• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taupe suit for summer wedding - shirt/tie?

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ekimneems
That def would look nice. I'm wondering if the old lady will veto that because purple isn't in "the color scheme" (ugh!). They also make that in a nice solid blue I see.

And I've actually been thinking of going MTM and I like the idea of maybe a smaller collar or doing some cooler stuff with the shirt rather than going crazy on patterns/colors.

I agree on the brown stripe/brown tie look too... I think I have something in the closet like that but no solid brown tie. Maybe I'll pick one up

While I haven't done it with a tie, I've paired a very similar suit (J. Crew cotton version) with a brown/white bangle stripe shirt from Zara and a pair of chocolate shoes and thought it worked really really well. And that way you're not coming close to, but still violating, the color scheme. If a brown knit tie isn't an option, perhaps a solid silk tie with some texture to it, because I think anything other than a matte finish tie could look off with the rest of the outfit (JMHO on the last point).

And if she says she wants you to match the table cloths, just ask her whether she's marrying you or the tables, and let her sit and ponder that one for a few weeks, wondering what it means
lol8[1].gif

ekimneems

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
^No ****.

OP do what Shore said.

That's what I'm leaning towards, thanks. Going to check out MTM first (will be my first time for shirts). The tie I'll probably just pull the trigger on that J Press Grenadine one today

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
wore this to a wedding last year. Brighter blue shirt with white contrast club collar. Decided against a tie last minute and was glad i did. Was an outside wedding and was not out of place whatsoever without a tie. In fact, i looked much more natural than the people in their oversized charcoal mens warehouse suits got compliments on the look
85251321255779595358329.jpg
[/IMG] Yea, vibrant blues work nicely depending on the color of the suit. hard to tell from your pics but mine was a nice light khaki. Shoreman's recs looked good to me

Captain Winky

Reaction score
That's what I'm leaning towards, thanks. Going to check out MTM first (will be my first time for shirts). The tie I'll probably just pull the trigger on that J Press Grenadine one today

Might I suggest a back-up RTW shirt as well. You can leave it in the package and return it once you get your MTM job back and know it fits. But if they ******* up, or it's late/gets lost in the mail, you'll have something to fall back on, unless you already have something suitable.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers makes some nice light coloured stuff

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
wore this to a wedding last year. Brighter blue shirt with white contrast club collar. Decided against a tie last minute and was glad i did. Was an outside wedding and was not out of place whatsoever without a tie. In fact, i looked much more natural than the people in their oversized charcoal mens warehouse suits

got compliments on the look

85251321255779595358329.jpg
[/IMG]

Yea, vibrant blues work nicely depending on the color of the suit. hard to tell from your pics but mine was a nice light khaki. Shoreman's recs looked good to me

Even though that's a club collar, everytime I see contrasting collar/cuff shirts, I tend to think of either Gordon Gekko or pompous power attorneys.

And +1 on Shore's advice.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say plain crisp white shirt and a forrest green grenadine. Or navy silk knitted with white dots on a white shirt. Thrown in a white linen square
img7104ev.jpg
or
paul-stuart-knit-tie.jpg

ekimneems

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
If you really want a pattern, ice-blue gingham and solid navy knit, maybe a grenadine, would be top-shelf, IMO.

Edit:

Hilditch+Key, lthough they're offering it in French/double cuff and you probably want barrel cuff.

Drakes.

EDIT EVEN MORE:

If you prefer USA USA USA, J press has a BD gingham in a less icy blue, which they're conveniently paired with a navy knit. They also sell a navy grenadine, and best of all both are on sale.

Pulled the trigger on the J Press gingham shirt and the navy grenadine tie (I would've grabbed the knit if it weren't straight at the bottom). Thanks, great suggestions.

Now to just find the last thing: the right pocket square. I wanted to try and incorporate another color like yellow, purple, or brown. What do you think?

Kent Wang has some cool ones, like this one maybe:

file_2_5.jpg

Or one of these from Howard Yount

square_2009_fall_silk_border_navy_brown_1.jpg

square_2010_spring_linen_flower_brown_1.jpg

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on the J Press gingham shirt and the navy grenadine tie (I would've grabbed the knit if it weren't straight at the bottom). Thanks, great suggestions.

Now to just find the last thing: the right pocket square. I wanted to try and incorporate another color like yellow, purple, or brown. What do you think?

Kent Wang has some cool ones, like this one maybe:

file_2_5.jpg

Or one of these from Howard Yount

square_2009_fall_silk_border_navy_brown_1.jpg

square_2010_spring_linen_flower_brown_1.jpg

I think it could look too busy. Your suit is already patterned and you picked up a gingham shirt. Introducing another color in there may be too much. Not saying it can't work though.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a great looking suit and the suggestion of the navy Drakes tie is excellent. I would avoid the check shirt with a plaid suit. I absolutely guarantee that photos of the event will look soooooo dated in a few years with that combo. The check shirt fad going on now is fine for more casual events but a wedding? If you want something more than a solid blue shirt I highly recommend blue end-on-end. It is very classic and will compliment the tie and suit fabrics.

I don't like any of the PS suggestions.

ekimneems

Reaction score
I can see that. Maybe just a solid navy blue?

Edit: Meant to reply to Timbaland about the pocket squares

@pocketsquareguy: That could be true too. I'm not that worried that I ordered that awesome check shirt because, well... it's awesome. So maybe I'll try a plain white with the navy grenadine tie and see how that looks as well. It's an outdoor/"smart casual" wedding so that is sort of the theme. The reason I avoided the square-bottom knit tie is because I thought it might look dated in a few years

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads