• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring Question– thinking of shortening a jacket. Thoughts?

pinoy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm considering shortening the jacket pictured below but am unsure if it will look odd given the jacket's gorge, button stance, etc. A few notes:

1. The jacket length is currently 31 inches. I'll need to shorten it approx 2 inches.

2. As the jacket has patch pockets, I'll most likely be moving the patch pockets a little higher to compensate for the shortened length. (Should be quite easy to do, no?)

3. There isn't a traditional button on this jacket--instead the "string" has an opening which hooks onto the button and closes the jacket.

4. I'll be shortening the sleeves too if that matters.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the matter. And I'm really hoping despos will reply to this thread, as he seems to be well regarded around this forum.
smile.gif

isjacket.jpg

Thanks everyone!

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you could wear it in a picture for us.
but please dont pose like a model. just stand like a man.

pinoy

Reaction score
unfortunately, i do not own the jacket. i'm considering purchasing it if shortening the length is a viable option. also, where is this reference to posing like a model coming from?
laugh.gif

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Two inches is alot and there is already no room and moving the pockets could destroy the jacket even more

pinoy

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies dragon8 and Sleats. It looks like I won't be purchasing/tailoring the jacket!

In any case, a few clarifying questions if you don't mind:

Dragon: why would moving the pockets destroy it even more? Wouldn't that help with the altered proportions?

Sleats: I was under the impression that 31" is quite long in length for a jacket?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinoy
unfortunately, i do not own the jacket. i'm considering purchasing it if shortening the length is a viable option. also, where is this reference to posing like a model coming from?
laugh.gif

the shortening can be done if the pockets are raised.
we would all like to see what the jacket looks like on you. since you ask for the groups opinions.
i think all are curious about the button arrangement.

take a look at the photos some folks submit. many are useless when they pose as though for a GQ shoot.

pinoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
the shortening can be done if the pockets are raised.
we would all like to see what the jacket looks like on you. since you ask for the groups opinions.
i think all are curious about the button arrangement.

take a look at the photos some folks submit. many are useless when they pose as though for a GQ shoot.

thank for your advise a tailor
i'd love to be able to try on the jacket in person, but it is being sold on another forum and i have no way of trying on the piece without purchasing it first.

i'll consider the purchase if the seller can lower the price significantly but at the moment i feel like it is not worth the risk.

if i do go ahead with the purchase, i will gladly post pictures for all.

brittain, what is sticking out of the sleeves are "inner sleeves" almost as if one were wearing a long sleeved t-shirt underneath the jacket. however, these sleeves are longer and have an opening for one's thumb. i realize this is quite a departure from the more traditional pieces one sees on MC, but i find the detail to be a nice touch. for reference, attached is a picture of the jacket worn by a model below. On one hand the thumb hole is used, on the other it is not and looks like a regular sleeve. one can also bunch it up on the wrist instead of having it hang all the way down.

_MG_1166-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads