• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tear apart my resume!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
increase your font in the bullets.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Its looking much better. To fill in the white space, do these 3 things:

-Squeeze the margins back to normal. You have half an inch on the left and 3/8 on the right and it looks too wide for the page...going back to some more normal margins should eat up some space.
-Fix the font sizes. You have at least 4 different font sizes in use....the text of the bullets should go back to 11 (and you could probably just put a bullet on the description if you wanted...doesn't matter)
-Block out your contact information. On mine, I have:
Code:
                             NAME NAME
                                  email
                                  phone
                           address line 1
                           address line 2
                           City State Zip
This fills in a few lines and provides some useful info. You may fill in your address somewhere else, but the piece of paper that gets passed around is the resume so it may be what someone looks at if they need to send you something (like an offer).

Couple of tweaks I would make:
-It looks like you have used spaces to push the cities and dates to the right of the page--there is a way to set those lines as multiple columns so you can actually right align them. Right now, you can tell that they don't line up nicely. I believe the way to do this is to select the lines you want, go to the advanced columns (alt P-J-C in word 2007) and change it to 2 columns and apply to selected text. Then you can have perfect right alignment.
-I would call it "Relevant Coursework"...sounds a little nicer and I think its the correct term.
-Dunno what it gives you to include a separate GPA and Major GPA if they are the same. Also...no offense but at a certain point it can be worthwhile to drop the GPA. Thats going to depend on the school and the job but a lot of people don't include it because sometimes they will just drop resumes below a certain GPA from the pile.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another way to do this would be to go to 'Paragraphs', 'Tabs' (bottom left), set the position to 6.5 and alignment to 'right'. Then you hit tab when you have finished your line and it directs you to the right-hand side of the page.

-It looks like you have used spaces to push the cities and dates to the right of the page--there is a way to set those lines as multiple columns so you can actually right align them. Right now, you can tell that they don't line up nicely. I believe the way to do this is to select the lines you want, go to the advanced columns (alt P-J-C in word 2007) and change it to 2 columns and apply to selected text. Then you can have perfect right alignment.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree with Blackhood, although I'd keep the excel functions. The reason to list it is your typical recruiter doesn't know **** about excel, and typical analyst jobs require a lot of excel, and require v look ups and pivot tables so they see it on the job description for the job they are hiring then scam resume's and see it on the resume and they'll take note.
Also I would put the months for the dates, and order from when you last worked each job with most recent first
it's super cramped, should make it 2 pages. If anything just dump the extra cirriculars on the 2nd page

Create separate, focused resumes for different industries and maintain in different folders. Don't save and submit a resume that says BobJones_resume_retail.doc because it becomes clear that you are applying to separate industries.
Retail
Polo Ralph Lauren, J Crew, A&F's Retail Development program, Brooks Brothers,
Blue Chip Tech
Apple, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Dell, Intel, AMD
Tech
Groupon, Gilt, Google,
Finance
Thomson Reuters (Better Role in NY perhaps), Everlane,
"Extra-Curricular Activities" is generally labeled "interests & other" and this section should be much smaller (10 lines or less). For your "retail" resume, move "Return of the Strangers" to the top and describe sales/customer experience. For your "tech" resume, move this to the top and stress the online portion of this start-up. For all others, make it a small bullet point in extra-curriculars.
Currently each job you have in the professional experience section takes up about the same space. I would remove "Technical Support Consultant" role or turn it into one line. Reduce the information about the internships and focus on the two most recent positions. Re-frame your work under each job to apply specifically to a particular industry.
i.e.
for finance companies, stress work with financial statements, client sales, tax knowledge, etc.
for tech companies, stress interest in new technology, systems, application development, etc.
Lastly the format of the resume is not standard. Don't have any suggestions off-hand but might want to search for a better template online.
Agree with prior comments about:
- completely remove "core skills / tech skills" section. everyone should have the ones that you've listed
- make each work bullet point action / results oriented: "created new report that reduced processing time by 12 days"

Jesus, your resume is crowded and I don't get the feeling much of it matters. This is your biggest problem.
I want to see more white space, however cliche that may be.
I really would recommend picking up a resume book, I actually found "Gallery of Best Resume" series very helpful. You get to see and read dozens of resumes from different career fields and you can pick and choose what designs and "buzzwords" will work for you.

how's your interviewing skills. because if you can already hook interviews, but fail to get the job, that sounds like where your weakness is

Lot's of good stuff / advice posted already but just wanted to say a few points from what I experienced this past fall for recruiting (mostly corp. finance, banking and consulting (both tech and mgmt)

Resume
-1 page max, anything over is not acceptable
-I don't think it's too packed, most IBank friends have a much more loaded resume with font a lot smaller than what you have
-Focus more on what you accomplished, results are important
-If you are already working, extra curricular activities seem kind of moot, maybe keep the two that are active but remove the rest
-Change the font to a serif font, sans serif is not taken as seriously and arial is a bad font to start with
-Like someone mentioned, you need tailored resumes, stuff that will be focused on highlighting the qualities each job you are interviewing for wants
-Skills wise - Windows take out, office is ok, but highlight excel. Make sure you can do some sort of modelling and VBA if possible, project management - going off your resume, nothing to back that up, take out, familiarity with tech, take out. So now you have one skill left, maybe add it into the bullet points to say how you used excel to do something instead
-Are the dates not fully lined up? Set up tabs and use them.
-Any travel abroad or anything like that? Everything is in michigan

In terms of interviews:
-After each interview, make sure you send the standard thank you emails and once you find out their decision, email for feedback, most recruiters are willing to provide feedback, just make sure they remember who you are
-Read Barking up the wrong tree, use the related posts for endless information, start here:
http://www.bakadesuyo.com/a-great-persuasion-technique-to-use-during-a
-Ask the right questions, http://www.styleforum.net/t/266072/post-interview-questions/0_30
Green frogs question is straight fire, works super well every time
-Network network network, get up on LinkedIn, get in touch with anyone you know. Most companies have a referral program so people get paid if you get hired

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Another way to do this would be to go to 'Paragraphs', 'Tabs' (bottom left), set the position to 6.5 and alignment to 'right'. Then you hit tab when you have finished your line and it directs you to the right-hand side of the page.

I think that is exactly what I did (although with his wonky margins, 6.5 isn't quite right) on my real resume. I only had a PDF available and so I tried to recreate it on his resume and the columns was the only thing I could figure out since I have rarely used word since switching to 2007.

ballmouse's way is definitely better since if you have to submit a resume in word format (you should *always* be sending PDFs but sometimes they require word) and it gets run through a program that strips it down to plain text, your text will appear in the right order while the column method will switch up the order from company-location/position-dates to company/position/location/dates.
Not a huge deal but its nice to have the resume read as you indended it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads