• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Big Mac Index was a concept created by the Economist in the 80’s. Economics profs like to use it as a more fun way to teach concepts like inflation. You know, in like...college and stuff

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A friend just sent me a local credit union's rates. 30 year mortgage at 2.375% for new purchase; 3.0% for refi

And I thought I was so cool when I got 3.375% on a refi from my CU earlier in the summer. I should have held out another month or so. :(

Wonder why the refi is higher?

Aren't they always? This was my first refi, but I got the impression that you always paid a premium over new.

That said, everyone quoted me .25%, which seems to have grown over the summer.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sorry, never did a refi...I wonder if I took 100k out if that would count as a refi?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure there's always a difference, because was my first (and hopefully last) refinance, and I know things in the mortgage world are a little different right now than they are normally. However, it was definitely ubiquitous among the people I talked to a couple/few months back, and I didn't get any indication that a spread on a refi vs. a new purchase was something they'd added during COVID.

You're talking about a home equity loan, which would be a second loan with its own term. A refi resets the whole mortgage.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I don't have a mortgage, so technically, it would be new I figure.

Reactions: MrG

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which one of you wrote this?

image.jpg

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, never did a refi...I wonder if I took 100k out if that would count as a refi?
Yes. I (well, technically the wife and I) were recently looking at doing this because CASH! Well, that and a future kitchen remodel and a bonkers stock market. The rates are higher for cash out refinances but we have a close relationship with our mortgage broker and he's all like "Its still a no brainer because you can refi again in 6 months back down to a lower rate and with rates staying so low you would still be lower than your current mortgage." ?? . Of course, having that close relationship means they waive most if not all of the closing costs so it only ends up being like $500 to refi with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads