they kill GAP.

Jon.

They may merge BR and GAP, but they'd have to refer to it by the higher end name I'd think. In any case, I think Old Navy will end up being the most "successful".

converge

Reaction score
Everything is bland and cut poorly. Seriously, their regular dress shirts, even in XS, fit like a tent.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
even their boxers suck, compared with BR, JCrew, etc.

repressedm

Reaction score
I think the problem is quality. Some of their best stuff can be (has in the past been) quite good, but far too much of their stuff in unacceptably bad.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember reading that The Sartorialist thinks they're going to make a comeback during 2008. Don't know what to say to that.

Agree with the bland comments though, which is why I don't shop there anymore.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
They're trying to upscale their image and offerings with the recent Band of Outsiders and Michael Bastian shirts collaborations....both of which I think were pretty awful and wouldnt have gotten a second look if it didnt have the designer's name attached to it

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
They're trying to upscale their image and offerings with the recent Band of Outsiders and Michael Bastian shirts collaborations....both of which I think were pretty awful and wouldnt have gotten a second look if it didnt have the designer's name attached to it

i think that's kinda the reason they did them

although the Uniqlo X Tim Ham collaboration was kind of head scratch inducing...i saw the same club collar shirt in his main line that looks worse and costs $600.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
With a GapxBoO collab for example (which ended up only being for women which is odd considering BoO make its name with menswear and only recently added a woman's line)....I think what guys were hoping for was the BoO fit with less finery in the details (cheap plastic vs mop buttons for example) since fit never costs any more money to produce.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that is a good point. i wonder why it is so hard for these high street stores to get fit right, when that's the one aspect they could really be emphasizing to get more people (especially the fashion conscious) to start buying their **** regularly, since they have to skimp on fabric quality due to costs. I think it has to do with mass production vs. small scale; in the former a lot has to be cranked out in the same amount of time so less attention to details and it's just hammered away factory style like an auditor cranking out spreadsheets on excel.

swentz

Reaction score
Thanks to all that have replied. Seems majority have issues with quality and pricing?

Shannon

Enfo

Reaction score
I work for BR at one of the flagships in NY so I can tell you what the view inside the company is.

Most retail stores are down for the year. Old Navy is struggling more than most other stores, but Gap is pretty much in a good spot. Banana Republic is the one company doing good in the Gap circle (also including Piperlime & International).

One of the problems is that Gap and Old Navy have too similar product and take away from each other. Banana is a step above with the quality and suiting selection, but we have our own customer outside the other two.

Our biggest complaints are sizes and price. The women's sizes are pretty good since we have our petites sizes available almost everywhere. Men's sizes are really off. You could try on 2 of the same shirt/size and have completely different fits. Honestly, it's because the stuff is made cheap, but thats how we make our money.

The BR Monogram collection is another issue. It's an upscale version of the regular Banana, and product usually costs 30% higher, but customer's arent responding to it well. If you look at a Monogram suit, and a regular BR suit, you would go for the one that costs $150 less. The fits are supposed to be more tailored, (and the shirts/ trousers are) but the blazers and sweaters arent worth the price difference.

The employee discount is pretty good though
rimshot.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads