Tear apart my resume!

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Saturdays, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

how's your interviewing skills. because if you can already hook interviews, but fail to get the job, that sounds like where your weakness is

2. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Had written a longer response, but I accidentally closed my browser.

Delete the skills section. Add more results to your work experience. You seem to have very short descriptions, because they arequite generic. As the person going through the resumes, I'd ask, "so what"? You have zero numbers or anything to make your work sound important or your projects big.

And if you need more room to expand your internship experiences, delete the last work experience and the last 2 activities. Only include those 3 if they are directly relevant to the position or company you're applying for.

And are you sure Finance is a BA? I thought it was a BSc?

And I would switch the position of the firm name and job title. I am distracted that my eyes catch your job title before the firm name because the job is in bold rather than the firm being in bold.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Had to stop after CYStyle's post: Since when were two pages acceptable for a college student/graduate? If you're having trouble fitting everything into one page, then you have too much and need to trim heavily but strategically. Chances are you're giving too much info than a recruiter will need (like the in skills section). Extra curricullars can be cut back too - program/organization and position on one line, what you did or achieved in the next and that's it. Like someone else mentioned you need figures in your entries - it serves to break up all the text and provides context for the reader.

Edit - As Trompe Le Monde mentioned, you've landed several good interviews but failed to land an offer. You should also re-evaluate your interviewing skills. You may want to practice being interviewed by the career services staff at your school (most offer this). Maybe attempt the cliche of videotaping yourself being interviewed by a friend (mock job interview of course and only use a friend you feel has their shit together).

4. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Thanks for the input. My transcript shows BA, does it really make a difference?
    I always thought the role was more important than the firm/company- i'll try switching them up.

well lets take a crack at it.

I usually go in a navy suit with a repp tie, regular oxfords. Try to be as conservative as possible. Presntation is not a problem, i know I present well.

1. Things I myself am weary about are examples of weaknesses - I know the wrong answer is 'I have no weaknesses', I know the answer they are usually looking for is how i improve myself based on a weakness.
      I usually relate to an experience where I had a moment of weakness, and show how I improved and overcame that weakness.
    2. I always reply that I am a team player, that I enjoy and see a great deal of benefit in working in a team environment. However, I understand that a team is only as good as its worst team member, and that individual effort is important.
    3. When given computational questions (only intel gave me one, and i nailed it having not even been a supply chain major or familiar with the process).
    4. When talking about projects i've done I highlight a few projects I've done in regards to investment planning for a client in one of my internships, I also highlight a project in school about corporate financial planning for a project that requires computation of NPV and making decisions of NPV alone.

Someone told me that my worst quality was that I am aspiring to do something outside my realm. That I interview for one position, but i seem to be interested in taking that position to get a better position elsewhere. Thus it being that I am not as interested in the position I am interviewing for. So to fix that I am straying away from showing too much interest in other departments or jobs at a company and trying to keep my passions in one line.

5. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

dunno. I've always been a 1 pager myself being a recent grad in the same boat, some people recruiters/hr/career center etc. say 2 pages is fine, some say 1. I don't put any volunteer experience and clubs or w/e in my resume cause there's no space.

i'm pretty terrible at interviewing. i look forward to seeing some more advice too for the future.

What do you want to do at BB?

6. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

The one page resume is a very American thing. It's not necessarily bad because it forces you to prune BUT if you have enough education/experience to warrant two (even three) pages, go for it. You're borderline (but closer to one page still) so you have a call t make. Add some white space while you're at it, please.

Now, for the main piece of advice :)

I have hired (directly or as part of team) a few dozen people and reviewed several hundred resumes. I also worked with a lot of front line HR/recruiters. My biggest finding is that one must make the work as easy as possible for the junior recruiters (or machines in some cases) that do the initial screening. And my solution to it is to make the resume tailored to the posting by incorporating as much of the language, keywords, etc from the posting into your resume. And I mean stupid shit like changing "prepared weekly updates" to "prepared weekly briefings" if the posting has "briefings" listed among duties. It's hard to believe but stuff like that trips people over. Reword, reword and reword again, all with the goal of reflecting the job description's duties.

The recruiter scans the resume in a very short amount of time, 30 seconds, two minutes, whatever... and if she or he doesn't get hit immediately with "fit," you're s**t out of luck.

So, don't be lazy - prepare one resume per each meaningful opportunity where there's a decent fit between you and the role. Don't lie on the resume, but make the fit obviously easy for the reader. :slayer:

7. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Working at BB or RL is more of admiration and working for a company that I am committed to seeing greater future success. I have a real interest in merchandising, but can fill other roles that are more in my field. Not to mention they are both corporations that have corporate finance roles - but those are pretty senior as well in most cases.. My overall interest would be in supply chain, pricing, management, corporate operations/development. It would be a good start to possibly getting experience to something that can lead to merchandising and other roles.

As you can tell my interests are sort of everywhere, and i need to control them.

8. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

9. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Yeah GPA is 3.0, Entry Level jobs in Finance since I still don't really have the experience to qualify for anything above. I am gonna fix this up, was in the office late busy season for 1040s = long hours, i'll have time tomorrow to continue fixing it from the advice here and i'll update you all.

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

My suggestions. Overall you need to pump up your language. There's tons of underselling here. Too lazy to attempt much of a rewrite though. [ATTACHMENT=2504]Saturdays Resumejoffrey edit.docx (23k. docx file)[/ATTACHMENT]

11. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

for entry level, is the firm name more important than the title itself?

12. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

I've had great success with the attached resume. I only speak English and terrible French so i got rid of the languages section. I thought the last category was silly as well but it makes it really easy for the interviewer to segway into other topics & talk about what you do on your spare time.
    [ATTACHMENT=2505]Sample_Resume_2011.doc (55k. doc file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  13. otc

otc Senior member

The main navigant consulting or the economics group? From the resume I suppose I would guess not navigant economics.

The resume does seem too full like everyone says....and I don't like the gray bars. And the margin squeeze to make everything fit kind of hurts.

Not *every* item has to have 3 bullet points. You don't need to dedicate 5 total lines to the fact that you were the Dorm IT guy since its barely related to what you want to do. I would drop at least one of those jobs...either the IT one or the hospital finance one--this is where you can tailor your resume to the job by what you include.

Make the skills section a comma separated list if you want to include it. All I have to look at now is a generic (non-company specific) resume from after I graduated in 2009 and it looks like this:
    Skills:
    Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Windows, Apple, UNIX, STATA, SAS, SQL, C/C++, Java, Python, HTML, Photoshop
    Fluent English, Proficient in Norwegian and Spanish
    The point is to have the word on the page for some HR person who needs to see it but otherwise that section is completely unimportant (and the languages will come off since I would no longer even call myself proficient and there is very little reason to waste a line specifying that I am fluent in english).
    The windows thing is probably garbage...you graduated college and know how to use excel...you can probably use a computer. Basically cut this section to one line and put it at the bottom of your resume.

Cut out an extracurricula activity too...tailor the resume here. Almost everybody in finance tried to join some student investment association so that is almost pure garbage...maybe keep it for the pure finance jobs but don't let it wrap to two lines. If you get rid of that, you can rephrase the section as "Leadership Activities" which sounds better and might actually get read rather than "Here are random clubs I joined and may or may not have been active in"
    Same for the apparel thing....doesn't necessarily fit the jobs you are looking for (and shows up as something that would take your time away from work) and is not really worth 3 bullet points if you keep it at all--might be better to keep that in your back pocket for the interview if you need to throw something out.

With all of that space I just saved you, is there room for a line in the education section listing relevant coursework? List out 2-3 classes (on one line) you took that are relevent to the job you are applying to and that sound interesting.

One more little tidying tweak I would suggest...just seems to make things more readable and interesting is to swap the order of the position name and the company name. If I am reading this, I *know* you were an intern or tech support guy with a fancy name or whatever...all entry level positions. I am more interested in where you were doing that work. And you can clean it up a little I think by right aligning the city above the dates.

more like this (without the dots):

THOMSON REUTERS.....................................................................................Ann Arbor, MI
    Tax Support Intern................................................................................Month 2011-Present

this also makes it easy to add multiple positions in the future if you get promoted but the (just add a second italic line with the old position but have the bullet points describe the best of both positions)

I like that...probably because it is set in Garamond with lines (instead of shaded rows) and my resume has always been in Adobe Garamond and had lines...

And I agree on the interests line. If you have room, drop this below the skills because it gives you something nice for the interviewer to ask about. I think mine is something like "Cyclocross, Photography, Sailing, Computers, Music" and I noticed a definite difference when I changed from cycling/bicycling to cyclocross....people want to ask about it and it sort of helps build rapport and to pass an "airport test"

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  14. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

I put "skeet shooting" and got a few :eh: 's but i found the bankers got a kick out of it - got asked by a few guys to recommend some spots that they could take their clients. Made for an easy topic to discuss in the thank you note. Didn't end up getting the job but came damn near.

15. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

It was the main Navigant Consulting: http://www.navigant.com/ applied in career section on their webpage.

So here's what i've tried to do so far, still work in progress:

I went ahead and used that Sample chrisjr has, but I will eventually format it a little differently, unless he does not mind me using his sample.

I tried to include projects and results rather than general statements of job duties.

I limited my leadership activities to Return of the Strangers and Media/Tech Chair for a university club.

I put my computer skills on one line underneath everything else.

I completely removed (for the time being) my (Part-Time) Business Manager position and my University Support position. So I have a lot of white space.

[ATTACHMENT=2516]Saturdays_Resume_2012.docx (25k. docx file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Now I am trying to figure out what to do with the remaining white space, but not make it too crowded like it was before, and only throw in relevant items.

Let's just stick with gearing for entry level corporate finance jobs. That is my main concern.