• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tech Geeks - please halp!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's the situ:

My laptop died, and after diagnosis I realized it was the hard drive. Bought a new hard drive, loaded WinXP, and everything set up perfectly.

Problem is, I cannot connect to the internet (ethernet or wireless) because neither device is showing up in Network Places. I suspect this is because I used a WinXP boot disk unassociated with my machine, so that none of the drivers and BIOS specific to my laptop were loaded upon reformat. At least I suspect this is what happened.

Now, this is where my meager knowledge ends. What should I do? The laptop is a Dell Precision M4400. I am assuming I need to go to Dell's site and download SOMETHING (be it BIOS, drivers, ??) for this model and then USB them over to the laptop in question and somehow "load them". But I do not know what this process entails, or what exactly I need to DL, or how to "load them" (is it just running an executable and rebooting?). Thanks in advance.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be having a Dell Product Key sticker somewhere on the laptop. Go to the Dell service website enter that and it should automatically tell you which drivers to download.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are 81 drivers to download for my laptop model. Not sure which to download. I am assuming I need all of them. Do I really have to go 1 by 1?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC they have an option of a zip file / installable file in which you can download all of them as a package / program and then install them in one go

Are you searching by your particular prodyct number which would be unique for your laptop or by the general series number which would be same for all laptops of the series

EDIT: On my computer there is a sticker with this info

Service Tag - xxxxxxxx
Express Service Code - xxxxxxxxx
Mfg Date - xxxxxx

Service tag does the trick, thereafter you need to select the drivers ( to be safe you can select all) add them to the download list and download the list in one go.

You may need all the 81 files but you dont have to download them in 81 separate instances. make a list and a single download will get you all the files you need

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What he said. Also Dell Drivers are prepacked zips that are self extracting and will automatically setup, so pretty much just double click and go once downloaded.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did all that and the website took me to a place with 80 drivers for my specific machine. I downloaded the "recommended" ones, but I guess I installed them in the wrong order because some of them refused to install. There was no obvious option on the site for mass self-extraction or anything that installed more than one driver at a time. No batch install option, that is.

Good news is that I got my local area LAN connection working at least. Wireless still not showing up in Network Connections. Oh well.

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
teacha.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I did all that and the website took me to a place with 80 drivers for my specific machine. I downloaded the "recommended" ones, but I guess I installed them in the wrong order because some of them refused to install. There was no obvious option on the site for mass self-extraction or anything that installed more than one driver at a time. No batch install option, that is.

Good news is that I got my local area LAN connection working at least. Wireless still not showing up in Network Connections. Oh well.

First, you have to make sure the driver for the wireless chip is loaded. Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager. Scroll down to make sure there is a wireless adapter, and that it's functional, in the Network Adapters group.

After this is done, go to Control Panel > Network Connections, then click on Create a new connection. Follow the wizard to connect to your wireless network.

Reboot.

BTW, make sure to turn the wireless device switch on if there's one on your laptop.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wifi can be screwey on a lot of laptops I've found. Sometimes the windows wifi manager just doesn't work. You may want to download the Intel ProSet wifi drivers and try those. Even if you don't like the Intel ProSet software, which I don't, installing it can at least get your Windows Wifi manager working so you can later disable the Intel ProSet software.

r...

Reaction score
You dont need to download all 80 drivers. DNW already mentioned how to get to the Device Manager window, once there scroll down and expand or click on anything with a yellow question mark, get these drivers first.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is no wireless device under Network Adapters. Only the 1394 Net Adapter and an Intel driver for the regular LAN.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got the Intel wireless drivers from the Dell site, but upon unzipping the package and attempting to begin auto-installation, it fails.

"This software package cannot be installed on your system. The setup application will exit."

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So right now the problem is that wi-fi adapter is not being detected by the machine ?

Why dont you shut don the machine, turn off the wireless switch (physical swtch), turn it on and then restart the machine. It might detect it while starting up ...

Would you mind posting the service tag of te machine. I could have a look at what drivers are available ....

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
So right now the problem is that wi-fi adapter is not being detected by the machine ?

Why dont you shut don the machine, turn off the wireless switch (physical swtch), turn it on and then restart the machine. It might detect it while starting up ...

Would you mind posting the service tag of te machine. I could have a look at what drivers are available ....

Sure. I think I have all the right driver installer files. Problem is some of them have the error when trying to install.

Right now I am getting the error with:

INTEL_INTEL--R--WIFI-LINK-51_A02_R259640.exe
INTEL_INTEL--R--WIMAX-LINK-5_A03_R262861.exe

Service tag is: 36H5GH1

That is what I used to access the drivers on Dell's site in the first place.

Thanks for offering to help, btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads